Newb's read this....common misconceptions, errors, and commonly asked questions

This is a discussion on Newb's read this....common misconceptions, errors, and commonly asked questions within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; If the original Bootstrap is working, great, sounds like you're in the clear, but it has caused numerous issues for others, which is why the ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Newb's read this....common misconceptions, errors, and commonly asked questions

Supporting Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    If the original Bootstrap is working, great, sounds like you're in the clear, but it has caused numerous issues for others, which is why the devs recommend that folks use the D2 version on GB, because it is a newer version...
    Where my time is spent away from the office!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 0.8%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Long Island, NY....uhhh nope, I live in Seattle now :)
    Liked
    4 times
    This is very well said, especially the part about doing research. I'm new to these forums, and to rooting, this being my first experience. But I'll tell you I didn't take step 1 until I'd learned the definition of every word listed before moving.

If nerdslogic would indulge me in a noobish question? Good on the basics and successful from .588 leak to .596 DeOdex, but what's the deal with Busy Box? Will I need this for any customizing that doesn't involve me doing my own coding etc? I'm about the mods n roms you guys vouch for ahead of time, nothing more. Thanks in advance...

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    GS 3izzle but still rollin with the best forum ever...

Shouts out to Wulf, XJacobX, BKDodger, Peakyboo, Mapatton82, Jersey, Rickw and Popcenator on the assist. It's good to be back!

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gi...bluebread.html

When VZW doesn't, DX Forums does...

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinrichmond View Post
    If the original Bootstrap is working, great, sounds like you're in the clear, but it has caused numerous issues for others, which is why the devs recommend that folks use the D2 version on GB, because it is a newer version...
    Agreed. DX will apparently work on GB if you turn usb debugging off, but better to be safe than sorry, use D2.

Agent X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelRyuX View Post
    Droid x bootstrap works for me been using it for everything.

----------
    Sent from Tapatalk using a rooted DroidX running 2.2.1 that's ROMED on Darkslide4.2Blur and Overclocked@LV1.2ghz
    Look at the signature -

If you are on 2.2.1 it will work for everything. Not for getting to or in 2.3.3

Super Mod Team Lead
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 44.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinrichmond View Post
    So y woudnt d2 work for me? Do I have to uninstall dx or turn the debugging back on? Any ideas

LGB-V6-ARCTIC SLICE WITH A TOUCH OF BLUEBREAD

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalz View Post
    So y woudnt d2 work for me? Do I have to uninstall dx or turn the debugging back on? Any ideas

Turn debug back on.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Good post Nerdlogic, a couple of things to add/change...

ROM's...the developers who release ROMs aren't just people like me and you...as has been said before, these guys have forgotten more about android than any of us know...

SBF...it's not the only way, but it's often the easiest and most fool-proof way.

Titanium Backup...not purely for backing up...can also freeze apps, as you mention later

Uninstalling Bloatware...I would add this link: Removing the Bloat 2.2 OTA - (3 Ways) Super Easy & Safe, Safe & Easy, Free

Z4root....doesn't work on GB. Gingerbreak will work on prior leaks of GB, but it won't work on the official update (4.5.596)
    Last edited by C Dippa; 06-02-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Super Mod Team Lead
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 44.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike7143 View Post
    Turn debug back on.
    Nope didn't work froze at the boot logo ...

Last edited by jwalz; 06-02-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Agent X
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cclauss777 View Post
    GingerBreak!
    added

Quote Originally Posted by rudyy View Post
    nice list. thanks.
    question: if factory reset removes apps and data, under what circumstances would it be used, and in what condition is the left?
    does it just remove downloaded apps and their data?
    addressed please re-read

Quote Originally Posted by JNEHAMA View Post
    1. The menu color of green vs. White is a nice way to differentiate clockwork from stock recovery
    2. Considering some people are still on froyo you might want to define bootstrapper apps as what bypasses the bootloader and gets us into clockwork recovery so we can install roms and other mods. The dx version only works in froyo. The d2 works for both froyo and gingerbread. Don't let the name confuse you d2 is the way to go unless you plan to stick to froyo.

3. Since this is for newbs how about defining froyo android version 2.2.1 build 2.3.340; gingerbread android version 2.3.3 build 4.5.596

Added....thank you

Quote Originally Posted by sgthwjack View Post
    Thanks for the OP. Been reading til my eyes are bulging but this cleared up a few things for me. Just to make sure I have the right idea, a ROM is an operating system, like Windows, Ubuntu, etc. The Bootloader is the equivalent of the BIOS in a PC. Most of the rest I already figured out but those two were confusing me a bit. Do I have it right? (more or less anyway, LOL)
    That is pretty much correct. I added a section at the bottom to cover some of this as well as added to relevant sections.

Quote Originally Posted by C Dippa View Post
    Good post Nerdlogic, a couple of things to add/change...

ROM's...the developers who release ROMs aren't just people like me and you...as has been said before, these guys have forgotten more about android than any of us know...

SBF...it's not the only way, but it's often the easiest and most fool-proof way.

Titanium Backup...not purely for backing up...can also freeze apps, as you mention later

Uninstalling Bloatware...I would add this link: Removing the Bloat 2.2 OTA - (3 Ways) Super Easy & Safe, Safe & Easy, Free

Z4root....doesn't work on GB. Gingerbreak will work on prior leaks of GB, but it won't work on the official update (4.5.596)
    added and expanded on. Thank you.

Just in case you guys didn't realize from this post but the initial post has been updated with more information.
    sgthwjack likes this.
    I have done a lot of write up's....here's a link to some. If you would like help with your phone simply ask, PM me, or drop me an email and I will assist where I can.
    List of phones I can help with: Droid, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid 3, Droid Bionic.
    If you don't get response here try me on DroidForums, XDA, or Rootzwiki under the same name

Agent X
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveToPonder View Post
    This is very well said, especially the part about doing research. I'm new to these forums, and to rooting, this being my first experience. But I'll tell you I didn't take step 1 until I'd learned the definition of every word listed before moving.

If nerdslogic would indulge me in a noobish question? Good on the basics and successful from .588 leak to .596 DeOdex, but what's the deal with Busy Box? Will I need this for any customizing that doesn't involve me doing my own coding etc? I'm about the mods n roms you guys vouch for ahead of time, nothing more. Thanks in advance...

Busy Box is an application that you install on your device to give you access or the abiltiy for additional LINUX / UNIX based commands. You need Busy Box installed because some commands are not available to you and you may need them for some root level tasks.

I hope that helps.
    I have done a lot of write up's....here's a link to some. If you would like help with your phone simply ask, PM me, or drop me an email and I will assist where I can.
    List of phones I can help with: Droid, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid 3, Droid Bionic.
    If you don't get response here try me on DroidForums, XDA, or Rootzwiki under the same name

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads