WIFI Hotspot

This is a discussion on WIFI Hotspot within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Is the WIFI hotspot feature somrthing that you can turn on and off? I would only use the feature when traveling....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WIFI Hotspot

X Lurker
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

WIFI Hotspot

Is the WIFI hotspot feature somrthing that you can turn on and off? I would only use the feature when traveling.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor Achievements:
    Three Friends250 Experience PointsYour first Group100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    I would think that you can turn it on and off, but I would suggest keeping it on for a month, because if you just use it for a week on, then a week off you can rack up some pro-ration charges out the butt! You would have to go onlne, call, or go to the store to remove the feature from your plan. Adding it should be as simple as turning on the hot spot.

Follow me on Twitter

X Lurker
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taypotts View Post
    I would think that you can turn it on and off, but I would suggest keeping it on for a month, because if you just use it for a week on, then a week off you can rack up some pro-ration charges out the butt! You would have to go onlne, call, or go to the store to remove the feature from your plan. Adding it should be as simple as turning on the hot spot.
    Thanks - Since I am retired we take lots of long RV trips, while more and more campgrounds have WIFI there are still some that don't. Keeping it on for a month sounds like a plan.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You can contact Verizon and have them turn it on and off at will. Both data and price are prorated for the number of days you have it on. At $20/month, it comes out to about $0.67/day so for a weekend here and there, it's pretty cheap. You can even tell Verizon when to turn it off when you call them to turn it on so you can save a call later.

I always ask the CSR to submit a feature request to add this capability to MyVerizon so I don't have to call each time.

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Use caution when not activating it for a full month. Sure it might be .67 a day, so a weekend would cost $1.34 plus your tax, but don't forget you are also pro-rating your allowance. So that would give you just over 136MB of use. If you don't plan on using it much, then you are set. But if you get on and start browsing away thinking you have the full 2GB for $1.34, you'll get an unpleasant surprise at the end of the month.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0.6%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Root it and use Wifi Tether.
    Be done with the Verizon surcharge.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads