Help - Using Droid X Overseas with Skype Mobile !

This is a discussion on Help - Using Droid X Overseas with Skype Mobile ! within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hey guys. I have the DX and service with Verizon Wireless. I plan to go away on vacation to Asia for around 2 months. I ...

Thread: Help - Using Droid X Overseas with Skype Mobile !

X Lurker Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Help - Using Droid X Overseas with Skype Mobile !

Hey guys. I have the DX and service with Verizon Wireless. I plan to go away on vacation to Asia for around 2 months. I have been thinking on what to do for mobile phone and internet service. You know, the luxury we have here in the States. I called Verizon to find out what my options are. I was very disappointed. The international calling rates are a whopping $2 to $3 per minute and unlimited data plans are up to $60 per month!! Though they are all high, there are scenarios where our DX can still be utilized. THE KEY LIES IN THE SKPE PHONE feature of DX ! Unfortunately, I am not all that familiar with Skpe on the DX.

Does anyone know or have experience in using Skpe while overseas on the DX?? What I would like to do is drop my plan down to the cheapest calling plan but jack up my data plan. So my main source of communication would be accessed through WIFI or the data signals, all internet based. Though it is on, I will not answer regular calls or make regular calls, fearing the cost.

I hope someone can shed some knowledge about Skpe via DX.

Thanks

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Lurker
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have same question. How can we use our EX in Asia?

X Lurker
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm not sure if a CDMA phone such as the Droid X will even work in Asia. I was under the impression that GSM reigned supreme in over there, but what do I know? Regardless, my suggestion is to download the "regular" Skype from the Android market and only use the Droid X wherever you can get WiFi. In this case the Droid X will essentially be the same thing as an iPod Touch. As you may or may not know, Skype Mobile, which comes preinstalled on the Droid X, will not work over WiFi which is why you need the other version also. This is how I have used my Droid X while traveling in Europe, Central and South America. If you have a program that can cache map files you can also use your GPS functionality without using the cellular network while you're there. If you go with this option, you can even have verizon temporarily suspend your service until you get back and save yourself the monthly bill while you're gone. HTH

Remove Ads

Ads