Android Bug? Check your phone...

This is a discussion on Android Bug? Check your phone... within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I'm curious to see if this is true for all Droid X's. If it is, it's a bug that would be nice to get fixed. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Android Bug? Check your phone...

X Lurker Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Android Bug? Check your phone...

I'm curious to see if this is true for all Droid X's. If it is, it's a bug that would be nice to get fixed.

1. Plug your phone into your PC using the USB cable.
    2. Open "dcim" directory where your camera photos are stored.
    3. Rotate a couple of photos from portrait to landscape orientation.
    4. Unplug phone.

Now go back to your camera photos on the phone, and attempt to view them. Can you?
    If you can't, simply plug it back in and using your pc, rotate the pics back to their original orientation.

Looks like when Droid X photo's are rotated using methods other than the Droid X UI, it confuses the phone. It still thinks the picture is in it's original portrait or landscape format, so it tries to display it as such, resulting in half the screen showing gibberish, while the other half shows part of the photo in the wrong orientation (portrait orientation, while being held in landscape).

If I could get a few of you to attempt to reproduce this error, then it's definitely an android OS glitch/bug that needs to be sorted out. On the other hand, it's also not a big deal, I guess. We can always just rotate using the phone itself, right? On the surface, that's true, but there's a possibility that this is just a smaller sign of a bigger problem. The "mediaserver" issue. The mediaserver issue from what I've seen on my phone is a problem whereby a "bad" photo or video trips up the mediaserver process which then goes into a state of retardation, using up an average of 95% CPU resources constantly until the battery dies. I'm not sure if this photo issue could trigger it too, but one thing I'm sure of is that there's yet some work to be done on the Android media interface. Mediaserver issues have been reported as far back as last year and should have been fixed by now.

Here's a couple of threads on mediaserver issues.
    Issue 6765 - android - "Mediaserver" consuming ~100% CPU time after failing to play streaming videos - Project Hosting on Google Code
    My Droid X definitely has a battery or battery hog problem... Screenshots Inside
    Mediaserver-What is it? - Android Forums
    Mediaserver making my phone really laggy - Android Forums

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Talldarknfugly; 08-13-2010 at 01:12 AM.
    Desert Droid and heycow like this.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Operative
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Yes mine does it too

X Operative Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I want the media server issue fixed so bad.... I think my battery life would be GREAT if the media server issue was fixed

Take Care,
    Rob
    -----
    REAL men practice Biblical Hermeneutics
    ...even on Tapatalk!
    REAL men practice Biblical Hermeneutics!

X Lurker Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rubi22 View Post
    Yes mine does it too
    Thanks. So that's 2 for 2 unless someone else has tried and just didnt share the results. I'm hoping we can get a few more acknowledgments just to be certain. Does anyone have any links for reporting bugs? I think the entire media interface needs to be overhauled. Last night I tried playing some movies on my phone but kept getting an error message for all of them. The formats definitely work because I've tried them on the same phone. I rebooted and now they are playing fine. It's not the first time this has happened either... The media player on my blackberry bold never gave me any issues. I wish they could do something about it...

X Informant Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Mine does it too. What's interesting is if you rotate a photo, then rotate it back, it displays fine. Also, if you copy the photo onto your computer, rotate it there and then copy it back to the phone, it displays fine.

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by heycow View Post
    Mine does it too. What's interesting is if you rotate a photo, then rotate it back, it displays fine. Also, if you copy the photo onto your computer, rotate it there and then copy it back to the phone, it displays fine.
    Yeah, that's what made me realize it wasn't a hardware issue. I almost had tech support replace the phone cos when I saw the distortion, I immediately assumed my phone was one of the lemons with the bad screen issue. But I realized it was only happening to photos taken with my camera... then I investigated further and came up with the above findings.

Yep. Same here. Irritating. My photos show up for a millisecond as they originally looked (portrait orientation) and then vanish and only an icon remains.

I also hate when I take a photo in portrait orientation and send it MMS only to have it on it's side. I'm looking for an answer to that one. No need to answer me here. Not trying to hijack the thread.

X Informant
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 1.3%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've been complaing here a lot about how I can't rotate a pic I take in portrait mode and send it. When I do it on the phone and save it then attach it to an email it attaches it in landscape and sends it sideways. Just dumb.

And why can we record video in portrait either!

Love android but way to many stupid bugs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Agent X
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    When you rotate a photo on the droid x, you're not actually reformatting or resaving the photo, you are just telling your gallery, "Show this picture rotated".

To resave the picture with a different orientation, you will need to rotate and re-save/save the photo in a 3rd party photo app. This has been explained NUMEROUS times on the board.

I can imagine this "display rotation" vs "save rotation" issue is also related to the manual rotation of a photo from PC while still on phone causing it to fail to display properly on the device.... but this isn't just the droid. If you go onto most digital cameras and edit the files while they are still on the camera, they won't preview properly anymore because they contain windows formatting.

If you want to rotate photos on your droid from your PC, just rotate them, save them, and then rename the file so the gallery thinks it's a different file. It SHOULD have the same "date taken" so it will still index chronologically with a rotate/save/rename.... but honestly the easiest thing to do is just rotate the photo once you've already sent it to someone, where it can just be rotated easily on facebook or on a computer, or find a free 3rd party photo app that has an option where you can rotate and then resave.
    Last edited by joeyjackpot; 01-07-2011 at 11:08 AM.
    Troubles installing OTA 2.3.340 Update? Click Here

X Informant
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 1.3%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjackpot View Post
    When you rotate a photo on the droid x, you're not actually reformatting or resaving the photo, you are just telling your gallery, "Show this picture rotated".

To resave the picture with a different orientation, you will need to rotate and re-save/save the photo in a 3rd party photo app. This has been explained NUMEROUS times on the board.

I can imagine this "display rotation" vs "save rotation" issue is also related to the manual rotation of a photo from PC while still on phone causing it to fail to display properly on the device.... but this isn't just the droid. If you go onto most digital cameras and edit the files while they are still on the camera, they won't preview properly anymore because they contain windows formatting.

If you want to rotate photos on your droid from your PC, just rotate them, save them, and then rename the file so the gallery thinks it's a different file. It SHOULD have the same "date taken" so it will still index chronologically with a rotate/save/rename.... but honestly the easiest thing to do is just rotate the photo once you've already sent it to someone, where it can just be rotated easily on facebook or on a computer, or find a free 3rd party photo app that has an option where you can rotate and then resave.
    In the numerous times I've posted about it it even searched about it you were the first to provide a solution. Can u suggest a 3rd party photo app?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads