[EASY HOW-TO] Vanilla Android Boot Animation on Any ROM

This is a discussion on [EASY HOW-TO] Vanilla Android Boot Animation on Any ROM within the Droid X Hacking Guides forums, part of the Droid X Development category; Hey everybody...I found an easy method to switch to the vanilla android boot animation, so I decided to throw together a quick guide. You know ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: [EASY HOW-TO] Vanilla Android Boot Animation on Any ROM

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    200 times

[HOW-TO] Vanilla Android Boot Animation on Any ROM

Hey everybody...I found an easy method to switch to the vanilla android boot animation, so I decided to throw together a quick guide.

You know this animation if you ran Apex 1.3...it simply displays "android" and the light reflects across it. See pic below if you haven't seen it before...it's actually my personal favorite due to its simplicity.

android-boot2.jpg

UPDATE (3/17): USE THIS NEW UNIVERSAL METHOD (Old methods remain below for reference)

Universal Method (use this):

Download bootanimation from this link: (credit: Gorgarath for creating a flashable zip and uploading...big thanks)
    Default Android Boot Animation

Flash via bootstrap:

Select "Install zip from sd card"
    Find "DefaultAndroid-bootanimation.zip" (most likely in "Download" folder")
    Install zip
    Reboot system now
    Enjoy!

Old Method #1:

Old Method #1 only works on ROMs where there is a bootanimation.zip in system/media. Check system/media in root explorer. If it's not there, use method #2 below.

Advanced User Instructions:

Remove bootanimation.zip from "system/media/" and it will default to vanilla android boot animation. I suggest moving bootanimation.zip to your SD card so that you have a backup of your current animation.

To restore old animation, move bootanimation.zip from sd card back to "system/media".

That's it, in a nutshell...read complete instructions below if you need them.

Instructions:

REQUIRED: Root Explorer ($2 in market, very useful app)

Must Be Rooted

- Open Root Explorer
    - Navigate to "system"
    - Navigate to "media"
    - Long press "bootanimation.zip"
    - Select Move
    - Press back button twice
    - Navigate to "sdcard"
    - Press Paste

And that's it...now you have the vanilla android boot animation and a backup of your old boot animation on your sd card. Reboot and test it out!

To restore your old boot animation:

- Open Root Explorer
    - Navigate to "sdcard"
    - Long Press bootanimation.zip
    - Select Move
    - Press Back button once
    - Navigate to "System"
    - Navigate to "Media"
    - Select Paste

...and you've got your old animation back.

Old Method #2 (thanks to macpro88):

-Delete the bootanimation.zip in the /data/local/ (if you're on Liberty 1.5 or ApeX 1.4.X)

-Install the bootanimation.zip downloaded from Fission Rom Manager Lite in bootstrap

- Use the app to download the bootanimation.zip, boot into bootstrap.
    - Recommended: Make a backup before flashing
    - In bootstrap, choose zip to install, navigate to /sdcard/Fission/Add_Ons

If this does not show the boot animation and just a black screen, using Root Explorer, make sure that there is only one bootanimation.zip in /system/media/ and make sure there is NO bootanimation.zip in /data/local/. Also make sure permissions are rw-r--r--.

Post any feedback or questions that you have...enjoy!
    Last edited by C Dippa; 03-17-2011 at 01:07 PM.
    macpro88 likes this.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 9.2%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    In ApeX 1.4.1, the bootanimation.zip is located in /data/local instead of /system/media. I also tried removing the bootanimation.zip on my ApeX 1.4.1 install and got a blank screen instead of the default.

(On a side note, if you place a bootanimation.zip in /data/local it will over-ride any boot animation in /system/media.)
    List of custom boot animations and logos.
    If you want a custom boot animation or logo, let me know.
    I can also add sound to your current boot animation.

Just got my work laptop back from my wife who had been borrowing it for a bit and will be installing all my tools on it so I can get back to work.
    My Droid X is currently running undervolted at stock speeds on ApeX 1.4.1.

If you have lost your mind and feel the need, you can contact me for my "new used laptop fund" link.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgarath View Post
    In ApeX 1.4.1, the bootanimation.zip is located in /data/local instead of /system/media. I also tried removing the bootanimation.zip on my ApeX 1.4.1 install and got a blank screen instead of the default.

(On a side note, if you place a bootanimation.zip in /data/local it will over-ride any boot animation in /system/media.)
    Thanks for trying it...I just updated my sig to say Apex 1.4.1, and after you mentioned it didn't work for you, I checked and I'm still on 1.4.0...oops. I did download 1.4.1 to load and picked through it, and sure enough, Fab moved it to data/local in 1.4.1.

It works on Apex 1.4.0, and it also works on my Nook Color running a Froyo ROM, so I guess I jumped the gun on assuming it would work for all.

Updated OP to state that this would only work if your ROM is running the bootanimation.zip from system/media. Make a backup first if you're really paranoid, but you should just be able to replace the bootanimation.zip if you run into problems.

Edit: Oh, and mods, how can I change the title to not say "on any ROM"?

Agent X
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 9.2%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by C Dippa View Post
    Thanks for trying it...I just updated my sig to say Apex 1.4.1, and after you mentioned it didn't work for you, I checked and I'm still on 1.4.0...oops. I did download 1.4.1 to load and picked through it, and sure enough, Fab moved it to data/local in 1.4.1.
    Hehe, I had tried almost everything I could think of, but couldn't come up with a solution, saw your post and thought, sweet, don't need to try anything else. But yeah, I already knew your steps didn't work on 1.4.1 since I had already tried it. Fab seems to have modified something or didn't include something that left this backup boot animation available. (I thought I had something, but just looked and it's not it.)

It works on Apex 1.4.0, and it also works on my Nook Color running a Froyo ROM, so I guess I jumped the gun on assuming it would work for all.
    It most likely should work, but for some reason, it doesn't on ApeX 1.4.1, I'll do some digging and see if I can't find out why or if any other ROMs have this issue.

Updated OP to state that this would only work if your ROM is running the bootanimation.zip from system/media. Make a backup first if you're really paranoid, but you should just be able to replace the bootanimation.zip if you run into problems.
    It should work on ROMs that use /data/local or /system/media (or apparently as in the apparent case of Liberty, or so I've been told, both locations) as long as you remove it from both. From what I think I've worked out, the phone searches for a boot animation in this order, /data/local/bootanimation.zip > /system/media/bootanimation.zip > default Android boot animation.

Edit: Oh, and mods, how can I change the title to not say "on any ROM"?
    You can't change the name of a thread as it will mess up the links. You can get the thread merged with another with the title you want, but hopefully we'll figure out why it isn't working and come up with a fix so that your thread title will be correct.

EDIT: Oh, and Root Explorer isn't strictly required. Root access is required and you could use the terminal or ADB to remove bootanimation.zip, but Root Explorer is certainly easier than that for most people.
    Last edited by Gorgarath; 03-03-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Root Explorer dependancy
    List of custom boot animations and logos.
    If you want a custom boot animation or logo, let me know.
    I can also add sound to your current boot animation.

Just got my work laptop back from my wife who had been borrowing it for a bit and will be installing all my tools on it so I can get back to work.
    My Droid X is currently running undervolted at stock speeds on ApeX 1.4.1.

If you have lost your mind and feel the need, you can contact me for my "new used laptop fund" link.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    In Liberty 1.5 the boot animation is also in /data/local/.

I love this boot animation because of its simplicity, do you have a link you can provide in the OP to get this animation? I can never find it...

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macpro88 View Post
    In Liberty 1.5 the boot animation is also in /data/local/.

I love this boot animation because of its simplicity, do you have a link you can provide in the OP to get this animation? I can never find it...
    Actually, thinking about it...when I first loaded Liberty, I downloaded the animation from Fission Rom Manager, and flashed using Clockworkmod. It's located in the "Fission" folder.

I got Fission Rom Manager from Wug's thread with the different colored markets:

Black, Dark Red, Emerald & Dark Blue Android Market

And the animation is called "BootAnimation: Android"

This should work on the ROMs that load boot animation from data/local...make a backup first!
    Last edited by C Dippa; 03-07-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    macpro88 likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Actually, thinking about it...when I first loaded Liberty, I downloaded the animation from Fission Rom Manager, then found it in the "Fission" folder, renamed to bootanimation.zip, and then moved it into data/local.

I got Fission Rom Manager from Wug's thread with the different colored markets:

Black, Dark Red, Emerald & Dark Blue Android Market

And the animation is called "BootAnimation: Android"

This should work on the ROMs that load boot animation from data/local...
    Sweet, thank you!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macpro88 View Post
    Sweet, thank you!
    Well, tested that and renaming to bootanimation.zip doesn't work...I realized those animations have to be flashed via CWM. They worked for me but may not work for you, so make a backup.

Updated instructions above your post...

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Well, tested that and renaming to bootanimation.zip doesn't work...I realized those animations have to be flashed via CWM. They worked for me but may not work for you, so make a backup.

Updated instructions above your post...
    Haha, I just tried this too, I even changed permissions, I guess I will try in CWM, I just got a black screen, no boot loop though, thank goodness...

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Ok, so this is how I got it to work:

-Deleted the bootanimation.zip in the /data/local/ (if your on Liberty 1.5 or ApeX 1.4.X)

-Installed the bootanimation.zip downloaded from Fission Rom Manager Lite in bootstrap
    --Use the app to download the bootanimation.zip, boot into boostrap.
    --In bootstrap, choose zip to install, navigate to /sdcard/Fission/Add_Ons

If this does not show the boot animation and just a black screen, using Root Explorer, make sure that there is only one bootanimation.zip in /system/media/ and make sure there is NO bootanimation.zip in /data/local/. Also make sure permissions are rw-r--r--.
    C Dippa likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads