How do SBF files work?

This is a discussion on How do SBF files work? within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; There are many threads covering how to use an SBF file. What I'm curious about is how they work. The latest files are the full ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do SBF files work?

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times

How do SBF files work?

There are many threads covering how to use an SBF file. What I'm curious about is how they work. The latest files are the full SBF for 2.3.32 and the system only for 2.3.340. I'm assuming that the system only file only works with the system partition. What partitions does the full SBF modify? What data does the full sbf not touch?
    I of course apologize in advance if this topic has been covered elsewhere, I just have not been able to find it.
    Thanks!
    Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    SBF is system-behavior-function. It is like flashing your entire phone to the way it is out-of-the-box, including system files, boot loader, and kernel for a particular system version.

System only SBFs only cover the system files and can only be used on a phone that already has the matching bootloader and kernel versions for that system version to restore the system files on the phone. for example, if you flash a system-only SBF for 2.2.1 on a phone that last had its kernel or bootloader updated at 2.1.1, you will brick your phone, because the kernel and bootloader are only upgraded to 2.1.1 but the system files will be for 2.2.1 and your system files will therefore be incompatible with your kernel/bootloader. It's like if you had a computer running windows Vista and then changed only the C:/Windows files to Windows 7 without updating the rest of the computer's software or drivers. It wouldn't run.

A factory reset only erases USER data, it does not restore the phone's system files to out-of-the-box. In order to restore your OS, you must SBF, which basically is like reformatting and reinstalling your OS on a blank hard drive rather than just deleting all your personal files but leaving your OS (and any modifications you've made to it) installed (factory reset).
    Last edited by joeyjackpot; 12-20-2010 at 09:31 AM.
    Troubles installing OTA 2.3.340 Update? Click Here

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Thanks!
    I have seen posts from folks still seeing the Tranquility boot logo after an sbf. And after an sbf my old wallpaper was still there. Though I'm guessing it may just be looking for a certain file on the sd card. Would the boot logo possibly be something that the full sbf wouldnt modify?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Agent X
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    I have never done an SBF. I have been told that many times it hangs or will not actually register as complete. It uses several hacks to get it to work from home. While I'm sure it's reliable when using the official software at a Moto/Verizon store or repair center, the at home version is somewhat of a jury rigged version of the actual SBF implementation process, so it does not surprise me that people don't see 100% results.

A system only SBF may not include a boot logo, or the SBF may have not worked 100%. It's less likely that an SBF file is missing something and more likely that it wasn't performed 100% successfully.
    Troubles installing OTA 2.3.340 Update? Click Here

+ Reply to Thread

Ads