GPS users, beware, no wireless signal no map

This is a discussion on GPS users, beware, no wireless signal no map within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Same issue here. I just returned from Ocean City, MD, I had no data connection from Morgantown,WV via I-68, I-70 and finally got 3G in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: GPS users, beware, no wireless signal no map

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Same issue here. I just returned from Ocean City, MD, I had no data connection from Morgantown,WV via I-68, I-70 and finally got 3G in Fredricksburg,MD! Wow like 2 plus hours and no data or GPS?, once I lost the 3G in WV I also lost the Navigation. This is not good news.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    sorry....yes, planned the route in an area where i was connected, then lost connection for a while

X Informant
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mdanehart View Post
    Same issue here. I just returned from Ocean City, MD, I had no data connection from Morgantown,WV via I-68, I-70 and finally got 3G in Fredricksburg,MD! Wow like 2 plus hours and no data or GPS?, once I lost the 3G in WV I also lost the Navigation. This is not good news.
    Agree. This is very furstrating and meaningless. Google should make available basic map for such situations.

3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yeah, I still hang on to my old tom tom just in case, but I love the google traffic on droid...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

X Lurker Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had similar issues in google map app. It also gave me a pop up msg stating it works better with Wifi on whether it's connected or not. I turned it on but that didn't resolve the searching for GPS. I rebooted and went to navigation instead of google map and that worked. Maybe google maps relies on wifi. ANyhow, next time exit map app and go in to nav app instead. You don't have to choose a destination, you can shoose my location.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goracer View Post
    I had similar issues in google map app. It also gave me a pop up msg stating it works better with Wifi on whether it's connected or not. I turned it on but that didn't resolve the searching for GPS. I rebooted and went to navigation instead of google map and that worked. Maybe google maps relies on wifi. ANyhow, next time exit map app and go in to nav app instead. You don't have to choose a destination, you can shoose my location.
    I did that but did not work. Once I lost 3g signal, and 1x as well, the entire map screen turned into white with grids in it no matter what kind of seting I tried. Once I am back and received the 3g sign it back to normal.
    One more thing that annoyed me, if you are not navigating, planned for a trip, then the map direction is always the same, the north of the map is always upwards, even if you have the GPS enabled and driving south. You need to spin your head upside down to get it on the same direction but this problem is not present when you are navigating, only with Google map and my location views.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Ok guys, I risked 7 bucks to tell you this, but now I am very glad I did... There is a app in the market called navdroyd. Its from the UK, but comes out to like 7 dollars US. You can download map data and get turn by turn direction for anywhere in the world, though I just downloaded all the US and Canada for now... A bit over a gb for basic road maps... It works well, I just tested it, though the UI isn't that slick... Be sure when you navigate you click the button beside navigate and click navigate now... So there you go, good enough maps for when you are off data for 7 bucks.. That's a small price to pay for a full function off mobile network gps in your pocket all the time...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    zoe likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Here's a video demonstrating some of NavDroyd's features...

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the find AF. I am downloading the free version, Mapdroyd, and will buy Navdroyd when I go to mountain next time so that I can have offline navigation. This is a very handy program given that someone goes places without network coverage.

X Operative
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've had excellent luck with one of these:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads