GPS users, beware, no wireless signal no map

This is a discussion on GPS users, beware, no wireless signal no map within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I took a trip today to the mountain where I had my X the car mount and clicked on location so that I can figure ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: GPS users, beware, no wireless signal no map

X Informant
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

GPS users, beware, no wireless signal no map

I took a trip today to the mountain where I had my X the car mount and clicked on location so that I can figure out where I am and what road is in front of me. Location works very well as long as I am driving in the city and where there is a 3g signal but once I started getting away from the city toward the mountain the map disappeared, only white page with a blue circle and then I noticed than no wirless signal is available but the GPS was working and the speed given was correct, the compass was working as well.

Luckily I had my Tomtom GPS with me which was working flawlessly.

I tried to enable and disable the location and security options (wireless, GPS, aGPS) but nothing helped. Therefore, if you are driving in an area where there is no wireless signal then you will get lost and there is no map to be shown on the screen. The map will be downloaded for certain redius according to your location but once you get away to the no signal area there will be no further downloading.

Is there a solution for this?

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Try loading the area your going to before you start driving, since it was still showing you where you were if the map is loaded then you should be able to see road, ect. if its already loaded. dunno if that will work but its the only thing I could think of...

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    i have driven thru mountains recently with nav and no problem at all.

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It doesn't work that way. Unlike a tom tom it does not store map data for anything past the planned route. You need a data connection to plan the initial route, it downloads tter maps needed for that trip, then if you lose data connection it still works, unless you change destination or deviate too far from the route when you are without data connection.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

X Informant
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AFcanesFan View Post
    It doesn't work that way. Unlike a tom tom it does not store map data for anything past the planned route. You need a data connection to plan the initial route, it downloads tter maps needed for that trip, then if you lose data connection it still works, unless you change destination or deviate too far from the route when you are without data connection.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    SO what you are saying I have to plane a route and click on navigate so it downloads the data, and anything out of the route will not be shown when there is no connection?

For getting the data downloaded in advance, all I need to do is se;ect navigate from A to B?

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
    i have driven thru mountains recently with nav and no problem at all.
    If planing the route in advance solves the problem then that is why you have not faced any problem, or you may had data connection. Which one?

3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    SO what you are saying I have to plane a route and click on navigate so it downloads the data, and anything out of the route will not be shown when there is no connection?

For getting the data downloaded in advance, all I need to do is se;ect navigate from A to B?
    Yeah pretty much, if you are out of a data connection often there are at least two apps you can buy that store Map Data for off data GPS use, one is Destinator and the other is also one called CoPilot. Destinator is like $70 bucks, and co-pliot is $19.99, but has worse reviews.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 1.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    CoPilot is a waste of money.

I bought it a few months ago because I like playing with different GPS apps, the user interface is really nice but the maps in CoPilot are at least 10 years old.......

~John

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    no data connection where i was.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    So I guess if you are out of data areas a some then either buy copilot and use it only when absolutely needed, and use regular google nav primarily, or if you are out of areas a lot, or like a trucker, then buy the $70.00 Destinator to make it work..

Plumcrazy- You had to have planned the route at some point on a data connection. The phone has a real GPS but has no maps permanently loaded... It knows where it is co-ordinate wise, but not where it is map wise without a data connection to download map data... I wish you could download a very basic road map with no imagery from google to keep on your SD card, but as far as I know you cant... Once you planned the route in the data area, your good to go...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads