One of these DELETED All my Files on Internal and External drives

This is a discussion on One of these DELETED All my Files on Internal and External drives within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Some time today I believe one of the following programs deleted every file on my Droid that was on both the external SD card and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of these DELETED All my Files on Internal and External drives

X Lurker
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 2.7%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

One of these DELETED All my Files on Internal and External drives

Some time today I believe one of the following programs deleted every file on my Droid that was on both the external SD card and the internal 8GB storage. Oddly it left all the folders (empty) but all files were deleted. As a computer hacker/technician for well over 30 years I don't often make mistakes on my computers and I'm sure this was not some SUE (Stupid User Error). If it had been only one drive they were missing from I might have assumed some sort of drive file allocation table corruption but not when 2 drives suddenly have all files missing with folders still in place.

I did recover all the files quickly using one of my windoze data recovery programs with the Droid hooked up it just saw the drives as another two windoze hard drives and proceeded to recover all files on them. So I'm not looking for help on recovery but rather putting this info out there to see if anyone else has had a similar problem as well as to warn everyone of the possible culprits.

This Droid is NOT being used as a phone and is not activated. It has no phone access and Wifi was turned off. I had just rooted the phone . All was fine at that point. I installed superuser access. All still fine. I installed the programs below. I then did a Titanium backup. The backup by default put everything on the internal drive. Lots of room so still no problem.

I then backed up that backup to one of my windoze computers big terabyte drives. Then I used Total commander to move the Titanium backup to the external micro SD card. It was shortly after that I noticed all the empty folders. So first suspect is Total Commander even though I have high respect for Ghisler and seriously doubt he would put anything bad in this program. I've been using the windoze version of it for over a decade and it's a great program. Rather I would suspect a possible bug in it. Next most likely culprit is either Android Tuner 0.10.1 or System Tuner Pro v2.6.1. Unless I seriously messed up some setting in Titanium Backup I don't think it would have deleted everything after a backup (if that's even possible) unless it was corrupted. So I invite discussion, guesses on what happened, pure speculation or anything else you want to throw in about this

These are the programs installed today:
    Total Commander v2.02 final downloaded straight from www.ghisler.com
    droidwall 1.5.7
    luckypatcher 3.5.8
    Android Tuner 0.10.1
    System Tuner Pro v2.6.1
    Titanium_Backup 6.1.0.

I've got 6 Motorola Droids and while this one is a Bionic I'm putting this info out here on the X forum because I doubt it would have gone down any differently on the 3 Droid X's or X2 I have. I also had installed the special Moto Drivers ( MotorolaDeviceManager_2.4.3 ) that is roughly a 35 Megabyte file onto the windoze computer in order to use adb to root this phone. While I doubt that's a problem I'm trying to cover every change I made today.

I will probably disassemble every one of the programs I've got listed here to see if there is any Malware in them. I do run two anti-virus programs on the Droids and none of them found anything. I do question whether the current available Droid antivirus programs are very good at finding potential threats.

The program used in rooting this was razors_edge_windows.zip which has adb.exe, superuser.apk, busybox, a batch file and some other supporting files in it needed to root the Bionic. I know my files were still there after the root was done so I don't think that was a problem either unless something got superuser access after it was installed and went about some dirty work. However I don't think superuser access would have been needed to delete the files that were gone. The Droid still booted fine and only data and personal files seemed missing although some programs are missing data too. I currently have only backed up the recovered files to my windoze computer and have yet to look more at how much damage has been done to some installed programs on the Droid. So if it was actually someone's attempt to damage a Droid it was pretty lame IMO. All it took was about 15 minutes and a bowl of popcorn to recover everything
    Last edited by roidtrix49; 09-18-2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: edited per OP's request

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry there are no paragraphs above .... I pasted it here (with paragraphs and lots of spacing) but I can't even edit it to put in spacing. If it's not a new user limit than something is messed up here with editing. Interesting.... I can now edit and save after I rebooted my computer and logged back in. May need to look for a virus on my own computer but could just be a hiccup. I'll delete the rest of the junk here...
    Last edited by roidtrix49; 09-17-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Member #
    Liked
    286 times
    If you are posting from an android app, formatting is not always kept.
    If you have posted somewhere else, that formatting is correct, you can pm me the link and I can edit your post if needed.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Fixed.. editing with reboot.
    Last edited by roidtrix49; 09-17-2013 at 10:35 PM.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks sd_shadow - no I'm using a regular Windoze 7 computer with either Opera browser or Firefox (now on Firefox). I'm a pretty heavy VBulletin user on other forums so I'm lost on why I can't edit this. It won't save at all and I've tried changing it several times. Total Commander - home is where Total commander came from. Somehow the droidwall got tacked onto the end of that when I pasted everything into the message box - it had lots of spacing before the paste

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    deleted - irrelevant post
    Last edited by roidtrix49; 09-17-2013 at 10:36 PM.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    deleted by roidtrix49 - irrelevant post
    Last edited by roidtrix49; 09-17-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    Yeah, that was a beast to read. Usually it's accompanied by a lack of grammar skills and punctuation, so thanks for making it readable.

I've never encountered that problem. I haven't used TC for windows, but have for android on many occasions. Great program for sure, and I trust ghisler as a dev.

My only guess is a bad source for your DLs. I'm not familiar with the rooting method you used. Did you DL it from the dev or through a 3rd party?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    "FEZ aims to create a non-threatening world rich with ambiance,

a pleasant place to spend time in."

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Member #
    Liked
    286 times
    edited op, sure it's not quite how you originally intended

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
    edited op, sure it's not quite how you originally intended
    Better. I should have waited 5 min lolz.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    "FEZ aims to create a non-threatening world rich with ambiance,

a pleasant place to spend time in."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads