comments on rooting, from an "outsider"

This is a discussion on comments on rooting, from an "outsider" within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Originally Posted by phantomworks I understand how the OP feels. I know the lingo for the DX well enough, but when I went over to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: comments on rooting, from an "outsider"

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomworks View Post
    I understand how the OP feels. I know the lingo for the DX well enough, but when I went over to the Droid Charge website to help my aunt root her phone, I was pretty lost for the first hour because their systems are different.

When you first start reading about rooting, sbf'ing, etc, it can be overwhelming, but when you get right down to it, it's just putting a file on your phone, pressing a few buttons, and you're done. Obviously there is often troubleshooting, but it's not that hard.

If someone were to make a video of how to root your phone, you would realize that there's not really that much that is actually involved. In fact, there are often times 'one click root' programs, where you just install a file and press the root button and you're done. (not sure if it exists for the newest gingerbread version)
    Did you get her Charge rooted? I like working with Odin - I finally upgraded mine yesterday to the most recent GummyCharged ROM (which had the EP1Q leak in it)...

Failure isn't falling down, failure is staying down.

Guidelines of Conduct for DroidXForums.com

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Overall activity: 33.7%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    454 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    Did you get her Charge rooted? I like working with Odin - I finally upgraded mine yesterday to the most recent GummyCharged ROM (which had the EP1Q leak in it)...
    Odin?? EP1Q???? GummyCharge??
    Now I'm lost

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDude View Post
    Odin?? EP1Q???? GummyCharge??
    Now I'm lost
    Google it...

Just kidding. This does bring up a good point though. When I made the switch from a d1 to a dx I felt a little lost too. The terminology between even the 2 is quite different. I never had to know what system version I was on, or bootloader I was on, i had no idea how to sbf, and come on what does this locked mean?

Edit: I didn't mean bring up the point. I meant to cobtinue. even from Moto to Moto there is a difference. Moto to Sammy even more so.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    "Don't Panic!"
    -Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy-

"Dude you have to check this out, I rooted my phone."
    "You rooted it? No thanks man. I'm not much of a gardener..."

-Me-

Technician X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billhansen2010 View Post
    Do you sense from frustration there?
    Bill Hansen
    Do a judo move. Shed the frustration and channel it into reading energy. I was just on another site. A person asked a question about rooting a DX. The only reply was "read the threads already here." That same thread on DXF would have had 10 responses within 10 minutes with people coming back the next day asking if you ever got it to work.

If you think things are ill-explained here, try going to another forum and figuring it out. You'll come back here appreciating what's written. Don't be frustrated. Be motivated.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Overall activity: 33.7%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    454 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JSM9872 View Post
    Google it...

Actually, that's what I do, and other forms of search. In all my time on this forum, I've only ever asked one question, cause I could not get the answer anywhere (and it was a big one).
    Anything else, I was able to find the answer. I'm not suggesting that's for everyone (it's my real job to do that), we are here to answer questions, not tell you to search, and that's where the interesting conundrum lies. As we grow, it becomes more difficult to find something with search, so we all post our questions as new threads, sometimes in the wrong sub-forum, which clutters the forums more, making search even more difficult, causing even more threads and, well this has been happening as noted
    Nobody gets flamed for asking a question that's been asked before, the thread may get merged or closed, but the question gets answered one way or another
    Nobody gets put down for asking even the noobiest of questions, and the question will be answered

So if you can't find what your looking for, ask away, you'll get an answer.

Technician X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Last edited by spodoc; 09-04-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: nevermind :)

X Informant
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 1.5%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This is Bill Hansen, the OP of this thread. It's been surprising and very reassuring to see how many people clearly want to help. I think my best move is to wait until I have a clear idea of *why* I should root, Start out by reviewing some previous threads, take the first steps, and then ask one question at a time.

When the time comes, I promise to review the threads which provide instructions about how to get started, and then ask individual questions when I get stuck, as I know will happen. I don't want to duplicate questions or needlessly take the time of others.

As an older fellow (in my late 70s) I'm undoubtedly less tech-savvy than most of you, and that's part of the problem. Despite the reports of "one click rooting" or other quick and simple fixes, the process, with its multiple ROMs and other things, still seems quite complex as I try to follow threads of instructions.

Thanks to all who have replied. I've enjoyed reading your observations, and I'm reassured that I will get help, if and when I need it. (And as I wrote in the original post, I've already been helped a great deal by several of you, and by reading the forum itself)

Before closing, I should comment on the many suggestions that I use Google to find answers. I do Google things, *very* often! Many of my questions have been answered that way, but for some of the things which seem (to me) to be complex, I have not found answers which are clear to me.

Thanks again to all of you -

Bill Hansen

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billhansen2010 View Post
    This is Bill Hansen, the OP of this thread. It's been surprising and very reassuring to see how many people clearly want to help. I think my best move is to wait until I have a clear idea of *why* I should root, Start out by reviewing some previous threads, take the first steps, and then ask one question at a time.

When the time comes, I promise to review the threads which provide instructions about how to get started, and then ask individual questions when I get stuck, as I know will happen. I don't want to duplicate questions or needlessly take the time of others.

As an older fellow (in my late 70s) I'm undoubtedly less tech-savvy than most of you, and that's part of the problem. Despite the reports of "one click rooting" or other quick and simple fixes, the process, with its multiple ROMs and other things, still seems quite complex as I try to follow threads of instructions.

Thanks to all who have replied. I've enjoyed reading your observations, and I'm reassured that I will get help, if and when I need it. (And as I wrote in the original post, I've already been helped a great deal by several of you, and by reading the forum itself)

Before closing, I should comment on the many suggestions that I use Google to find answers. I do Google things, *very* often! Many of my questions have been answered that way, but for some of the things which seem (to me) to be complex, I have not found answers which are clear to me.

Thanks again to all of you -

Bill Hansen
    well bill... that's why we're hear... it good to hear that you'll be doing your research... that's all it takes... and i know me and several other people will be hear and will gladly help elaborate on those questions that you don't quite get... i know i've been there one too many times then i care to remember...haha...

well... we'll see ya around...

Post Script:

We have nothing to fear but runnig out of beer/*****|*****\

Nemo Aeternamn Wallpapers

Sbf: Linux - Rsd Common Terminolgy Root: Ginger Tether X2:Q&A+LINKS Stolen from Goose306: Info On 621

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Hi Bill. I'm somewhat like you I think. My dx is my first (and still only) computer and despite living in silicon valley I've allowed the tech train to pass me by time and time again. Nearing fifty I decided I didn't want to remain ignorant any longer. It does seem complicated ( " one click " is a little misleading) but it's fun hanging around the forum and after awhile you get more and more comfortable with the vocab. Your device is pretty amazing even without rooting. But rest assured you'll find plenty of willing helpers if you decide to root. No hurry.

Sent from my non-rooted dx

X Informant
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Didn't read the entire thread. Just thought I'd say my .02. This community has been by far the fastest to help with any problem. The tutorials are VERY detailed and to the point. I came into the "X" world knowing nothing about the android system, but all the help I needed was here. If I couldn't find it, someone was always quick to answer. And I don't mean within days, I mean within minutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads