Removing the Bloat 2.2 OTA - (3 Ways) Super Easy & Safe, Safe & Easy, Free

This is a discussion on Removing the Bloat 2.2 OTA - (3 Ways) Super Easy & Safe, Safe & Easy, Free within the Droid X Hacking Guides forums, part of the Droid X Development category; Originally Posted by sfacimma Lets try that again... Post away brother.... ;-) Wow, I just saw this since this thread became active again. I'm on ...

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Removing the Bloat 2.2 OTA - (3 Ways) Super Easy & Safe, Safe & Easy, Free

X Operative
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sfacimma View Post
    Lets try that again... Post away brother....

;-)
    Wow, I just saw this since this thread became active again. I'm on Gingerbread, but still have the list from Froyo. Do you still need it?

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ryant35 View Post
    The root explorers have the option to mount your phone as R/O read only, or R/W read write. Look in your app options to set to read write so it gives you permission to change the files. The Root Explorer app has the R/O R/W button at the top of the window.
    Thanks, but I'm just not having any luck.

As far as I can tell, it is mounted R/W. When I launch the app it tells me it's been granted Root Permissions, which is what the option inside the app was made for. And when I look at permissions of the file, it says "Owner" has R and W permissions, though Group and All have only R. But when I add W to Group and All, it doesn't save it. Same thing happens when I do that to the App directory itself.

So I keep getting the error.

Are there other apps that can do this which aren't paid apps? TiBU seems likan 800lb gorilla, and I just don't know about spending money for an app which I'm going to use 1 time, for 1 thing for a grand total of about 10 minutes (if that). (I'm not trying to pirate anything, I'm seeking an app that isn't a paid app, that's all)
    Nextel i1000+ -> Motorola Razr V3 -> Droid X

Agent X
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Usquanigo View Post
    Thanks, but I'm just not having any luck.

As far as I can tell, it is mounted R/W. When I launch the app it tells me it's been granted Root Permissions, which is what the option inside the app was made for. And when I look at permissions of the file, it says "Owner" has R and W permissions, though Group and All have only R. But when I add W to Group and All, it doesn't save it. Same thing happens when I do that to the App directory itself.

So I keep getting the error.

Are there other apps that can do this which aren't paid apps? TiBU seems likan 800lb gorilla, and I just don't know about spending money for an app which I'm going to use 1 time, for 1 thing for a grand total of about 10 minutes (if that). (I'm not trying to pirate anything, I'm seeking an app that isn't a paid app, that's all)
    TiBu also backs up all your apps and app data, I use it all the time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    ---
    Liberty 3 -- too many roms too little time.

X Conveyor
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ryant35 View Post
    TiBu also backs up all your apps and app data, I use it all the time.

Yeah, I just don't see that much need for it. Isn't that all included in a nandroid BU anyway? App data I'm not to worried about either way, just the apps themselves, and even that is technically minor, it's more the OS and customizations that I would worry about if I were backing up. So.... yeah, like I said, powerful, but overkill for me.

Agent X
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Yeah, I just don't see that much need for it. Isn't that all included in a nandroid BU anyway? App data I'm not to worried about either way, just the apps themselves, and even that is technically minor, it's more the OS and customizations that I would worry about if I were backing up. So.... yeah, like I said, powerful, but overkill for me.
    Nandroid backup works for restoring everything, but if you decide to switch roms that require a wipe you will need TiBu to restore your apps.

---
    Liberty 3 -- too many roms too little time.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    460 times
    Errors renaming?

I have the rooted .596, deodexed, have verified root, run D2 bootstrapper to make a system backup before messing with anything. Got an app called File Expert which is free and has root file access. Granted it root permission. Went into the root dir, then system, then apps, but when I try to rename anything (like amazon mp3 or blockbuster, for ex), I get a message saying there was an error and nothing happens.

Anybody have any idea what this is and how to work around it?
    The file being listed as Read Write is different than mounting the file system read/write.
    Go to the market and get AntTek AppManager, it's free. Then use it to freeze the apps you were going to rename, it's safer that way anyway. for future reference, get Super Manager, its a file explorrer that will give you a popup everytime asking if you want to mount system r/w or r/o

X Conveyor
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDude View Post
    The file being listed as Read Write is different than mounting the file system read/write.
    Go to the market and get AntTek AppManager, it's free. Then use it to freeze the apps you were going to rename, it's safer that way anyway. for future reference, get Super Manager, its a file explorrer that will give you a popup everytime asking if you want to mount system r/w or r/o
    Thanks very much! That did the trick for me.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Remove Ads

Ads