Can Droid X running 4.5.621 be flashed to a custom ROM?

This is a discussion on Can Droid X running 4.5.621 be flashed to a custom ROM? within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I have been reading that the new OTA update 4.5.621 which like an idiot, I downloaded and isntalled can't be rooted or flash to older ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can Droid X running 4.5.621 be flashed to a custom ROM?

Can Droid X running 4.5.621 be flashed to a custom ROM?

I have been reading that the new OTA update 4.5.621 which like an idiot, I downloaded and isntalled can't be rooted or flash to older roms or custom ROMs. I'd really like to go back to liberty rom, I think it's very stable and much faster than the motoblur ****.

Is this true?

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Well first thing is Liberty is built on blur so there's that... its just various parts are customizable/removable.

And it can be rooted and ROM'd. If you want Liberty you have to use a modded version. Refer here:

Important Info for .621 Update!

That is all very confusing to me. I just got this Droid X to replace the other one that got broke, I use a Razr but this is now my girlfriends phone. After buying it today I did install the OTA Update then tried to go to the latest version of Liberty. It bricked but by the grace of god I got it back to the stock SBF. I just want to root the phone again, install clock work recovery and then install the custom rom from the zip on the sdcard. It doesn't seem like it's that easy any more since this dang update.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kielu84 View Post
    That is all very confusing to me. I just got this Droid X to replace the other one that got broke, I use a Razr but this is now my girlfriends phone. After buying it today I did install the OTA Update then tried to go to the latest version of Liberty. It bricked but by the grace of god I got it back to the stock SBF. I just want to root the phone again, install clock work recovery and then install the custom rom from the zip on the sdcard. It doesn't seem like it's that easy any more since this dang update.
    It isn't *that* easy. But you can still easily get it to rooted .621 and flash any GB ROM you want. It just requires a couple extra steps, but its nothing that is game-breaking. This is the only method to root on this update, and you *cannot* revert, so if you want to do it, I'll break it down below.

If you SBF'd it then you are already familiar with the root process and its not that difficult at all. There is just a few more steps. It probably bricked because Liberty is a blur-based ROM. All blur-based ROMs have to use special patched versions on .621.

Here's what you do - relevant links, etc. are in the post linked here:
    Important Info for .621 Update! This is post two, not the OP as linked above.

First burn the .604 ezSBF on a disc/USB drive. Relevant link above. Reboot your PC and boot off CD/USB. This is SBF'ing, just done in Linux. It has to be done via Linux as RSD Lite overwrites the radio, which is bad news for the hack we have to do. But its just a normal SBF regardless, just performed a special way.

Put your phone in Bootloader when the screen tells you to. Choose option for SBF only. Let it do its thing.

Once its done, you will probably need to factory reset. Again, follow instructions on-screen.

Hook it back up. Choose the option to root. Make sure you follow instructions on-screen, let it do its thing.

Congrats, you are now rooted. Your phone thinks its a Milestone X, but it still works on Verizon and that means very little. Now let's fix that.

Go back to that link above, chose the link in that post that says Blur-Based ROMs for the .604/.621 Hack.

You need to download 3 things, all in the OP:

First, download the .621 Kernel, Recoveries, CDT, Device Tree. Its a flashable .zip, put it on your SDCard. This is so we can get the baseline firmware back to a Droid X. Once flashed it needs to be done only once per SBF. However, don't go into recovery yet, we have other stuff we'll need if you want to go to Liberty.

Next, download the .621 WIFI Lib Fix. This is because WIFI on the latest firmware needs different lib files than .605, and since Liberty is based on .605, if you try running it without the patch then WIFI won't work as it should. Its a flashable .zip, put it on your SDCard.

Finally, download the ROM of your choice. If you want Liberty 3 v2 (which is the last Liberty that was released). I made a patched version there. Download that. Put it on your SDCard.

Reboot to Recovery (Use Droid 2 Bootstrapper, same as always)

Do the usual wipes (Wipe Data/Factory Reset, Wipe Cache/Dalvik)

Flash Liberty .zip
    Flash WIFI lib fix.zip
    Flash kernel.zip

Done. No wipes needed between any of those flashes, just before you flash.

And... you're good. Enjoy!

Some notes if you plan to flash anything else -

If you want a blur-based ROM like Liberty, Vortex, etc. it has to use the special version from that thread, and you will need to flash the WIFI patch each time you flash a new ROM. Like I said, kernel patch is only once per SBF.

2nd-init ROMs work as expected (CM7/MIUI/SSX/OMFGB/Any ICS ROM) - i.e. the same as they did back on .602/.605. Always still recommend the kernel patch post-SBF so your firmware is the latest optimized for the Droid X, but no other patches/fixes are needed for these ROMs.

Finally - I still recommend you read the OP on what I linked you first. Knowledge is power, and it might help you understand why this hack is needed.

Also - buy 1KDS a beer (if he'll take it). For real; I tri-boot a Win 7/Ubuntu/Hackintosh currently so I would usually just do the manual Linux SBF, but that ezSBF disc is slick, and has saved likely hundreds of people from trying to mess with an OS and typing in terminal commands they might not feel comfortable with.
    Last edited by Goose306; 05-16-2012 at 06:50 AM.

X Informant
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow, after hours, days of research this thread totally put me in the scene. Thanks ru r the men!

Enviado desde mi DROIDX usando Tapatalk

Iv spent the past week trying to get ics on my dx and countless hours of research about flashing roms. After bricking my phone -.- and having plenty of recovery problems.. THIS FINALLY WORKED! Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread

Ads