Important Info for .621 Update!

This is a discussion on Important Info for .621 Update! within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I say that this thread is going to get really really popular, very quickly now! Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid X Forums...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Important Info for .621 Update!

X Lurker
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 5.5%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I say that this thread is going to get really really popular, very quickly now!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid X Forums

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Einsteindks View Post
    I say that this thread is going to get really really popular, very quickly now!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid X Forums
    Haha these solutions have been around for awhile now... I just like making it easy for people. Thanks, glad it worked.

Sent from my shadow AOKP

Agent X
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 3.4%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I don't have (to date) the upgrade blues, but I was just thinking about how much 1kds, you, and whoever else is involved with this that I'm unaware of have really saved us X owners butts. I appreciate everything you're doing goose. Job well done.
    Charley likes this.

X Informant
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hello, I need more guidance

Ive been on a droid x with a cm7 rom on the milestone x 604 kernel because i came from .621 ota update.

So if i want .621 kernel back since it is better, will it erase cm7 or break cm7 etc? i would think it wouldnt just like installing a new kernel on linux doesnt lol.

Can you help me with a step by step process?

1. download 604-to-621-images-update.zip to sd card.
    2. boot into cwm recovery
    3. help? Flash zip then wipe what? or wipe what then flash?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by holycow131415 View Post
    Hello, I need more guidance

Ive been on a droid x with a cm7 rom on the milestone x 604 kernel because i came from .621 ota update.

So if i want .621 kernel back since it is better, will it erase cm7 or break cm7 etc? i would think it wouldnt just like installing a new kernel on linux doesnt lol.

Can you help me with a step by step process?

1. download 604-to-621-images-update.zip to sd card.
    2. boot into cwm recovery
    3. help? Flash zip then wipe what? or wipe what then flash?
    Just flash. No wipes should be needed. I never have and haven't had any issues

Sent from my shadow AOKP

X Informant
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    did what you said and it worked. was fast too

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by holycow131415 View Post
    did what you said and it worked. was fast too
    Glad to hear. Keep in mind kernel flash is only needed once per SBF.

Sent from my shadow AOKP

X Lurker
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

sweet, but 2 questions

first of all... a read a comment below and he's right. The 1kds linux boot cd trick could've been done by a well-directed chimp (exactly the kind of process some of us noobs need) and completed in about 20-30 mins. awesome job on this

but question #1... once rooted on droid x original utilizing milestone x rom, is it possible to sbf to any of the other custom roms like MIUI or CM7 using clockwork mod recovery?

question#2.. (more important question)

after i had Bobo the chimp complete the changeover from .621 to rooted milestone x successfully using the linux cd i tried to go back to stock unrooted 4.5.621 to do it again just for practice's sake using rsd lite and i was unable to get to .621. i kept getting weird message errors.

how does one sbf or convert BACK to stock, unrooted 4.5.621 AFTER going to milestone x on original droid x?

any help or instructions (even if unfriendly to chimps) would be much appreciated

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ClapB00M View Post
    first of all... a read a comment below and he's right. The 1kds linux boot cd trick could've been done by a well-directed chimp (exactly the kind of process some of us noobs need) and completed in about 20-30 mins. awesome job on this

but question #1... once rooted on droid x original utilizing milestone x rom, is it possible to sbf to any of the other custom roms like MIUI or CM7 using clockwork mod recovery?

question#2.. (more important question)

after i had Bobo the chimp complete the changeover from .621 to rooted milestone x successfully using the linux cd i tried to go back to stock unrooted 4.5.621 to do it again just for practice's sake using rsd lite and i was unable to get to .621. i kept getting weird message errors.

how does one sbf or convert BACK to stock, unrooted 4.5.621 AFTER going to milestone x on original droid x?

any help or instructions (even if unfriendly to chimps) would be much appreciated
    For Q2: If you want to go back to stock, unrooted .621 you have to use the .621 SBF linked in post two. If you get errors it probably has to do with RSD Lite, as its a finicky sucker on most people's computers. I would check the MD5 on the .zip file and make sure it matches (if you don't know what that is just google MD5 checker). If that checks out OK then its probably an RSD issue. There's posts everywhere with various suggestions, have you used RSD before on your computer? If not, make sure you have the latest, correct Moto drivers (if you've used any other Moto phone on your PC lately it might install the incorrect drivers and you need to go back to the ones for the X) make sure its a USB port that's connected directly to the motherboard (not a hub) and make sure you are using the OEM cable. Make sure RSD Lite is ran either with UAC off if on Windows 7 and/or as Administrator. I can however confirm that the .621 SBF does work, I actually used it this morning when I was testing out a pre-rooted SBF file that's in development at Rootzwiki.

