Dalvik cache: what is it and when do I need to clear it?

This is a discussion on Dalvik cache: what is it and when do I need to clear it? within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Thanks. I follow instructions when flashing roms and some say to clear dalvik cache. What is it and is it necessary? Also, if i occasionally ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dalvik cache: what is it and when do I need to clear it?

X Operative
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Smile Dalvik cache: what is it and when do I need to clear it?

Thanks. I follow instructions when flashing roms and some say to clear dalvik cache. What is it and is it necessary? Also, if i occasionally go in to clockwork recovery and clear it, does it help/hurt anything?

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    it can be the cure to a some problems.. it really wont hurt anything to do it but if the instructions say clear it go ahead and clear the developer said to do so for a reason

Dalvik is the process virtual machine (VM) in Google's Android operating system. Dalvik is thus an integral part of Android, which is typically used on mobile devices such as mobile phones, tablet computers and netbooks. Before execution, Android applications are converted into the compactDalvik Executable (.dex) format, which is designed to be suitable for systems that are constrained in terms of memory and processor speed.
    Dalvik, like the rest of Android, is open-source software. It was originally written by Dan Bornstein, who named it after the fishing village of Dalvk inEyjafjrur, Iceland, where some of his ancestors lived.

Dalvik (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I
    should add that sometimes I cleared mine through titanium and it seemed to speed to phone up if there were a lot of junk there.. then again it might have been a placebo effect...
    Last edited by cory46; 06-22-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    ToeJamm57 likes this.

If you think you have bricked your phone... do this.... stop look around say a few curse words then take a deep breath because you haven't we can fix this haha

X Informant
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd been wondering about this as well but never bothered to do the research. Thanks for the explanation!

X Lurker
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    In that same vein...

I always do a backup in CW before making changes to my phone. If something does go wrong, stuck in boot loop etc, I just restore and all is back to working. There's probably a fix to a problem such as wiping or clearing cache, factory reset etc but I'm unsure what each does and when to use a certain fix as opposed to simply restoring. Any thoughts?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Freethinker View Post
    In that same vein...

I always do a backup in CW before making changes to my phone. If something does go wrong, stuck in boot loop etc, I just restore and all is back to working. There's probably a fix to a problem such as wiping or clearing cache, factory reset etc but I'm unsure what each does and when to use a certain fix as opposed to simply restoring. Any thoughts?
    Always start with cache and dalvik cache first, it that don't solve the issue, then doing a factory reset might. If that don't solve it either, then restoring a backup/SBF should fix it. If I have any major issues, I almost always SBF back first to the base of my nandroid, then restore that nandroid on a fresh base.

DroidXForums Guidelines of Conduct
    Show Your Support and Become a Supporting Member Today!

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Well the easiest way I can explain it because a: I know enough to get myself in trouble b: I don't know enough haha to please my own curiosities.

When installing a new ROM say you were stock rooted gingerbread build and wanted to get a ROM you should backup the working stuck version then wipe data and cache to make sure you have a nice clean environment. Dalvik wouldn't hurt either.

In the bootloop case sometimes that is caused by remnants of data left over so a data wipe could bring you out of that bootloop .

Data will always wipe all internal memory ( apps and such)

Cache is like cleaning out your work desk you have papers files and folders stored there for easy access and after a while sometimes they aren't needed so you pitch them haha

Edit: o and listen to mac's advice haha

I haz interwebz
    Last edited by cory46; 06-23-2011 at 12:06 PM.

If you think you have bricked your phone... do this.... stop look around say a few curse words then take a deep breath because you haven't we can fix this haha

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    786 times
    Dalvik restructures the framework on boot after you wipe which is why a dalvik wipe will result in a longer boot time (as it recompiles the framework). When switching from theme to theme, its good to wipe dalvik to avoid theme overlap

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 3.4%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Very informative thread. Thanks.

Advocate X Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    If your flashing Themes from one ADW Theme to another, do you still have to wipe cache in Dalvik?

Or is it from ADW Theme to Launcher Pro to wipe Dalvik

Its Bubba
    It's Going Along for the Ride...

"Stubborn In You're Bones"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The persuader View Post
    If your flashing Themes from one ADW Theme to another, do you still have to wipe cache in Dalvik?

Or is it from ADW Theme to Launcher Pro to wipe Dalvik

Its Bubba

I've never wiped with ADW or launcher Pro themes sooooooooooooooI dunno if that would help or not

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads