Any Way to Implement a Recent Apps List Similar to ICS?

This is a discussion on Any Way to Implement a Recent Apps List Similar to ICS? within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I'm running on Wizard's MIUI right now, and it's given me pretty much everything I ever wanted from my phone interface that I didn't have, ...

Thread: Any Way to Implement a Recent Apps List Similar to ICS?

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Any Way to Implement a Recent Apps List Similar to ICS?

I'm running on Wizard's MIUI right now, and it's given me pretty much everything I ever wanted from my phone interface that I didn't have, except for one thing: on my Eee Pad Transformer tablet that came with Honeycomb (and I recently upgraded to ICS), I have a virtual button in the dock where I can bring up my recent apps list from anywhere. I don't know if this is unique to Asus tablets, all tablets, or if it's an available feature in all Honeycomb/ICS devices. This button is by the "Home" button and the "Back" button in the bottom left hand of the dock, and is present in every screen. For example, if I'm browsing the web in Opera, and I hit this button, it immediately brings up a vertical column with all the apps I've opened as square icons in that column. So if I had opened Aldiko and Google Play before I opened my web browser, then I'd see these two apps as square icons in that column. I hit the square icon I want, and it takes me directly to that app- in fact, it takes me to the latest page/book/whatever I was exploring on that app, so I don't have to restart at its home page and navigate to where I was. This provides a convenience unmatched on Gingerbread where often the simplest comparable course of action is to return to the home screens, then find the main app icon for whichever app I want to switch to and launch it. This involves browsing to my home page where I keep the apps in folders (or on unrooted Droid X's it involves going to the apps menu to launch the app).

I find the lack of this omni-accessible menu the most annoying when I'm browsing apps like Pulse or Google Currents since almost any story I expand outsources me to my browser. Once I'm done viewing the content, hitting the "Back" key doesn't take me back from the browser to where I was last in Pulse or Currents. I have to hit the "Home" key, then re-launch the app or widget, and start all over.
    Last edited by Madmick; 03-24-2012 at 02:26 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    This is a ICS feature and only comes in select roms. I do not believe it is possible with miui however if you very kindly ask the Dev it maybe get put in at some point.

FreeMyMoto!!!
    FreeMyMoto!!!
    If you need help PM me!!!
    Hey, Read these.--------------> "GUIDELINES OFCONDUCT"

X Lurker
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't know about MIUI but on stock Gingerbread if you hold the home key down for a few seconds it brings up your most recent apps.

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowmanham View Post
    I don't know about MIUI but on stock Gingerbread if you hold the home key down for a few seconds it brings up your most recent apps.
    Nevermind, this same feature is part of MIUI. I was confused because holding down this button brings down a two-page menu (like the amazing Toggle menu in MIUI). The left page is the App Killer, and the right page is the App Manager. It shows Recent Apps in the left page. I thought hitting any of these apps would individually kill them, but it doesn't. It takes you to the latest page of viewing on that app. Hitting the actual "App Killer" kills all the running apps and recovers the RAM they were consuming.

Remove Ads

Ads