Alternatively if you still have RSD Lite issues the .621 SBF file can be flashed in Linux using the sbf_flash command, this is basically the same thing the isos do, but you would have to do it manually, which means you will need either an actual copy of Linux in some form or another (either installed on PC or flashdrive/CD along with appropriate SBF and sbf_flash - and then you would need to input the terminal commands manually). If you want to try this route I can provide direction, but its not exactly chimp friendly

For Q1: Yeah you sure can. Now as far as terminology its not SBFing you are just flashing a new ROM (using CWM). Its what I do. If you check the OP it tells you a bit of info about it, but its pretty much the same as any other GB-based ROM, with a few qualifications:

First you want to get the .621 Kernel, Recoveries, etc. check post two (the links post) to download it. Its a flashable .zip you do in CWM. Its not going to put you on a new ROM, what its doing is getting rid of the base-level Milestone firmware and putting you back on the .621 firmware, designed for the X. Now, if you go right back into the Milestone X ROM after flashing this, its still going to say its a Milestone X, but that's because we didn't change the ROM, just the base level firmware (hope that makes sense, just explaining what it is and why its needed/wanted). This only needs to be flashed once per SBF. When flashing between different ROMs its not needed as ROMs do not generally contain kernels/etc. (with one important exception, noted next)

Second, as far as ROM flashes basically any GB ROM will work. If its 2nd-init (this is MIUI, CM7, any ICS ROM) no special steps are needed. Just follow the same install instructions everyone else does. Now, if its a blur-based ROM, you need to download two things, and they are linked in post two. First, you need to download the special patched version of the ROM. If you do not see the ROM you want PM me with a download link and I'll patch it. This is because the NORMAL version actually INCLUDE a kernel (the .605 kernel - this is the exception) since we can't revert when on .621, if you try to flash the .605 version, the signature check fails and you won't boot (you'll be stuck with a bootloader error) and you'll have to SBF. My patched versions removed the kernel. You will need that, and also on the same download page you will see a WIFI Lib fix. This is because the .621 kernel can't speak to the WIFI libs that were used on .602/.605 (what the blur-based ROMs are based on) so DHCP doesn't work. The WIFI Lib fix just is a flashable .zip that integrates the .621 WIFI libs so it works as expected.

So, hope that wasn't too complicated. Basically, you just need to flash the kernel flashable .zip in CWM once per SBF. Then, if you want 2nd-init ROM:

Download .zip for ROM
    Download gapp.zip for ROM (the rom.zip and the gapp.zip will be in the OP of the thread for the ROM, as applicable)
    Move to SDCard
    Flash in CWM (do the usual ROM wipes... I'm assuming you are familiar with ROM installation)
    Reboot
    ????
    Profit!

For Blur-Based:
    Download patched ROM .zip
    Download WIFI Lib fix .zip
    Move to SDCard
    Flash in CWM (with the usual ROM wipes - flash the ROM.zip first then the WIFI fix, no wipes needed between the two)
    Reboot
    ????
    Profit!

X Lurker
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

thx so much goose

sweet. goose in case nobody has told you, you are a gentleman and a scholar

I'll troubleshoot some of that regarding sdLite and my Mac (historically used BOOT CAMP running windows 7 with correct drivers) however, i did in fact, use another moto on my computer recently which could be causing the issue, not to mention syncing a samsung galaxy note (which was promptly returned)

My linux skills up to this point are remedial at best and were again stunted recently by a mac OSX Lion update resulting in my VMWareFusion having seizures everytime I used ubuntu/Linux. so ill have to hunt down that issue before attempting much in the way of Linux

BUT my brother-in-law is a sorcerer with command line programming and linux and such so if necessary and he and I can't figure it out ill get back to you about those directions. this'll give me plenty to do between now and then. so thx Good lookin out!

Clapb00m

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads