Uses for that spare X, now that you have a new 4G phone

This is a discussion on Uses for that spare X, now that you have a new 4G phone within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Originally Posted by DroidlynnXDoes How do you use a 64 gig card on the X? I read you can only use up to 32 gigs ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Uses for that spare X, now that you have a new 4G phone

X Lurker
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 1.3%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidlynnXDoes View Post
    How do you use a 64 gig card on the X? I read you can only use up to 32 gigs

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    Yeah I heard that too but it was because the phone specification is SDHC cards upto 32GB, SDXC is another story entirely. No one could give me a straight answer if SDXC cards were supported so I went and bought one, the phone formatted it to FAT32 and it works great.

You should have no illusion of getting the full rated speed on the cards (30 MB/s read) cause its just not going to happen on the DX, you won't get your rated speed on most SDHC cards either though so it should be little suprise. You can get 59GB of usable space on the card though, average read speed is about 7MB/s on the card I purchased but that may vary some on the brand. I wouldn't expect much difference as I expect its the phone specs and card format difference that bogs it down. I brought the SDSDQUA-064G and its plenty good to record/play videos the DX supports.
    Last edited by frozenthorn; 09-18-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: added link

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Banned
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    What's the difference between SDHC AND SDXC?

X Lurker
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 1.3%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidlynnXDoes View Post
    What's the difference between SDHC AND SDXC?

The SDXC specification supports a higher transfer rate and storage capacity, it's meant to use exFat and you'll probably need a phone that properly supports it to get maximum potential out of a card for it.
    What's good for us is there is nothing stopping us from formatting the SDXC card with the older FAT32 file system, which the DX can do natively when you plug it in and it tells you the card can not be read. So we get reduced performance by not using exFat but our phone is generations behind the phones it's intended for anyway, so its more than suitable as is. Also I belive FAT32 only supports single files upto 4GB where exFat supports much larger, but I don't see that as much of an obstacle unless you're trying to watch a REALLY big video
    Last edited by frozenthorn; 09-18-2012 at 10:59 PM.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Torque

I picked up a used DX on craigslist, rooted it, and now use it for a wifi device sometimes, but with my current phone and tablet it doesn't see much use at home. Bought it primarily to use as a display for the Torque app in my car, that way I can use my current phone for GPS and a phone if needed, but still have my display showing some vital car data.
    It worked fine w/ my 64gb sd card, but I keep the 64gb card in my tablet now and have a 32gb card in the droid. (media refreshes on both my phones w/ the larger card take a long time)

Banned
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    What does the torque app do?

X Lurker
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You have to buy a OBDII bluetooth adapter for your car, but then the Torque app shows any car data that your ECU allows, so for my car I have the DX in a cradle on the dash showing a bunch of gauges, I don't have any screenshots from the DX with me, but here is an older one from my GalaxyS2:
    Screenshot_2012-09-26-22-33-38.png

X Informant
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I bought my nephew's CM7 Incredible last year to be a spare phone for $80. I immediately killed off Asurion as I now had a spare. I then setup all the apps I usually use and put it in a drawer. Then one day I thought I should use it for listening to Podcasts (Beyond Pod) to preserve battery on my Droid X when I'm in the house. Then I added Skype and starting using it for calling out. I added Remote Media Center to watch videos, DrudgeReport, Audible and TuneIn Radio. I use it all the time and its completely ready to take over mobile phone duty should something happen to the DX.

X Informant
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 2.6%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDude View Post
    As more of us get new (4G) phones, I figure we could stick a thread with suggestions for alternate uses for the X as a wifi only device.
    First thing, put your X in airplane mode then go into settings and turn on wifi. This will save battery.
    Obviously, we can browse the web and download apps this way. You also have a music/movie player, but there are other uses, use your imagination, see what you can come up with.

1. Alternate (secondary) communication device - With Talkatone (free) and a Google Voice number, you can send/receive texts and make phone calls using wifi.

2. Security cam (or baby monitor) - With IPwebcam (free) you can turn your X into a security cam. You can view it remotely in a web browser, or on your primary smartphone with IP cam viewer lite or tiny cam monitor (both free)

3. Stream video/movies/netflix to your TV via the HDMI port using xternal display v,1.2.1 (older v.1.1.1)
    BEST POST EVEr!!! This has always been a question that I've had in my mind for quite some time now, ever since I started having still good use smartphones after switching to a newer one..

also the original poster did a d@m fine job, NOT only did he list his ideas but he did it with helpful links and EVEN quick descriptions, BEST THREAD EVER!!

awesomeness!!

KEEP THEM COMING!!!

oNe

X Lurker
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I would like to give my DX to my wife when I upgrade. She wants to use it as a phone/text message device only. The local Verizon dealer says the phone will not work without a data plan. Is that true?

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    well, it probably could work, but big red doesn't make money that way so they require a data plan for smartphones. Unfortunately the dealer was correct.
    Check out my themes:

Simple Sideways - MIUI lockscreen - Simple Sideways Dark - Touch of Green - Vortex RC1 - Christmas theme (in case you miss it) - Vortex RC1

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads