Important Info for .621 Update!

This is a discussion on Important Info for .621 Update! within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Important Info Regarding .621 System Update! This post is designed to hopefully clarify any confusion on the .621 system update. Currently there’s a bunch of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Important Info for .621 Update!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 51.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times

Post Important Info for .621 Update!

Important Info Regarding .621 System Update!

This post is designed to hopefully clarify any confusion on the .621 system update. Currently there’s a bunch of threads floating out around the forums with questions or issues with .621, so I thought it’d be best to compile a “here’s the info” thread, as I had done @Rootz, for a general reference.

What is it?

The .621 update is the latest update from VZW for our beloved Droid X’s. It is also believed to likely be the last update that will ever happen to our phones, as the Droid X has been End of Life (EOL) by Verizon standards for months now.

What’s all this hubbub about .621?

.621 does a few things which can be seen as negatory. The first, and biggest, is the fact that .621 is at this point unrevertable to any earlier Droid X system versions. While you can flash earlier Milestone X firmware (we’ll get to that in a minute) – it should be known if you take .621, you won’t be going back to .602/.605 Gingerbread or .340 Froyo. At least at this point… there has been some work attempted on reversion, but as of now, once there, you’re stuck.

The second thing is its known to brick phones, even non-rooted, when attempting the OTA update. If you get the update notification for .621, be near a computer, because there is a chance your phone may brick. If it does brick, you *should* be able to restore back to .602/.605 using SBF (see links and downloads, 2nd post), or if for some reason you really want to be on .621, you can flash the .621 SBF file via RSD Lite. (See links and downloads)

So, why go to .621?

Two things. New kernel, and new radio. The new radio is baseband .15p, whereas the prior GB radio is .13p. It has been widely confirmed that the new radio, .15p, does get better reception with less 3G drops. However, you do not need to go to .621 to get the new radio. It is available separately. (See links and downloads)

The new kernel seems to handle multi-tasking a bit better and gets slightly better battery life by reports so far. As of now, if you want this kernel you WILL have to go .621. Some work has been attempted to make this a separate file, and it is available, but it will break reversion (that is, if you flash it, you will be stuck on .621, same as someone who takes OTA).

OMGZ! How do I stop it?

You basically need to either freeze the updater using Titanium Backup or you can rename the extension using Root Explorer (it does the same thing). This will require root access. There is a video I had made (for my mother ) explaining how to change the extension using Root Explorer. Watch below if you’re a visual learner.

If it has already downloaded the update but it has not installed yet (prompting you for installation) then freeze/rename the updater as described above, and then reboot into Clockwork Recovery and/or Stock Recovery and clear the cache. This will delete the version that’s sitting on your phone trying to install itself.

I took .621 and I want to root!

EDIT: The Linux ISO method is now effectively outdated that requires a Milestone X sbf_flash. I have left the info below for reference/historical sake, but if you want to root .621 currently you should be using the method listed here:

[How To] Root 4.5.621 with magic md5 (does not require Milestone SBF)

Congratulations, you are lucky as a root method has been confirmed working. This is where it will involve flashing Milestone X firmware (a Milestone X is a generic, non-Verizon Droid X, the have the same hardware). To keep it simple, we are able to flash this firmware because it has the newer CDT/Device Tree that stops us from reverting to earlier versions, but the software is rootable/exploitable. It is also incidentally a newer version of Android. Anyways; essentially what you want to do is flash the .604 SBF via either Linux or a 1KDS ezSBF Live Disc. I will include a link to the manual method via Linux if you want the fairly more difficult path, otherwise just use the 1KDS ezSBF. Both are linked in post two.

The most important point here is this MUST be done via Linux, either manually or the 1KDS ezSBF (which is a custom Linux distro you boot via CD/USB). If you attempt this via RSD Lite, you will flash your radio to a non-Verizon system and lose data and just generally break a bunch of stuff. So DON’T DO IT!

Once you have flashed to the .604 system version you need to root. If you are using the 1KDS ezSBF disc it has a root option that it will provide after you SBF. If you do it manually, the root method that is used is Zergrush v4 (links in 2nd post)

I rooted .621 and want to flash something!

Awesome. You can effectively flash ANY Gingerbread-based ROM, however there is some pre-requisites. First, it is recommended you flash the kernel update. When you SBF’d to the .604 Milestone X version you lost your .621 kernel, and are now on the .604 kernel. There is a link to a flashable in the 2nd post. This flash only needs to be done once per SBF (so you can flash other ROMs between SBFs and not need to reflash the kernel) but whenever you SBF you will need to reflash this custom patch.

Now that is done, if you are planning on flashing a 2nd-init ROM, then just follow the instructions per the OP of the thread where you found it. 2nd-init is a custom hijack process, I won’t get too much into the details here, but essentially 2nd-init is either going to be based on Cyanogenmod (CM) MIUI, SSX, OMFGB or any of the ICS ROMs. Because 2nd-init rebuilds everything except for kernel/ramdisk/radio there is no known issues with running any 2nd-init Gingerbread ROMs on .621.

If you want a blur-based ROM, you will need to use the patched version. Original versions (the ones built for those on .602/.605) include the .605 kernel, and when it’s attempted to be flashed it causes your phone to brick and you will have to SBF. I have patched the most popular blur-based ROMs to be compatible with the .621/.604 Milestone X hack. You can find these in the links section of the 2nd post. (Blur-based ROMs include Vortex, Apex, any stock version, Liberty, to name a few. If you do not see a ROM you want and you know its Blur-based, PM me. I will do my best to patch and upload per requests). Note also if you flash these ROMs you also need to flash a WIFI lib fix, this is because the original ROMs include WIFI library files which are not compatible with the .621 kernel/system. The patch will make WIFI DHCP work.

I want a stock, rooted, .621 experience!

Why? LOL. Just kidding. You can do it. If you’ve followed along so far, then you’re basically 90% of the way there. If you are on .605 rooted and are getting prompted to install the update and want to, you can install a program from the market called Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, which will allow you to take the update and regain root once on .621. This is a one-shot type of deal, as once you need to SBF or whatever, you will need to follow instructions below. Also, anyone else, follow instructions below.

Make sure you have done the .604 SBF, and are rooted If not, go back and re-read those appropriate sections. Now you can just flash one of ky41083's .621 pre-rooted ROMs. These are AIOs, so they include all portions of .621, including the kernel, recoveries, and others that are in the seperate kernel flashable. This is also a way to get to stock .621 rooted with a .15p baseband if the entire AIO is flashed from Froyo. Links in second post.

Any other questions?
    Feel free to post below.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    .602/.605 ezSBF

(1KDS Live Disc – follow link and choose either .602 or .605)

.621 SBF

(This is an RSD Lite image, and must be flashed in RSD Lite. This is to get the new .15p radio, as if it’s done via ezSBF you do not get the new radio. Unrevertable if flashed. If needed/wanted follow link then choose the .621 .7zip)

.15p Radio

(This is a separate flashable radio, so you can get the new baseband while remaining on .602/.605. You must be on Froyo for this to flash correctly. Please refer to instructions in OP of link)

.604 Milestone X ezSBF

(1KDS Live Disc – follow link and choose the .604 Milestone X image)

.604 Milestone X manual Linux SBF

(Link is out-link to Rootz which has a full manual guide written up if you have a native Linux environment. Instructions about mid-way down OP)

Zergrush v4

(This is not needed if you are using the .604 ezSBF as its built-in. Download and use if you did a manual Linux SBF)

.621 Kernel, Recoveries, CDT, Dev-Tree, etc.

(This is a custom flash built to return you from the .604 Milestone X kernel and system to the correct .621 kernel and system. DO NOT TOUCH THIS UNLESS YOU ARE ON THE .604/.621 HACK! – IF YOU FLASH THIS WHILE YOU .602/.605 YOU WILL BE UNREVERTABLE BACK. If you need it follow link, download is found in OP)

Blur-Based ROMs for the .604/.621 Hack

(This is a general listing for ROMs I’ve patched for those on .604/.621. Use only if on one of the listed system versions. Make sure you flash kernel (if you haven’t already) and WIFI lib fix – in OP of link)

ky41083's Stock .621 Rooted ROMs

(Flash this if you want to get to a stock/rooted .621 system. Follow instructions per post in link)
    Last edited by Goose306; 06-03-2012 at 07:35 AM.
    live4godsarmy and DirtyDroid like this.

Technician X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Excellent job Goose.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 6.3%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    And those of you that read this and think the .604/.621 root method sounds complicated, it's really not. Using the LiveCD method it takes about twenty minutes of your time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Lurker
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 17.7%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, me again. Well, in light of the new thread, I gave the flash another go. Starting with the sbf to 621, Milestone via linux, flash the kernal, all fine. Followed the stock 621 system flash, even had it downloaded to the folder directly, terminal commands, to. Bubkis. MD5 mismatch. I am really open to ANY ideas or suggestions. The only thing I can think of is WinZip seems to lay claim to the file during the 'save to', so I'll try using the phone to grab the file and see how it likes that.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    The original instructions state you have to re-do the MD5. If in Linux you can do it via command-line, or you can copy-paste code for the MD5 a multitude of ways in Windows or on your phone. It would seem your terminal commands are not creating the md5. Is there a .md5 file created after the terminal command?

Its because the original MD5 was from the (full) nandroid. This is obviously not the full, just the /system only version so we didn't get all of shatter's sensitive data. So, because its a different file the MD5 needs to be updated, that's all.

I created a fresh md5 on my comp and I'm .7zippin it then I'll throw it on mediafire. Should make that process a bit easier.
    Last edited by Goose306; 04-30-2012 at 12:07 AM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    621nandroid.7z

MD5: EC3CCE1FD2595812C8B436236C6C6488

621 nandroid with md5 file included. .7zip, download, unzip. Put entire folder (621backup) on your SDcard under clockworkmod/backup. Then restore in CWM. *Should work. Haven't tested it yet. If it works I'll add it to the OP.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Cool! Yeah, I was using terminal emulator right on my X. Couldn't download the system directly for whatever reason. Laptop kept putting the WinZip brand on it, probably causing an issue. Just saw I have an unblemished system.tar on my Razr, so I'll bypass the snooty laptop when I get home. If that fails, I'll give your spin a try. Crazy sh!t. Super sweet and clean thread, though! VERY clear to follow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid X Forums

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My other attempt failed, so I used the zip posted above, SUCCESS!!!! I LOVE the boot animation! Before instal, I wiped user data, dalvik cache, and formatted the system. Once started, I bypassed setup to get to the menu and do a factory reset to be sure. I say add the zip to the stickie, and call it a root solution. A bit involved, but not all that difficult, even for a noob. Nice way to flip Moto and Verizon!

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 12.8%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Good on ya' for this Goose!
    Check out my themes:

Simple Sideways - MIUI lockscreen - Simple Sideways Dark - Touch of Green - Vortex RC1 - Christmas theme (in case you miss it) - Vortex RC1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads