Wanting to factory reset, but what all will it erase and how can I save some stuff

This is a discussion on Wanting to factory reset, but what all will it erase and how can I save some stuff within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; When you factory reset, is EVERYTHING gone? the only thing i am really concerned about is my contacts. i have over 400 contacts that all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to factory reset, but what all will it erase and how can I save some stuff

X Informant
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Wanting to factory reset, but what all will it erase and how can I save some stuff

When you factory reset, is EVERYTHING gone? the only thing i am really concerned about is my contacts. i have over 400 contacts that all have pictures synced with facebook and as i have read you can no longer do this and i dont want to lose them, also will it erase the stuff on my sd card? ( pic's and stuff downloaded ) ? is there a way i can save my contacts/contact pics but still factory resety

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

RS Team Leader
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Factory reset will wipe all your data, you will be able to resync Facebook contacts once you get all your contacts back and sign in to Facebook, I believe.

If all you're really worried about is your contacts, sync those with your Google account via settings -> Accounts, or you can use Backup Assistant by Verizon. You can also export your contacts list to your SD by going into your contacts and pressing the first hard key (leftmost key) and selecting Import/Export.

Xponentially Better
    Everything will be erased except what is on your sd card.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Go here to make sure your contacts are there...http://www.google.com/contacts. If they are there when you sign in, they are synced and you should be good.

Can also export to the sd card as an extra backup, as pop mentioned.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you so much !!!!

X Lurker
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    So assume we remove the SD; mostly because it shouldn't factor into these questions. When performing a factory reset, which files/folders are affected exactly?

Are there any leftover objects that we should (by should, I mean if we want a true stock phone setup again and are being OCD about it) remove?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tgs View Post
    So assume we remove the SD; mostly because it shouldn't factor into these questions. When performing a factory reset, which files/folders are affected exactly?

Are there any leftover objects that we should (by should, I mean if we want a true stock phone setup again and are being OCD about it) remove?
    You don't need to remove the sd card, but it won't affect it if you do. If you're not rooted, factory reset will wipe all user data and you'll be completely stock.

If you are rooted, it depends what you've done with root...

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    if i want to save some apps (games mostly with highscores on them, and dont want to redownload them again) i can just move to sd card, wipe phone ,and move them back to phone when im done? i read that factory resetting your phone on gb helps it

X Lurker
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I too would like some info on this. I have appbrain loaded. I've searched and am still not sure about how to backup apps/contacts and wipe clean. Or even how to wipe it for that matter.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    There are apps on the market that can help back up all your apps and settings - MyBackup Pro is one- but wait for others to chime in here. In any case as long as you have auto restore and back up my data checked your apps will all re-download after you log back into Google. Look under settings >privacy.

Keep in mind however it's likely third party apps that are giving people problems with gingerbread. I'd strongly suggest re-downloading apps one by one. I did this and it's not that big of a deal honestly. Take you two or three w-fi sessions maybe depending on how many apps you have. You will need to Google " how to prevent auto re-download of apps after factory reset " and you can then learn how to do it. Essentially before you do factory reset you uncheck auto restore AND uncheck back up my data. Then, when your phone starts to take you step by step through the activation process (post reset) you skip all the adding accounts etc., wait for home screen to load and go directly to settings where you again UNCHECK auto-restore and back up my data. You may have to first check Back up my data in order to uncheck auto restore - sounds confusing I know but it's really simple. Just make sure both are unchecked again. At that point apps will NOT re-download and you can then enter your google account info. Also look up same topic over at the Motorola support forums. I followed these steps when I took the ota and am enjoying virtually problem free gingerbread.

Edit: Afterwards I noticed I still had my Robo Defense levels/points. I didn't know it at the time but that app had put that info on the SD card. So I guess if you are savvy about these kind of things you can check your SD card files beforehand.
    Sent from my DROIDX
    Last edited by holly; 06-09-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads