Bluetooth, how much battery does it use??

This is a discussion on Bluetooth, how much battery does it use?? within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I use headphones all day at work listening to online Sirius Radio. In the morning, I need to use wired earbuds as I listen to ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bluetooth, how much battery does it use??

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 1.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Bluetooth, how much battery does it use??

I use headphones all day at work listening to online Sirius Radio. In the morning, I need to use wired earbuds as I listen to a station on the FM radio app & that only works with wired headsets.

The rest of the day however, I can use either my Ultimate Ears earbuds or my Motorola S9 HD stereo BT headset. Does anybody know how much extra battery life I would get by using the wired set all day as opposed to swapping out to the BT set??

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 12.8%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Not sure exactly how much bluetooth drains your battery, but I use BT and non-BT frequently and I don't notice much of a difference. Obviously it drains more, but I think the data connection constantly running from streaming music is much more of a battery drain IMO.

Personally, I love my BT headphones over wired enough to ignore any extra battery drain. I figure I can leave my phone on the charger if need be and then I don't have to be right next to the phone as I would if I were wired.

Also, TuneIn Radio likely has the station you listen to if you want to use BT. TuneIn will drain more than the FM radio due to the data connection, but as I mentioned, you could leave it charging while its playing and still have the wireless freedom of bluetooth.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 1.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    unfortunately, the station I listen to is blocked from tune-in. It works on iheart radio, but iheart rebuffers so much it is virtually useless.

~John

Super Mod Team Lead
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    For me, just a 20 minute run using my Motorola S10-HD headphones and Doubletwist will drain about 10% according to the battery meter. But, since the darn meters only work on the 10th percentile on the Droid X, who knows how accurate that is...
    Last edited by gbrinn; 07-09-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Agent X
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    I also stream online radio with abd without bluetooth and I've never noticed a difference in battery drain. I also never have seen Bluetooth show up on the battery usage screen.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    ---
    Liberty 3 -- too many roms too little time.

Super Mod Team Lead
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    The 10% or so drain by using BT headphones isn't worth NOT using them. They are fantastic when running or when I'm in the car (doubles as hands free).
    "I stopped reading dystopic novels a long time ago. If I want bleakness and despair, I can look at my checkbook." - Solomon Short

"Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings / Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me, you can't see a thing / Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream
    Master / Master
    " - Metallica

DX Forums "Guidelines of Conduct"

Agent X
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 1.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Quote Originally Posted by C Dippa View Post
    Not sure exactly how much bluetooth drains your battery, but I use BT and non-BT frequently and I don't notice much of a difference. Obviously it drains more, but I think the data connection constantly running from streaming music is much more of a battery drain IMO.

Personally, I love my BT headphones over wired enough to ignore any extra battery drain. I figure I can leave my phone on the charger if need be and then I don't have to be right next to the phone as I would if I were wired.

Also, TuneIn Radio likely has the station you listen to if you want to use BT. TuneIn will drain more than the FM radio due to the data connection, but as I mentioned, you could leave it charging while its playing and still have the wireless freedom of bluetooth.
    Thanks tune in radio works like a champ!! Never knew about this app I use my local radio app but it doesn't work on cm7.
    Sent from Mopar-x

+ Reply to Thread

Ads