backups and apps

This is a discussion on backups and apps within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; The excellent help file "Dummies Guide to Android Terminology" mentions SPRecovery, a program which makes backups of the Android device including the ROM (which I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backups and apps

X Informant
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 1.5%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

backups and apps

The excellent help file "Dummies Guide to Android Terminology" mentions SPRecovery, a program which makes backups of the Android device including the ROM (which I gather is somewhat like the OS plus whatever setup options have been chosen). I'm pretty sure I've read that there is no way to back up the apps on the device. If a backup is necessary, set device's setup is restored, but the apps will not be restored. Is that correct? If so, what do folks do to preserve thier apps - make a list of them and store that in some file other than the Android device, then manually re-downlaod the apps?

Are there other backup.recovery programs which should be considered?

By the way, excellent as that "Dummies" file is, I think it would be even better if the plain abbreviations were put at the top of the file, with the text descriptions below them. As it is, there are many abbrevs in the first 2/3 of the file which will be nonsense to mewbies like me - only to find them explained down below. I'll bet a lot of people get discouraged by all the anagrams, and don't finish reading the help file.

Bill Hansen
    Last edited by billhansen2010; 07-15-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: incorrect title of program

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Mod Team Lead
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 44.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Are you rooted? My back up app will backup the apks for you. And titanium backup as wellwill do that an much moreif rooted

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Yeah the only recovery we can have on our x is clockwork ( besides the stock one)
    Like what was said above i use titanium backup to backup things but if your worried about losing paid apps those are attached to your Google account and will sync when you sign in if you reset your device or flash a new ROM

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

If you think you have bricked your phone... do this.... stop look around say a few curse words then take a deep breath because you haven't we can fix this haha

X Informant
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, both of you. I'm not rooted. I'm new enough, and technologically clumsy enough, to know that if I tried to root my Droid I'd brick it. The reminder that apps are linked to my Google account helps a lot. I can drag and drop most other things between the computer and the Droid - or use the built-in app.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    460 times
    You can also use an app from the market called super manager, or another called app installer, both will let you back up your apps to the sd card as the apk install packages. It doesn't back up the data, just the apps themselves so you have them in cast they need to be manually restored

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Harley - That sounds like a good option for the "belt and suspenders" crowd. I belong to that crowd!

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    460 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billhansen2010 View Post
    Thanks Harley - That sounds like a good option for the "belt and suspenders" crowd. I belong to that crowd!
    No problem. No root needed. I used app installer a while ago when I first came here, I use super manager now, as it has additional features for the rooted user. I also had no intention or thoughts of rooting back then. Hanging around and reading changed that and it may do the same for you. So you know, it is basically impossible to brick your phone that we can't recover it, so if you do decide to do more, you'll get any help you need here

X Lurker
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 1.8%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Another good backup program would be appmonster or the pro version. It automatically backs up apps after install

Sent from my Droid X using Droid X Forums

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.3%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billhansen2010 View Post
    The excellent help file "Dummies Guide to Android Terminology" mentions SPRecovery, a program which makes backups of the Android device including the ROM (which I gather is somewhat like the OS plus whatever setup options have been chosen). I'm pretty sure I've read that there is no way to back up the apps on the device. If a backup is necessary, set device's setup is restored, but the apps will not be restored. Is that correct? If so, what do folks do to preserve thier apps - make a list of them and store that in some file other than the Android device, then manually re-downlaod the apps?

Are there other backup.recovery programs which should be considered?

By the way, excellent as that "Dummies" file is, I think it would be even better if the plain abbreviations were put at the top of the file, with the text descriptions below them. As it is, there are many abbrevs in the first 2/3 of the file which will be nonsense to mewbies like me - only to find them explained down below. I'll bet a lot of people get discouraged by all the anagrams, and don't finish reading the help file.

Bill Hansen
    Where can I find the "dummies guide to android terminology "?

I WANT TO FLASH MORE---SO cover YOUR EYES
    -oh yea and-
    Every pile of nachos has one main chip that holds the whole thing together... the nucleus. You don't take the nucleus, you work around it. You honor it. That's Nachos 101, man.---doug heffernan

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
    Where can I find the "dummies guide to android terminology "?

Here A Dummies Guide to Android Terminology & Lingo

If you think you have bricked your phone... do this.... stop look around say a few curse words then take a deep breath because you haven't we can fix this haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads