Verizon Wireless Network Extender

This is a discussion on Verizon Wireless Network Extender within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Originally Posted by buzzkill i have no proof but heard a rumor that they are making extenders that will all 3g for data transfer. question ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Verizon Wireless Network Extender

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
    i have no proof but heard a rumor that they are making extenders that will all 3g for data transfer.

question about the extender though. i was told the current one doesnt increase data connnections
    Can you expain your question? the extender was made to give you good voice coverage in your home so yes it won't increase data 3G coverage. I think that's what you are asking about?

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    Interesting - thank you again lostman72.

@buzzkill - I am truly not worried bout increasing data connections as my phone automatically attaches to my network when I enter my house. However, I would like to have more freedom on the calls and be able to roam about my home if I am on the phone...

Thanks again for the info.

FYI: also extenders don't hand in from cell site or hand out. They are using your homes internet. (ISP) So if you have good coverage outside and walk into your home or pull up to your driveway you may drop the call.

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
    i have no proof but heard a rumor that they are making extenders that will all 3g for data transfer.

question about the extender though. i was told the current one doesnt increase data connnections
    I heard that also, but I think it will probably cost alot more for the device that extend the 3G service. The current one allows better phone reception and 1X data speeds, does not increase 3G data speeds. So you will get excellent coverage for text messages and calls but not for 3G data.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    so I've had my extender for a few days now. Bought it off Verizon's website for 250 with a 100 dollar rebate. It works great. I am in the upper -50's as far as db ratings and the sound quality is great.

A few observations:
    1) should you lose internet while on a call...that call is done. The phone keeps counting seconds as if the call hasn't ended but you won't be chatting.
    2) I initially had a problem with incoming calls where the person calling would hear up to 4 rings before my cell ever rang once. This had some calls going to VM instead of ringing through. The solution for me was a call to Verizon. They changed the default number of rings before a call goes to VM from 5 to 8 and now I get 3-5 rings on my cell before it goes to VM. :-)
    3) It is located in the basement of my ranch house and gets good GPS signal so I didn't need to string the optional extender.
    4) I don't care that it doesn't support 3G as I am on wifi when at home.
    5) where I live the signal repeaters/boosters don't cut it. Before the extender I got -93 db in the living room. Went up on the roof and stood on one foot with my arms at crazy angles and the signal went to -89. Not enough to justify the $$ of a repeater.

My .02 (.005 in Canada)

3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My parents got one of these for their house way out in the boonies. Miles from any kind of tower, you have to drive several miles just to get a single bar. With the extender, I get full bars anywhere in the house and out in the driveway. Data is 1x only, but it's great for calls.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I can't wait til the newer network extender comes out which also handles 3G! Of course I've got my WiFi going so guess it doesn't matter too much but will still be nice to have the 3G capable extender!

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lostman72 View Post
    No VZW does not sell them. VZW rather you not use them. They can lock up and block calls for lots of people. For the most part they work very well. If they lock up you must unplug and reset it before VZW comes knocking at your front door.
    A lot of the new repeaters now have built in protects that will reset it self before that happens. The FCC rules state that we can use them but we are not allowed to interfere with VZW. The one I use is very simple to hook up. I also use a Yagi antenna. (I placed the Yagi in my attic next to a vent that faces the tower.)You have to point it to the cell site. Now keep in mind that I live in an area that is all 800 MHz band some areas VZW uses PCS bands for 3G and 800 MHz for voice or all PCS for Voice. It all depends. Do your researches before you spend money. Also keep in mind that LTE is coming very soon and that is all on the 700 MHz band. So theses repeaters won’t work with LTE. Well if you need more info I will try to help. Both of the items you can search for better prices on line.

Wi-Ex zBoost YX500-CEL Cell Phone Signal Booster (800 MHz Only) - Wireless Extenders - YX500-CEL - Boosters&sku=

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=07&p=YX055-CEL&d=WiEx-YX055CEL--Cel-Directional-Outdoor-Yagi-Antenna-15dBi-gain-(YX055CEL)-(Wireless-Extenders)&c=Cellular Antennas&sku=

I used one of these for a couple months and it was crap, so i got the VZW extender and wow it has saved me. I couldnt use my phone at all at home, now it's flawless everywhere. Best investment I've made in a while, although it still irks me that I'm paying to improve VZW's network, but I'll take that over not getting or making any calls.

3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritech View Post
    I can't wait til the newer network extender comes out which also handles 3G! Of course I've got my WiFi going so guess it doesn't matter too much but will still be nice to have the 3G capable extender!
    I thought about waiting for the 3G unit also but for $99 after rebate, I thought I would give it a try. I think the 3G version will be alot more, and without a rebate.... Anyway, my X has wifi capability, may not be so good for someone that has a phone without wifi though.

Also, after having the unit for a month, it has been a life saver for me. No more dropped calls and choppy conversations! totally would recommend this device.
    Last edited by zoomdroid; 08-31-2010 at 10:48 PM.

X Operative Achievements:
    31 days registeredTagger Second Class250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Keep in mind they they offer a "3G" version it will be riding your local Internet connection back to Verizon. So there are a few problems with scenario:
    1) If your PC is using bandwidth there may not be much left for a phone or yet multiple phones to try and get a fast download/upload.
    2) You extender will have to back-haul all your data back to Verizon then go on net to where you are connected to, adding a lot of latency.

Unless they have a work around for the back-haul part it is a far superior solution to just connect your phone to the WiFi. Even though the "3g" extender and WiFi use the same local ISP connection the WiFi will provide much better performance.

Personally we purchased an Extender at my company for one of our floors and the thing is amazing as it allows connections going into the front of one of our data center rooms at least 100 feet from the unit is located. Previously all calls dropped there. Also calls will hand off from cell tower to your local extender, but will not hand off from extender to a tower.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Went to the Poconos for a couple of weeks this summer, cell service (all providers) is notoriously scarce up where we were - Verizon signal extender gave us full bars in the house, half or better within a reasonable distance (no more than 50 feet) of the house. You really can't beat it, the redundancy of using your WiFi to get 3G data service doesn't make much sense unless your phone is not WiFi capable.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads