Mac users & Droid X questions & answers

This is a discussion on Mac users & Droid X questions & answers within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Originally Posted by jcstarr For syncing music, photos and non-DRM movies from your iTunes collection, I would highly recommend DoubleTwist. You can also download the ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Mac users & Droid X questions & answers

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Droid X and mac

Quote Originally Posted by jcstarr View Post
    For syncing music, photos and non-DRM movies from your iTunes collection, I would highly recommend DoubleTwist. You can also download the app to your Droid and it is free for the moment (at least I think it is still free). Syncing your iCal and Address book is rather easy too and there are several posts on this already; most I have seen are on Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones: Motorola Droid, Droid X, Droid 2, Droid Incredible and Droid Eris and I have contributed to several of those. It's awesome to type something in on my phone or Mac and know that it is ALWAYS synced between the two through the 'cloud'. I'm a Mac junkie so should you have any specific questions, feel free to PM and I'll be happy to help as I had to figure out everything on my own with my original Droid 1.
    I am totally fed-up with AT&T's services. I have an iphone but calls drop out, no bars, etc. The end of April my contract is up and switching to Verizon and Droid X. The only concern I have is mac compatibility. Should I be? I'm also a Mac junkie.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    No need for concern...the X is extremely compatible with mac. They both run on linux. There are quite a few mac users on here, search the forums a bit and you will find threads about mac and the DX.

If you don't find an answer to a specific ques. just ask....this forum is very helpful and friendly.
    I know just enough to get me into trouble...

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    The only time you may need a Windows box is if you totally screw up your Droid X and need to SBF. It is a Windows only deal. If you can find a copy of Windows XP fp3 it is the best/easiest to use

X Informant Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am a Mac user and so far have been very pleased with the Droid X.

I use Spanning Sync ($20 / yr) to sync iCal / Contacts with all of my Google Calendar and Contact data. This way, whether I am on my iMac @ home, MacBook Pro laptop traveling, or Droid X (Everywhere...) -- all entries made into Contacts and Calendars sync OTA with one another and its all good...

I have not tried to sync iTunes with the Droid yet, but would like the ability to do so.... Will try to figure this out soon...

Also, when I connect my Droid X to my Mac's via the provided USB / charging cable --- my Mac does not recognize the X as clearly as others have noted it does on a PC. I simply drag / drop files back and forth onto the SD card mounted in the X. So far, no major issues there.

Enjoy!
    Regards,

Bill
    -----------

Droid X v 2.2.1 / System v 2.3.340 / Stock --- Not Rooted
    ClearCoat - Ottberbox Commuter - Ram Mount Car setup

"I have not failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work", Thomas Edison

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkalu View Post
    Also, when I connect my Droid X to my Mac's via the provided USB / charging cable
    and you are in "USB Mass Storage" mode?

X Lurker Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just got done removing doubletwist from my X today. I paid for syncing via bluetooth and it was a nightmare. Uggh! I use an IMac.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by medman View Post
    I just got done removing doubletwist from my X today. I paid for syncing via bluetooth and it was a nightmare. Uggh! I use an IMac.
    I tried using doubletwist and it seemed like there was always a problem - whether the desktop application would cause my macbook to grind to a halt with the spinning pinwheel or I would wind up with duplicates of my music on my DX. I know that doubletwist recently updated to include wireless syncing but I just don't trust that program.

The best solution I have found is isyncr for mac. Yeah, it costs a few bucks but it's definitely worth it. I just wish it had wireless sync because the dev made a wireless sync for PC users. But oh well. Plugging my phone into the computer when I need to sync music really isn't such a big deal. **isyncr doesn't like DRM so if you purchased a lot of your music on itunes then you may want to convert those files or run a program to strip the DRM before using isyncr.

X Informant Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DebianDog View Post
    and you are in "USB Mass Storage" mode?
    @DebianDog -- Yes, I am in USB Mass Storage mode...
    Regards,

Bill
    -----------

Droid X v 2.2.1 / System v 2.3.340 / Stock --- Not Rooted
    ClearCoat - Ottberbox Commuter - Ram Mount Car setup

"I have not failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work", Thomas Edison

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkalu View Post
    @DebianDog -- Yes, I am in USB Mass Storage mode...
    You know right after my last post I noticed mine doing the same thing. If I went to the disk utility or refreshed my finder in some way it would show up. Just moved to Droid 2.2.1 so far so good.

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am a Mac user. I want to got from outdated blackberry to a droid phone. The only thing I really care about synchronizing is address book and iCal. I have read the instructions on Google's help page but my iCal does not synch over to google. I have heard and read bad things about the missing sync. Can address book and iCal be synced(sp?) on a ongoing basis. I also have a mobile me account. Apple tech support has not been useful. They only want to help with the iphone. I tried it and can't stand AT&T.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads