Warning: Mobile Device Protection Association (MDPA) is a Scam

This is a discussion on Warning: Mobile Device Protection Association (MDPA) is a Scam within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Originally Posted by jerofld In the future, you can insure your phone through Asurion (or however it's spelled, it's VZW's official insurer) even if you ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning: Mobile Device Protection Association (MDPA) is a Scam

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 8.3%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
    In the future, you can insure your phone through Asurion (or however it's spelled, it's VZW's official insurer) even if you buy the phone else where. The only caveat is that you have to do it within the first 30 days of purchase.
    Trust me this phone is insured with them this time! And as I stated at the time I didn't know this company wasn't the one Verizon uses/sells. But your advice is valid and great for people to know.

fasthair

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    Last edited by fasthair; 06-04-2011 at 12:38 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    UPDATE: So today (6/10/2011) I get a check in the mail from these clowns for $35.00 and not the $69.99 I paid them for this headache. I don’t know about you but that is not a full refund that they stated I would be getting. Needless to say I have not and will not cash this check until I get a replacement phone and am done dealing with this company. Of course by then I’m sure the check will bounce anyway.

Oh yeah and our local police have nothing better to do than come to me to file a “lost phone” police report. Please spare me from going in to just how stupid that is.

One other note Verizon has already blocked the ESN of the phone so if someone did find it and try to activate it it won’t and it is Verizon who will know if and when that ever happens not this joke of a company!

Filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau too. They’ve been a member since 3/2010 and have 119 complaints files against them in that time.

Here is the latest email from these clowns.

We would be happy to further review this matter of your lost/stolen phone. Your case has been forwarded to our Fraud Protection Unit. In order to expedite your request we require you get a police report and forward it to us by fax xxx-xxx-xxxx or email us @xxxx.com. Once this is received we will be able to flag the ESN/IMEI number of that phone so if someone is using your phone, or tries to activate it, we will be notified. At that time the phone will be confiscated and the person holding the phone will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. All police information must be received within 30 days of this notification.

We are here to assist you the quickest way possible. We appreciate your assistance with this matter and if you have any additional questions, please contact Fraud Protection Unit’s liaison, xxx-xxx-xxxx or email at xxxx.com
    Best regards,
    MDPA Membership Committee

fasthair

X Informant Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
    In the future, you can insure your phone through Asurion (or however it's spelled, it's VZW's official insurer) even if you buy the phone else where. The only caveat is that you have to do it within the first 30 days of purchase.
    I have had Asurion (?) insurance for other phones and had to file a claim and I have NEVER been satisfied with the results. First you pay about $6 buck a month, then $50 more when filing a claim, then the real kick in the nuts: I would be sent some POS generic phone that was "similar" or "equivalent".

Smart phone are quite more expensive, but the insurance and claim charges are also. So buyer beware.

I also knew a girl, back in 2003, who worked for Asurion as a claim rep, and she said that the SOP was to look for a way to lesson the claim, any way possible.

Insurance is a necessary evil, but we need to choose the devils we dance with cautiously.
    Nobody asked me, and now it is too late.

You are so right! they are a real joke! there is no fraud protection unit, there is only about 5-7 people working there the goal is not to replace your cell phone, and when they do the phones they send you are not new, so if i were you i would not even bother filing a police report all they are going to do is order you a phone from EBAY. Take the money and run!

X Lurker Achievements:
    31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow I've always insured my phones with asurion and never had problems with the replacement phones...they are certified like new phones but look and act brand new.

Sorry for your horrible experience!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    DAMN!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Gingerbread. Rooted. What more do you want?

X Conveyor
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by myerscelille View Post
    You are so right! they are a real joke! there is no fraud protection unit, there is only about 5-7 people working there the goal is not to replace your cell phone, and when they do the phones they send you are not new, so if i were you i would not even bother filing a police report all they are going to do is order you a phone from EBAY. Take the money and run!
    At this point it's a matter of principle and getting what I am do and paid for.

fasthair

X Informant
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 25.3%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    no insurance,
    Last edited by Flintlock; 06-14-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Call the Company their phone number is 800-654-5590 and ask to speak with the Account Manager his name is Larry Jordan, He is the one that makes the decision whether or not to replace a members cell phone.

I would call the company and ask to Speak with Larry Jordan, they can be reached at 1800-654-5590 he is the one that makes the decisons on whether or not to replace a customers cell phone.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads