Warning: Mobile Device Protection Association (MDPA) is a Scam

This is a discussion on Warning: Mobile Device Protection Association (MDPA) is a Scam within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I was just shopping for a new phone, and although this is a Droid forum i admit its a samsung galaxy note 2 However i ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Warning: Mobile Device Protection Association (MDPA) is a Scam

I was just shopping for a new phone, and although this is a Droid forum i admit its a samsung galaxy note 2 However i want to thank you for posting this, it was very helpful and possibly prevented a huge headache in the future with this insurer. I have dealt with bad insurers in the past and this time i knew i had better do some research. If they do answer to how you should hold your phone its probably going to be something like, hold it in a way where it does not break or ever get lost, that way you dont have to request replacement or aid.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 8.3%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    iintel619: Glad you found this thread and didn't get ripped off by this POS "company." I'm still amazed to see this post still a top five search result on Google AND Bing after 1.5 years later. Not to mention the number of people who have singed up just to add their comment about giving this POS "company" the bird.

Hope you enjoy your Note 2. Pretty nice piece of tech there!!! I have since retired my DX from active duty but it still rocks on as a media server of sorts in the house.

fasthair

Quote Originally Posted by iintel619 View Post
    I was just shopping for a new phone, and although this is a Droid forum i admit its a samsung galaxy note 2 However i want to thank you for posting this, it was very helpful and possibly prevented a huge headache in the future with this insurer. I have dealt with bad insurers in the past and this time i knew i had better do some research. If they do answer to how you should hold your phone its probably going to be something like, hold it in a way where it does not break or ever get lost, that way you dont have to request replacement or aid.

Thumbs up Good Company--Great Investment

Hi--I bought 4 Droid Bionics from Wirefly in Dec 2011. I also purchased the insurance from MDPA for one year on each phone ($69 each). This was far less expensive than Verizon's insurance and had no deductible.

It was an uneventful year until Nov when my son-in-law showed up with a fractured faceplate on the phone. I initiated a claim through the website, received shipping instructions with an RMA#, and mailed the phone in. Five days later, the phone returned from Michigan (repair site) with a new faceplate and NO CHARGE. No muss, no fuss, no problem.

I did a lot of research on this company before committing to them. Their literature is very clear: if you appear in any way to be negligent and lose your phone, you're done. I've read every complaint and annoyance above this, and with all due respect to the authors, the concerns raised were covered in the initial contract--I know you don't want to hear/believe that, but as near as I can tell, it's true (no rebuttal needed, thanks).

YMMV, but for me, MDPA did exactly what they said they would do without any problems.

As a comparison, my daughter's phone had a problem with the camera under warranty. Sent it to Motorola for repairs and they lost it. Went through the escalation process and the escalation team couldn't locate it so they determined that the phone couldn't be fixed. They offered me a Razor (the original piece of crap) for replacement. While we negotiated, the repair facility repaired and returned the phone. Motorola excalation team is still trying to send me a replacement.

Best wishes,

JR

Exclamation Real scam.

Same thing is happening to me at this moment and i think they have some kind of data base for the customers they dealth already because i was able to talk to them through phone one time and now after they denied me its impossible to reach them to talk on the phone. When youre buying your phone from Target be careful thats the insurance scam they are giving you.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It's a scam. It happened to me. I dropped my from my belt clip, and they claimed water damaged. Before I'm done, I intend to expose them for what they are. I was sort of mis-lead thinking I had Verizon's insurance. It's a scam, scam, scam.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A "SECOND"... YOU'VE GOT IT!

My experience with MDPA is the "same old story"... albeit different path. The string is attached. I tried to be to be understanding, but there is simply no negotiating. They knew the answer before I started. SHAME ON ME FOR NOT DOING MORE WEB RESEARCH BEFORE SIGNING.

Model: Samsung Galaxy Note II - 4G LTE

Tracking Notes:
    By You on July 5, 2013 at 4:16pm
    Phone was stolen 7/5/2013 from my car while parked in the ... Golf course parking lot.

By MDPA on July 5, 2013 at 4:24pm

Your Request for Service (RFS) has been received. Please allow 24-48 hours for processing. You can login and click on TRACK RFS for status at any time.

Thank you for contacting MDPA.

By You on July 5, 2013 at 10:42pm

This phone is used for my business. Whatever you can do to expedite processing would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Dan Young

By You on July 8, 2013 at 7:57am

Today until 4 pm I can be reached at ... Ask for Dan Young

By MDPA on July 8, 2013 at 4:46pm

Please provide the details as to how the theft or burglary of your vehicle occurred. Include all items stolen, describe the point of entry to the vehicle, any damage incurred and reported to your auto insurance carrier. Also provide a copy of the police report with a detailed narrative.

Sorry to hear that your phone was lost/stolen. Your case has been forwarded to our Fraud Protection Unit. In order to expedite your request we require you get a police report and forward it to us by fax 561-721-0385 or email stopfraud@mobiledeviceprotection.com. Once this is received we will be able to flag the ESN/IMEI number of that phone so if someone is using your phone, or tries to activate it, we will be notified. At that time the phone will be confiscated and the person holding the phone will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. All police information must be received within 30 days of this notification.
    We are here to assist you the quickest way possible. We appreciate your assistance with this matter and if you have any additional questions, please contact Fraud Protection Unitís liaison, Heather Hughes at 561-721-0358 x109 or email at stopfraud@mobiledeviceprotection.com.

By You on July 9, 2013 at 10:10am

I have responded to stopfraud@mobiledeviceprotection.com as requested.

Once again, I ask for your expedited attention since this is something I use in my business.

Thank you,
    Dan young

By You on July 9, 2013 at 10:11am

I have responded to stopfraud@mobiledeviceprotection.com as requested.

Once again, I ask for your expedited attention since this is something I use in my business.

Thank you,
    Dan young

By MDPA on July 9, 2013 at 11:52am

Your police information has been received and forwarded to the Account Manager for review. You will be contacted via this website once a decision has been reached. Thank you.

By You on July 9, 2013 at 12:20pm

Thank you.

Dan

By MDPA on July 9, 2013 at 12:24pm

You're welcome .

By You on July 9, 2013 at 1:06pm

Can it be expedited? I'm really at a disadvantage business-wise.

Hopeful?
    Dan

By MDPA on July 9, 2013 at 1:16pm

You're police report is currently being reviewed by your Account Manager. Once any further information becomes available we will update your Request for Service.

By MDPA on July 9, 2013 at 2:59pm

We understand your car was parked within 50 yards of your location, however, coverage only exists when vehicle is fully secured, i.e. doors and windows must be closed and locked. According to our investigator, your car was unlocked.

By You on July 9, 2013 at 3:26pm

Please reconsider your evaluation. I understand what you're saying, but people are NOT perfect. The reason we purchase such coverage is to help when we are not perfect.

This is my first such coverage. It's quite disappointing.

Is there something that we can do to re-open discussions in a meaningful way... like on the phone?

Respectfully,
    Dan Young

By You on July 9, 2013 at 3:45pm
    Please consider the extenuating circumstances. This is theft in the truest form. I would not have felt better if the windows were shattered or locks broken just to assure coverage. This was accidental.

I am aware that you must try to determine truth, because you are probably inundated with fraud. You can reach me at home ... after 5pm and before 7 pm tonight.

You're communication in this matter would be appreciated.

Dan

By MDPA on July 9, 2013 at 3:54pm

Your comments and concerns have been forwarded to your Account Manager for review. I have asked for reconsideration on their decision. Please allow 24-48 hours for a response.

By You on July 9, 2013 at 4:01pm

You assistance is much appreciated. The challenge to sort out the fraud must be overwheelming

By You on July 10, 2013 at 10:17am

"Your wireless device is an investment, and a sensible device protection plan guarantees you inexpensive and hassle-free replacement in case of damage or theft."

LIVE UP TO YOUR ADVERTISING!

By You on July 10, 2013 at 10:29am

Well... I now have done some research. WOW! This is more serious than I thought. Respond quickly. We have some things to discuss

By You on July 10, 2013 at 2:15pm

?????????????

By MDPA on July 11, 2013 at 2:03pm

Very sorry we are not able to replace your phone taken from your unlocked/unsecured vehicle. Please note the published terms and conditions which are bound by statute to comply with.

By You on July 11, 2013 at 3:19pm

Nice excuse. Please terminate my coverage today.

No further invoices will be accepted.

Your business practice is misleading, deceptive, unethical and borderline illegal. I have 4 messages to forward:

1) Wireless Market Plus

2) Better Business Bureau

3) Attorney Generals Office

and of course to 4) Facebook

It is only my desire to correct the injustice that MDPA has brought up so many. Have you read the press you get on the internet... or Care? Had I been one step faster, Iíd have researched your business practice BEFORE doing business with you.

Dan

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    They don't cover it stolen with a police report either. Personal experience... sadly.

I have the exact same experience with this company. I was going through the TSA security check at the Dulles airport and by the time I got done with and walked to the other side, my phone was missing from my bucket. When I started a claim with MDPA, they wrote back to me that this sounds like a mysterious (unexplained) disappearance and it is not covered. My question would be how can a phone be stolen otherwise. Once a phone is stolen, it is always unexplained as haven't caught the thief. Someone probably walked with my iPhone5 and since I was required by law to leave it in that bucket and go through the rest of security in a long line of airline passengers. I do not have a control over how TSA handles my bucket or any of this. I feel so bad why did I buy this insurance. These guys are SCAMers. Can we not do something to put them out of business?

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I advise all to get the string of communication to the BBB. They are attempting to get MDPA to offer a settlement. Only large #'s of people who believed they were deceived can help change the misleading sales/insurance relationships. Try: http://seflorida.app.bbb.org/complaint. Best wishes. I'll post the resolution of my case... should be mid-August.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Ads