Verizon Wireless Network Extender

This is a discussion on Verizon Wireless Network Extender within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Originally Posted by rolandct Also calls will hand off from cell tower to your local extender, but will not hand off from extender to a ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Verizon Wireless Network Extender

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rolandct View Post
    Also calls will hand off from cell tower to your local extender, but will not hand off from extender to a tower.
    Mine does just the opposite. Mine will hand off from the extender when I am on a call at home and I leave the house while still on a call. It doesn't hand off to the extender if I am on a call when I get back home. I need to disconnect from the call and call them back to connect to the extender.

Quote Originally Posted by rolandct View Post
    Keep in mind they they offer a "3G" version it will be riding your local Internet connection back to Verizon. So there are a few problems with scenario:
    1) If your PC is using bandwidth there may not be much left for a phone or yet multiple phones to try and get a fast download/upload.
    2) You extender will have to back-haul all your data back to Verizon then go on net to where you are connected to, adding a lot of latency.

Unless they have a work around for the back-haul part it is a far superior solution to just connect your phone to the WiFi. Even though the "3g" extender and WiFi use the same local ISP connection the WiFi will provide much better performance.
    Also, good point on the internet connection riding on my network to Verizon. Since this is the case, it makes more sense for me to just use WiFi!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Lets revisit this..

I have had the VZW extender for a few months now. I love it. I have spoken to the local network engineer and they are going to push a 3g firmware to the units this january to also boost the internet coverage. This extender is no more then a lilttle portable cell site in your home or work. It allow VZW to do two things. Charge you so they can make money by taking the load off their network and also alow others in the area to connect to it. To think about it.. someone was really smart, VZW doesnt need to expand their service if lots of people in a neighboorhood that once got bad service start to buy these.

Food for thought!!

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I liked mine but ended up turning it off due to my spotty DSL connection. Per ATT, I am beyond the range of DSL yet they installed me anyway. I found that if on a call via the VZ extender and DSL goes down, you lose the call. What's more, if your DSL is down you can't make ANY calls via the extender as it sees the DSL modem but doesn't know it isn't connected to the internet. I looked for some option you could dial before making the outbound call that means "use tower not extender" but I didn't fine one.

Don't let me drive someone away from the extender. It works awesome...it's my DSL that is the problem

Now my extender is sleeping.....

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    885 times
    VZW just finished putting up a tower in our area...literally 1/2 a mile from where I live so service is getting better LOL...I considered an extender but the local store was always out and I never did order online...
    Failure isn't falling down, failure is staying down.

X Conveyor
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Same here. When I got the extender a few months ago I had bad signal. Since then I've noticed full bars so something happened

I'm torn between selling the extender or keeping it for the 'future' when I may live somewhere else that has bad signal.

X Informant
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I want one

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

X Conveyor
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    do you have stable, high-speed internet?

3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am still using my extender and still think it is great. I did notice like renthorin that if your internet connection drops, your call also drops. Minor issue since I have a stable internet connection (Road Runner). I would still recommend the product and if the network engineer that foreverXuser is correct about the firmware patch, that would make it even better!

X Conveyor
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    What is this firmware patch you speak of? Will it help make my DSL more stable? Kidding....

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I had one and it was hit and miss on boosting call quality and coverage. I returned it after one week.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads