Microwave oven interferes with WiFi

This is a discussion on Microwave oven interferes with WiFi within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Anyone else notice this? Every time my microwave oven is on, I lose wifi. Once the oven stops, it reconnects....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Microwave oven interferes with WiFi

X Operative
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Microwave oven interferes with WiFi

Anyone else notice this? Every time my microwave oven is on, I lose wifi. Once the oven stops, it reconnects.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Haha, that's kinda funny. Sorry lol, had to have a good laugh. Never had this happen.

Anyways, how close is your wireless access point to the microwave? And are you able to get inside the wireless access point to change which channel the wireless frequency operates? How old is the microwave?

Also, start the microwave, and walk away and see how far away you can get with out having a signal, certain distance?

DroidXForums Guidelines of Conduct
    Show Your Support and Become a Supporting Member Today!

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

X Operative
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    My kitchen is between my living room and my den (which is where the router is). If I'm in the living room, I lose wifi, but if I'm in my den or between my den and my microwave, it doesn't interfere. I'll see if changing the frequency will fix it. Thanks for the suggestion.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by corki2 View Post
    My kitchen is between my living room and my den (which is where the router is). If I'm in the living room, I lose wifi, but if I'm in my den or between my den and my microwave, it doesn't interfere. I'll see if changing the frequency will fix it. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Are you able to test this with a laptop or another device that uses the wireless access point? Try and find ways to rule out the phone versus the wireless access point.

I find this very strange, I know other devices interfere with one another, but to completely cut it out and over power it, I have not hear of. Do you have a really strong microwave?

X Operative
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macpro88 View Post
    Are you able to test this with a laptop or another device that uses the wireless access point? Try and find ways to rule out the phone versus the wireless access point.

I find this very strange, I know other devices interfere with one another, but to completely cut it out and over power it, I have not hear of. Do you have a really strong microwave?
    It doesn't affect my laptop. Yes I have a high powered microwave and it's only a few months old.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by corki2 View Post
    It doesn't affect my laptop. Yes I have a high powered microwave and it's only a few months old.

Hmm, that's really strange. And don't think that the microwave would be strong enough to cut out the DX's WiFi... really strange. How old is the DX? Maybe call VZW and see if they will send a refurb?

X Operative
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macpro88 View Post
    Hmm, that's really strange. And don't think that the microwave would be strong enough to cut out the DX's WiFi... really strange. How old is the DX? Maybe call VZW and see if they will send a refurb?
    I bought it off Ebay. I will tinker with the router and see if it helps. Meanwhile, if anyone else has problems with wifi drops they might see if the microwave is on.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i have not had this problem, but i had a device to send audio and video wireless for my tv. it operated on 2.4 GHz every time we turned on the microwave the tv went out. looking into it microwaves will interfere with 2.4GHz so i bought one that works on 5.8GHz no more problems. I know they sell routers that work on two different frequencys but dont think the droid will operate on any other frequency than 2.4. if anyone has a dual band router let me know if the droid will connect on i think it is 5.0GHz band

X Operative
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maddox View Post
    i have not had this problem, but i had a device to send audio and video wireless for my tv. it operated on 2.4 GHz every time we turned on the microwave the tv went out. looking into it microwaves will interfere with 2.4GHz so i bought one that works on 5.8GHz no more problems. I know they sell routers that work on two different frequencys but dont think the droid will operate on any other frequency than 2.4. if anyone has a dual band router let me know if the droid will connect on i think it is 5.0GHz band
    My microwave is on 2,450MHZ (2.45GHZ). Probably close enough to interfere.

X Operative
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This goes the same for some cordless phones (housephones). If you have an older router that is a 2.4Ghz and the cordless phone that runs on 2.4Ghz freq. can interfere too. The newer ones say 5.8 or 6.0, but those are really just the same. Wireless N runs on on 5.8 or 6.0 I believe, but I never had any interruptions from the cordless phone thats was also 6.0/5.8. Also, some older houses have copper pipes and those have been known to interfere with a wifi signal also. So, in case you were trying to find something else that could be messing up your wifi, you could look into these things as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads