Why would I need a 3g mobile hotspot and a couple other questions for newbie

This is a discussion on Why would I need a 3g mobile hotspot and a couple other questions for newbie within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; New to this I phone stuff, if I am getting verizon service, why would I need a 3 g mobile hotspot? Is it a good ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why would I need a 3g mobile hotspot and a couple other questions for newbie

Why would I need a 3g mobile hotspot and a couple other questions for newbie

New to this I phone stuff, if I am getting verizon service, why would I need a 3 g mobile hotspot?

Is it a good idea to buy a spare battery?

What would I use dnla for?

What apps come with basic phone package?

Thanks, Kenn

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    3g hotspot would enable you to provide internet access to wifi devices in your vicinity. A laptop, for instance.

I would wait on the battery for now. You won't know if you need it until you see how well you fare with one. Their will be extended capacity batteries on the market soon as well.
    Happy Birthday Spray, I'm Disappointed in You.

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn jones View Post
    New to this I phone stuff, if I am getting verizon service, why would I need a 3 g mobile hotspot?

Is it a good idea to buy a spare battery?

What would I use dnla for?

What apps come with basic phone package?

Thanks, Kenn
    Ok lets do the list.

3G Mobile Hotspot turns your phone into a WiFi Access Point to which 5 other devices can connect to to use the internet. It funnels the internet connect not through your unlimited data plan, but through a separate meter that only allows 2 GB of data per billing cycle. It gives you a readout in the app though, and 2GB is a lot even if you have 5 using it. Unless you are playing games or something. Also it costs and extra 20 bucks a month to activate.

You really will not need a spare battery unless you are away from power for 20 or more hours a day. Even if you are, you can do things like keep the screen off when you aren't using it, and there are tons of battery saver apps on the market which only turn your data connections on once ever hour or so to get messages etc. You can set whatever you like. It is not like the incredible where battery life is almost not good enough.The Droid X battery has some legroom.

DNLA is used to connect to multimedia devices who also have DNLA in your home network. Both of my PCs which run Windows 7 support DNLA. If you run Win7 yours should too. Also, many new TVs support DNLA. It is a way where you can share media over the airwaves. For instance, if your phone has pictures on it that you took and your TV supports DNLA, you can use your TV to read the pictures from your phone and display them on the TV. You get the idea.

As for what apps the phone comes with, well, i think there is a list here:
    Motorola Droid X Preloaded Apps List Leaked | All About Mobile - Nokia | iPhone | Samsung | HTC | Android

Along with the stock google android apps and mail and messaging programs and whatnot. Also the Marketplace has just under 100k apps too, I believe.

Hope that gives u what you need.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads