Root Explorer, what are some tips/tricks that an be done with it?

This is a discussion on Root Explorer, what are some tips/tricks that an be done with it? within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; I'm very new to the whole rooting thing, so I'm learning something everyday, besides being on this site all weekend looking things up. So, I've ...

Thread: Root Explorer, what are some tips/tricks that an be done with it?

X Operative
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Post Root Explorer, what are some tips/tricks that an be done with it?

I'm very new to the whole rooting thing, so I'm learning something everyday, besides being on this site all weekend looking things up. So, I've purchased Root Explorer, now what are some of the things that I can do with it? I know this is probably a VERY broad question, but please realize, Iam a noob to this site, and rooting in general.
    Droid X
    Liberty 1.5 w/ Epic Blue Theme
    Launcher Pro
    OC'd @ 1.15 LV

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I've used it to freeze the stock apps that I didn't need, like DLNA and the music player. They call it bloat. We shouldn't delete those because we need them on our phones when we download updates. So we just freeze them (rename them in this case) and thaw them when we need them present again. The thread I followed was called something like "Removing The Bloat 2.2 OTA". I've also used Root Explorer to extract zip files.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    theres really no tricks its just a file manager with root permissions. if anything you shouldnt mess around with it without a purpose

Agent X
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Be careful though you could ruin your phone if u go deleting stuff. Do your research before you try removing bloat. I honestly prefer freezing bloat with titanium backup.

Warm Gingerbread with super user icing

X Operative
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 1.4%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottpole View Post
    Be careful though you could ruin your phone if u go deleting stuff. Do your research before you try removing bloat. I honestly prefer freezing bloat with titanium backup.

+1 I would like to know any useful things to do with root explorer as well before I buy it.

X Pursuant Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Download a custom boot animation and rename it to bootanimation.zip. copy it and navigate to /system/media and paste. Reboot and enjoy.

Navigate to /system/app. To remove system apps, you can delete them. To freeze them, rename them to whateverappname.bak. Copy and paste apps to this folder to make them a "system" app. Doing this gives it a higher priority on your phone and Android is less likely to kill the process. For example, if you use adw or launcher pro, you may want to make it a "system" app.

Navigate to /data/app. These are the apps you download...FYI

Navigate to /system/framework and locate framework-res.apk. DO NOT delete or freeze this. If you ever get into theming, this is the file to work with. Long press the app and hit "extract". Now navigate to /sdcard/extracted and browse through the file you just created. Any images look familiar?

Note that you could potentially brick your phone if you get careless. Always make a backup before making changes. Always reboot after making changes to see those changes.

X Pursuant Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Oh yea..../system/media/audio contains all of the sounds for your phone (ringtones, notifications, etc). You can copy, add, or delete them from here.

hey i downoaded root explorer on my samsung infuse 4g, and i went into system/app and clicked install on the "systemUI.apk" and it removed my status bar which was cool for a bit, but now i want it back, can someone help me plz?
    or email me at xshamsher.khan at gmail dot com

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registeredCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    There are certainly easier and less permanent ways to hide the status bar than that.

That said, I'm unsure about what recovery methods exist for that phone (probably have better luck at a forum specifically for that phone) but a simple reboot may fix it

(V) {;,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop
    Scuttering along like Zoidberg, on the move

Remove Ads

Ads