Convert HDMI output to RCA?

This is a discussion on Convert HDMI output to RCA? within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I have done a few searches and not found anything on this yet. Perhaps this is more an AV question than just a DroidX inquiry, ...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Convert HDMI output to RCA?

Question Convert HDMI output to RCA?

I have done a few searches and not found anything on this yet. Perhaps this is more an AV question than just a DroidX inquiry, but since it is all geared at making the DX more useful I am hopeful some might be able to share some knowledge.

I have my droid feeding from my home's Slingbox currently (read: NFL Sunday Ticket). In my car's DVD system I have video game/aux inputs (which are lowly RCA jacks).

Using the great new HDMIOut app I discovered on this forum I can now output my Slingbox through the HDMI port, but have no way to get this signal into my vehicle (or those older hotel TVs while im on the road).

I will be the hit of the tailgate if I can find an adapter that lets my output HDMI to RCA (which I am guessing is some sort of digital to analog converter). I found several cable connections on Amazon, but all the reviews state they are garbage.... which makes sense; I didnt think you could convert digital to analog without some sort of powered "switch"

Thanks to anyone that can help!
    Last edited by brianhoops; 09-06-2010 at 05:01 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.4%
    Achievements:
    Your first Group500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    It isn't possible. HDMI is digital and RCA is analog. There would have to be some sort of converter box in between to convert the digital signal to analog.

I guess that's kind of my question, has anyone heard or found such an adapter?

Thanks for the quick reply!

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Its a really expensive converter box... along the lines of $600 or so

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 1.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    they are pretty expensive, but you can buy the box from Amazon for around $150.

I checked into this because I had my TouchPro 2 hooked to my 7" DVD/NAV screen in my truck with the video out (this was awesome for Sling Mobile) & I was hoping to do the same with the X.

I settled for just hooking the sound up to my KickA** stereo & skipping the video.

~John
    brianhoops likes this.

Thanks John. So, for $600.... no thanks, but for $150, it may be worth it. Did you find anything by specific name? Ive been all over Amazon searching for things such as "HDMI to RCA" and "HDMI to analog" and nothing is fitting the bill. Any more tips on what you found?

Thanks again!!

X Lurker
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    A converter box will run 100 - 200 there are a few to choose from just google hdmi to composite or hdmi to component (depending on what the TV has). Do not buy one of the cables that claim to do it as they don't work.
    brianhoops likes this.

Thanks to everyone. Ive found a few options now. I know its odd to be asking how to "down-convert" my flippin phone. Wow. Just think of the technology we're employing here: Directv HD NFL signal (or whatever the heck I want to watch) being received in my home in Illinois, being sent via my Slingbox hd to my DX over 3g (which works amazingly well). At that point, we will convert back to analog and input into the Yukon's DVD, Bose suround-sound enabled system and watch on 2, 7-inch LCD displays while tailgating. And that will work anywhere I can get a 3G signal....

I need more to do.
    inuyasha.rules likes this.

X Conveyor Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    122 times
    What is stupid is that it would have taken motorola only a few more components to give you RCA out on the DX. The OMAP chip supports it already with a seperate display manager etc. Only a few more components and could have the best of all worlds.

I hope if you are tailgating at a stadium you don't end up getting blacked out in the NFL app. In one of the forums a guy was complaining that he lives within a mile of a stadium in texas, and when ever there is a game playing in the stadium he can't watch the game on his phone as evidently they take the GPS coordinates from his phone and decide he's in the stadium or something like that.

Gman..... thanks for replying. Isn't it your app that will make my NFL experience possible? No blackouts when I'm using my Slingbox to view NFLTicket using your HDMI app. Thanks for your help!!!

Otherwise you are correct. I would suspect the NFL to make sure I was "inhibited" on game day.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads