Feeling this phone has become a waste of time...

This is a discussion on Feeling this phone has become a waste of time... within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I have just about had it with this phone and the way Verizon/Motorola went about pushing their 'bloat' on to it. Don't get me wrong, ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Feeling this phone has become a waste of time...

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Feeling this phone has become a waste of time...

I have just about had it with this phone and the way Verizon/Motorola went about pushing their 'bloat' on to it.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great phone... But Verizon couldn't leave well enough alone and just have a plain google experience phone, no they had to load block buster, city ID and what not on the phone, and motorola had to put the 'its not called blur but is actually blur' crap on...

What is really ticking me off is I just discovered that when you create/link/update a contact account, it doesn't get sync'd to your google account, instead its on a profile called phone contacts which can only be sync'd with backup assistant. For me, this is drawing the line. When I edit contact information, I expect to see the changes reflected in google.com/contacts... Some of the time they are, most of the time they are not. If I had a contact card for a person in my google account, it is pulled down to the phone. If I edit the contact it stays a google contact. If I link the contact to a facebook contact, it stays a google contact until the user decides to edit their facebook information, then the contact all of a sudden becomes a phone contact and is deleted off of my google.com/contacts list. I've had several contacts over the weekend disappear out of my phone, and after finally getting a hold of them via facebook messaging (because they took their numbers off of their contact page, and I even had contacts originally in my phone before connecting them to facebook) they told me they all changed their privacy settings and pulled/changed their numbers on their profiles.... How the hell is that supposed to flow?
    Last edited by Backnblack; 09-08-2010 at 06:28 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsThree FriendsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    Have you tried rooting and moving to a rom with minimal "bloat"?

X Operative
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jkbff View Post
    I have just about had it with this phone and the way Verizon/Motorola went about pushing their 'bloat' on to it.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great phone... But Verizon couldn't leave well enough alone and just have a plain google experience phone, no they had to load block buster, city ID and what not on the phone, and motorola had to put the 'its not called blur but is actually blur' crap on...

What is really ticking me off is I just discovered that when you create/link/update a contact account, it doesn't get sync'd to your google account, instead its on a profile called phone contacts which can only be sync'd with backup assistant. For me, this is drawing the line. When I edit contact information, I expect to see the changes reflected in google.com/contacts... Some of the time they are, most of the time they are not. If I had a contact card for a person in my google account, it is pulled down to the phone. If I edit the contact it stays a google contact. If I link the contact to a facebook contact, it stays a google contact until the user decides to edit their facebook information, then the contact all of a sudden becomes a phone contact and is deleted off of my google.com/contacts list. I've had several contacts over the weekend disappear out of my phone, and after finally getting a hold of them via facebook messaging (because they took their numbers off of their contact page, and I even had contacts originally in my phone before connecting them to facebook) they told me they all changed their privacy settings and pulled/changed their numbers on their profiles.... How the hell is that supposed to flow?
    Uhh, do you have a real question or ANYTHING that was worth starting a new thread?

Because posts like this should never exist.... If you have a problem with something, ask how to fix it, don't just come on here and bash things.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I have none of the issues you are.

Contacts that come in via the backup manager are only synced to the phone, not Google.
    Get you contacts in a csv file and import them into Google via your PC...Problem solved.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Got the DX mid august and LOVING IT! love the battery life, the customization, tethering, notifications, native navigation, voice actions, list just goes on and on, DLNA/HDMI support, true multi tasking, theres just so much more...

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Lol, I think calling it "a waste of time" is sort of detaching yourself from reality and letting your frustrations take over. I can't understand how people magnify the tiniest of issues. I have never met people like this in real life. Only on the phone forums. This isn't your health care plan, it's not your spouse, your job, or anything else that impacts your health, future, or well-being. This is a little computer glitch on your phone. Keep it in perspective.

X Informant
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    "Feeling this phone has become a waste of time..."

And stop feeling the phone!

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by psychotic_penguin View Post
    I was planning on waiting to see what the 2.2 update would bring, and was hoping motorola and vzw decided to take some of the complaints seriously and remove a lot of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cbaty08 View Post
    Uhh, do you have a real question or ANYTHING that was worth starting a new thread?

Because posts like this should never exist.... If you have a problem with something, ask how to fix it, don't just come on here and bash things.
    Well, first off, this is a general discussion forum and I didn't read anywhere that I was required to ask a question so I wouldn't get flamed. Someone sounds a bit like a fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    I have none of the issues you are.

Contacts that come in via the backup manager are only synced to the phone, not Google.
    Get you contacts in a csv file and import them into Google via your PC...Problem solved.
    When I had the droid and the ally, I never had this issue. I mean the ally never really got facebook contact integration going when I had it, and the droid managed to do it so well. I feel the backup assistant option should have never been added in, or at least it should backup the google contacts and not have 'phone' contacts because having separate contact sources for owner-edited information is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by aohus View Post
    Got the DX mid august and LOVING IT! love the battery life, the customization, tethering, notifications, native navigation, voice actions, list just goes on and on, DLNA/HDMI support, true multi tasking, theres just so much more...
    This phone has a lot going for it, but I think Motorola and Verizon got away from what the android/google experience was supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
    Lol, I think calling it "a waste of time" is sort of detaching yourself from reality and letting your frustrations take over. I can't understand how people magnify the tiniest of issues. I have never met people like this in real life. Only on the phone forums. This isn't your health care plan, it's not your spouse, your job, or anything else that impacts your health, future, or well-being. This is a little computer glitch on your phone. Keep it in perspective.
    I wouldn't exactly say I am detaching my self from reality, but my phone is my lifeline. Its the only form of communication I really have, its always on me, everything I do is done either on it or through it. I guess when I am used to having contact information in the phone, I feel completely lost when I go to contact someone and their information is no longer there and I didn't actively remove it. But, I do see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanDroid View Post
    "Feeling this phone has become a waste of time..."

And stop feeling the phone!
    Truth be told, this phone does feel amazing. Its design, the lines and the textures, its all so... intoxicating!! :-)

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by psychotic_penguin View Post
    Oh, since you mentioned it, what method would I have to go about getting to a vanilla 2.2 rom that would be considered 'google experience' where there wouldn't be any motorola applications controlling the social networking integration, or verizon backup assistant making separate contacts without disclosing it to the user in case they decide to install a leaked update and go back to stock not realizing they would loose contact information? Oh and ideally this would be a rom where CityID was dead. :-D

And yes, I am admitting partial blame for loosing some of my contact information, but not all of it... There were a few contacts that changed when they changed their privacy settings on facebook. It still shouldn't work like this. I lost faith in backup assistant when I used it on my blackberry tour... I had contacts mashed together with random people and had a hell of a time trying to sort and rebuild a list of 300+ people. When I was setting up my X I saw the backup assistant and quickly closed out of that screen because I had a flashback of my experience on my bb... I decided to never ever touch that button...

X Informant
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I gotta be honest, I got fed up with all those facebook contacts being dumped into my phone directory, so when VZW had me do a factory reset to address a problem I had, I ditched the moto applications for facebook & twitter and life has been good.

I also dumped my outlook contacts into google on day 1 and haven't had a sync problem since.

The so-called bloat doesn't really bother me, in most cases you can just ignore it, it's not really part of the UI, it's just on top of the UI.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads