Droid X FULL Backup to PC?

This is a discussion on Droid X FULL Backup to PC? within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; The backup with bootstrap won't back up your sd card...but as mentioned, you can just copy all contents of the sd card over to the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Droid X FULL Backup to PC?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 12.8%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    The backup with bootstrap won't back up your sd card...but as mentioned, you can just copy all contents of the sd card over to the PC with the USB cord connected. Just select all on the sd card, copy, and paste it into a folder called "Droid X SD Card Backup" or something like that...

And after you've done the bootstrap backup, that folder would also contain your backup since it is stored on the sd card...

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks ALL:

I guess my problem is that for the PC I use Acronis True Image. Whatever gets messed up, I can mount the image and grab a file, or just say the heck with it and reload the image. It restores everything, including Win XP. I guess that is just not going to happen with the Droid. I thhink what you are saying is that I can root the phone, then backup the Droid X itself, and then do a copy of the SD card to a PC folder (that requires nothing).

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 12.8%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EllenR View Post
    Thanks ALL:

I guess my problem is that for the PC I use Acronis True Image. Whatever gets messed up, I can mount the image and grab a file, or just say the heck with it and reload the image. It restores everything, including Win XP. I guess that is just not going to happen with the Droid. I thhink what you are saying is that I can root the phone, then backup the Droid X itself, and then do a copy of the SD card to a PC folder (that requires nothing).
    The backup you make backs up everything on the internal memory, including the OS, settings, apps, accounts....everything, and you can restore it at a later point in time. Similar to a system restore in windows. But think of the sd card like an external hard drive for your pc. A backup of the C: drive isn't going to backup your external hard drive too...

Technician X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EllenR View Post
    Thanks ALL:

Just slow down and read. You will find the nandroid backup from bootstrap does exactly what you are wanting. So your analogy of messing everything up and then restoring and image fits good here. Have at it!

For what its worth, I've seen a lot of stupid things done here by impetuous users (including me). Never have I seen one "brick" a phone to the point where it cannot be recovered. If you spend more than a week here you will quickly figure out folks here have your back and will get you on your feet should you try to prove me wrong
    Last edited by spodoc; 05-02-2011 at 08:14 AM.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you all. I have a lot to read...even see if I have a Droid X 2.1 or 2.2! I guess nandroid does require that I root but I guess there are apps for that as mentioned above!

X Conveyor Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Easy. Push Menu (hard/physical button) Settings > Scroll to bottom > About phone and read "Android Version".

But, seeing how you're an unrooted Droid X user, that version is 2.2.1 (this version of Android is called 'Froyo' FYI)

Also, when/if you root and do a Clockwork backup (Clockwork being the umm..."app" that loads after you run bootstrap), those files are kept in the "clockworkmod" directory of your SD card.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jerofld View Post
    Easy. Push Menu (hard/physical button) Settings > Scroll to bottom > About phone and read "Android Version".

But, seeing how you're an unrooted Droid X user, that version is 2.2.1 (this version of Android is called 'Froyo' FYI)

Also, when/if you root and do a Clockwork backup (Clockwork being the umm..."app" that loads after you run bootstrap), those files are kept in the "clockworkmod" directory of your SD card.
    Great, I am on 2.2.1 and 2.3.340. I guess I can start by running Z4root 1.3 and go from there. I d/l z4root to my PC, but I think I better do it from a link using the DROID X. Will clockwork backup do all the apps, data and settings on the phone? I think it does everything EXCEPT the SD card and writes the file to the SD card.

Technician X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    You got it

X Informant
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0.6%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    FULL DISCLOSURE:

Be aware that rooting your phone causes Verizon to look down their collective noses at you, and technically voids your warranty. Once VZW figured out I had rooted the phone, it was like any problem with the network was MY fault. Can't move data around the Capitol building in downtown Lansing, MI? "OH, I see that you have }Rooted_Your_Phone{! Perhaps you should have thought twice before doing that!" (Even when the issue is clearly not related to rooting).

My point is to be aware of the possible consequences. Don't misinterpret me though, I am rooted and would do it again.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccrack View Post
    FULL DISCLOSURE:

Be aware that rooting your phone causes Verizon to look down their collective noses at you, and technically voids your warranty. Once VZW figured out I had rooted the phone, it was like any problem with the network was MY fault. Can't move data around the Capitol building in downtown Lansing, MI? "OH, I see that you have }Rooted_Your_Phone{! Perhaps you should have thought twice before doing that!" (Even when the issue is clearly not related to rooting).

My point is to be aware of the possible consequences. Don't misinterpret me though, I am rooted and would do it again.
    Well, what I am concerned about is this. This phone is only a few weeks old. I have not even loaded any apps yet. If I root, and I did not change themes or start-up, I just used Droid X Bootstrap to do a full backup in case I screw something up, can I just unroot it? I do not want to use the FroYo sdk as having the phone look like I just took it out of the box is bad as well. So I guess I understand what you are saying. It's the same thing with my 3 TIVO-HD's I upgraded to 1 TB, but at least with them I could just put the original drive back in. Anyway, How did VZW know you rooted it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads