Droid X's or Garmin GPS?

This is a discussion on Droid X's or Garmin GPS? within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I hope this is the right place to post this question at. Though I bought the Droid X just yesterday and since it's on backorder ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Droid X's or Garmin GPS?

Droid X's or Garmin GPS?

I hope this is the right place to post this question at. Though I bought the Droid X just yesterday and since it's on backorder I should have it by this week. But I was wondering if the gps worked as good as a Garmin? See I have a Garmin myself, and figured if the Droid X has one then maybe i should sell my Garmin. Though is the gps free? Reliable? User friendly? Those are the 3 main concerns. I have only used a gps once from a cell, on my friends blackberry and it kept loseing signals from satlites, that's why I chose to stick to a normal gps with my last cell. The last phone i had gave me a reason to get rid of the mp3. Now i'm wondering about the gps. Should I keep the Garmin for now or is the Droid X a good enough gps where I don't need a Garmin anymore?

Please tell me your experence from a past droid phone or your current Droid X and what you think of it, thanks!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    free? yes (google navigator)
    reliable? pretty damn good from what i've played with so far (replaced my gps..)
    user friendly? as with anything there's a couple annoyances, but really not bad

in the end you should wait and judge for yourself, but i was thoroughly impressed

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I have a DX & also a Garmin 255w; I find the DX just as reliable and accurate. As far as user friendly, right now the simplicity of hte Garmin UI is hard to beat but I do not think the learning curve is steep at all. I am already selling my Garmin unit to a friend.

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i've been using the DX for GPS and it has replaced my garmin. very accurate in the few days i've owned the DX. however, make sure you have a car charger as it drains the battery rather quickly.

Well i guess since it's free i can try it and decide from there. Does it direct you to the movies, mall, lodgeing, airport or places to eat if you ask like a garmin does? it's just i'd be so glad to combine another gadget of mine into the cell as i see you two have. Does it have any other features like the garmin gps has on it? And when you use yours it doesnt say searching for satilite does it? Cause I wouldn't mind selling my gps for extra cash if my dx can do the same things, lol

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The Droid X's navigation will constantly update the roads and transportation routes unlike the Garmin GPS's installed maps. Upgrading your map on the Garmin GPS every year can cost a fortune also

X Informant
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Howdy,
    With using the google voice commands "navigate to 456 mockingbird lane, dallas, texas" it will simply turn on navigation and go. You can really makes use of the voice features and ask for things.

X Lurker Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have on-board nav in my truck...honestly, I could not tell you the last time I used it. Also, the nice thing about the Google Nav...it is updated automatically versus a nav system which requires manual updating.

With that said, if you are looking for a GPS for hiking, geocaching, or something along those lines...the Google Nav may not have all those features. Granted, there is a app that tracks distance and altitude, so who knows.

Best to play with it and see if it meets your needs.
    TKUnderground.com --> www.tkunderground.com
    Outdoor-Forums.com --> www.outdoor-forums.com
    CommanderTalk.com --> www.commandertalk.com

X Operative
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    We used one (Google Nav in Droid 1) to get across America the last two weeks. Worked like a charm.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    I love My DroidX, as I have my Past Android Powered Devices. This is my Opinion on Google Nav

While it's GPS Navigation is really good. I'll KEEP MY TomTom handy. Google Nav Downloads Maps as you go, in the city this should be just fine. If you go off the grid (no data access), You lose this ability to DL them as you go. Now it has been said, that if your route is planned out before hand, it downloads the maps ahead of time. Not sure if this is true though. Since my TomTom doesn't need to do this, I consider it the better of the two for Navigation. But in saying this, My first choice is my Android device for Nav locally, The TomTom comes out for longer trips where I need my phone to survive the hours on the road without having to pull out a charger and a car mount for the Nav features.

I do love the speech to search functions too. Love being able to get directions from a google search to my destination.Love the graphics.

Let us all know your thoughts on the DroidX's nav too.
    Where Ever You Go, There You Are

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads