Verizon Wireless Network Extender

This is a discussion on Verizon Wireless Network Extender within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hi Folks, I just got a VZW network extender. Before getting the extender, at home, my signal strength was about -95db to -97db, I got ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Verizon Wireless Network Extender

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Verizon Wireless Network Extender

Hi Folks, I just got a VZW network extender. Before getting the extender, at home, my signal strength was about -95db to -97db, I got 0-1 bars and call quality was choppy and calls were dropping. I placed the device on the 2nd floor of my home, right next to it, I now get -54db. In my 1st floor living room, I have -62db. Call quality has improved dramatically. There is a small lag when on the extender network, however it is much more tolerable then calls dropping and poor voice quality. I think is was an excellent investment. Got it at a Verizon Wireless corp store for $199.99 plus a $100 mail in rebate. Total investment is $99.99. I use it with my Droid X and my wifes LG Versa. The bars on the Versa went up to 4, but the bars on the Droid X only goes up when I place or receive a call. Still works great though.
    smalltowngirl13 likes this.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    885 times
    Out of curiosity, how far are you from a cell tower would you say? I live in a rural area and we kinda sit down in a valley...we are only 13 miles from town but to say the least about a mile from the house service drops drastically - I have looked at these but the reps at VZW say it would still not be a good fit...

Anyone else use this? Same results? Opinions?
    Failure isn't falling down, failure is staying down.

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As long as you have Hi speed internet it should work great. Also keep in mind that they only do 1X (voice) They don't do 3G. a repeater would be better for 3G and all. I have a repeater in my home and i get 1.2 to 2.2 Kbs.

3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how far are you from a cell tower would you say? I live in a rural area and we kinda sit down in a valley...we are only 13 miles from town but to say the least about a mile from the house service drops drastically - I have looked at these but the reps at VZW say it would still not be a good fit...

Anyone else use this? Same results? Opinions?
    I honesty have no clue where the nearest cell tower is located. You can purchase the unit and try it out for 30 days. If it doesn't work for you, just return it. That is what I was going to do but it actually worked for me. Just don’t do the rebate until you know for sure that you are going to keep it.

X Informant
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 1.8%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My brother has one for where he lives in georgia cause he lives far from a tower, he says it works great,
    I live close to a tower so I have no problems with it.
    "Death's gotta be easy, 'cause life is hard
    It'll leave you physically, mentally, and emotionally scarred"

100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Near Hickory, NC (western part of the state/foothills)
    Liked
    2 times
    I also have the Vz Extender. Without it, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to make or receive calls, let alone do anything data-intensive like web browsing. ZERO reception without the extender, and excellent reception with it. I don't understand why my neighborhood is in a "blind spot" with respect to cell towers, but at least the Extender is a solid solution. That is, until we lose power or lose our cable lol. Verizon had some sort of network problem last week specifically impacting Extenders. We had no use of our phones for about 24 hours roughly. But when it's working (99% of the time), it's rock solid. My .03 cents

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    885 times
    Zoomdroid, thank you for starting this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lostman72 View Post
    As long as you have Hi speed internet it should work great. Also keep in mind that they only do 1X (voice) They don't do 3G. a repeater would be better for 3G and all. I have a repeater in my home and i get 1.2 to 2.2 Kbs.
    Does VZW also sell the repeater? Yes, I am connected to WiFi when I am home and I know all the spots in my house I can stand (LOL) if the phone does ring to keep service while I talk.

Thanks to everyone else on the info / feedback they have provided. I hope to see more over the next few days.

X Operative
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i have no proof but heard a rumor that they are making extenders that will all 3g for data transfer.

question about the extender though. i was told the current one doesnt increase data connnections

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    Zoomdroid, thank you for starting this thread.

Does VZW also sell the repeater? Yes, I am connected to WiFi when I am home and I know all the spots in my house I can stand (LOL) if the phone does ring to keep service while I talk.

Thanks to everyone else on the info / feedback they have provided. I hope to see more over the next few days.
    No VZW does not sell them. VZW rather you not use them. They can lock up and block calls for lots of people. For the most part they work very well. If they lock up you must unplug and reset it before VZW comes knocking at your front door.
    A lot of the new repeaters now have built in protects that will reset it self before that happens. The FCC rules state that we can use them but we are not allowed to interfere with VZW. The one I use is very simple to hook up. I also use a Yagi antenna. (I placed the Yagi in my attic next to a vent that faces the tower.)You have to point it to the cell site. Now keep in mind that I live in an area that is all 800 MHz band some areas VZW uses PCS bands for 3G and 800 MHz for voice or all PCS for Voice. It all depends. Do your researches before you spend money. Also keep in mind that LTE is coming very soon and that is all on the 700 MHz band. So theses repeaters won’t work with LTE. Well if you need more info I will try to help. Both of the items you can search for better prices on line.

Wi-Ex zBoost YX500-CEL Cell Phone Signal Booster (800 MHz Only) - Wireless Extenders - YX500-CEL - Boosters&sku=

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=07&p=YX055-CEL&d=WiEx-YX055CEL--Cel-Directional-Outdoor-Yagi-Antenna-15dBi-gain-(YX055CEL)-(Wireless-Extenders)&c=Cellular Antennas&sku=

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    885 times
    Interesting - thank you again lostman72.

@buzzkill - I am truly not worried bout increasing data connections as my phone automatically attaches to my network when I enter my house. However, I would like to have more freedom on the calls and be able to roam about my home if I am on the phone...

Thanks again for the info.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads