Droid X and its supposed firewall

This is a discussion on Droid X and its supposed firewall within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; So there is speculation that the Droid X is running some kind of special firewall in its retail ROM. I'm sure we're all fearing something ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Droid X and its supposed firewall

X Pursuant Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesYour first Group100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times

Droid X and its supposed firewall

So there is speculation that the Droid X is running some kind of special firewall in its retail ROM. I'm sure we're all fearing something like a PdaNet-killer or something else.

Do we have anymore information about this supposed firewall and what, if anything, it's blocking on those early retail phones that snuck out?

Sent from my G1 using Tapatalk.
    Having SBF/RSD Lite issues? Make sure you have the right drivers installed! (32-bit or 64-bit)
    www.FreeMyMoto.com -- Android kexec project

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered250 Experience PointsThree Friends100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    .... waiting on Miami to pop in....

X Operative Achievements:
    Your first Group250 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassThree Friends100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Basically what this bootloader does is only boot up official roms from Motorola, which have a secret code or key in it that allows it to be booted....it probably is on every retail phone.

X Pursuant Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesYour first Group100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by titans View Post
    Basically what this bootloader does is only boot up official roms from Motorola, which have a secret code or key in it that allows it to be booted....it probably is on every retail phone.
    No, no, no... I'm NOT talking about the signed bootloader. I'm talking about the "extra scripts" that they found unexpectedly and are speculating that there is some sort of firewall running. Go read the post in the news forum about the retail dump. I'll update the OP with a link once I'm at a PC. Am on the road from Chicago to Indy atm.

Having SBF/RSD Lite issues? Make sure you have the right drivers installed! (32-bit or 64-bit)

Miami1683
    well............

Here is the scoop to the Droid X and Root. The bootloader is locked down tight in order to get past that it will take some time. Keep in mind the Milestone was cracked On top of it i'm told that if we try to use an SBF it has a fail safe that will brick the device that fail safe would be considerd the " firewall ". I have spoken with P3 and BBcrackman this weekend. P3 seems to think "it may never get rooted". Now that doesn't mean it won't but it means patience is gonna be needed.

then good news here is it looks like we will have access to the Froyo build for this device signed and everything maybe by launch day. So thats a plus IMHo if we can get froyo signed it will help us crack the botloader and give everyone something to play with at the same time

X Informant Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Droid Network News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I'm taking a look at this supposed firewall. I decompiled the classes.dex file of the com.motorola.android.firewall jar file if anyone wants what I pulled from it. Trying to make sense of it all now.
    I'm Ack, a college student who runs two tech companies, works at a major consulting firm, and does personal consulting as well; oh and I play soccer and volleyball on the side . Follow me: here

X Pursuant Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Okay, so when "firewall" was used, we're not talking about an active agent monitoring/manipulating network traffic. Instead, we're just talking more of a bootloader-monitoring agent to keep us from messing with that.

And in other words, if/when we obtain root, this agent is in no way involved and won't block things like PdaNet and such. It will just make it much more difficult and dangerous to try and load ROMs onto it.

I'm sure I just butchered that all to hell, but is this a reasonable simplistic understanding of this?

X Operative Achievements:
    7 days registered250 Experience PointsYour first GroupThree Friends100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Wow, if this comes out to be true, might end up having to pay the 20 bucks >.<
    Android 2.2 leak installed. Now just waiting for 928droid theme for 2.2!

X Informant Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Droid Network News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Well there is an actual firewall application, but it looks like an application that is controlled by the user and not by motorola or verizon, and if it does block pdanet once we obtain root it won't mean a thing.
    I'm Ack, a college student who runs two tech companies, works at a major consulting firm, and does personal consulting as well; oh and I play soccer and volleyball on the side . Follow me: here

X Pursuant Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ack View Post
    Well there is an actual firewall application, but it looks like an application that is controlled by the user and not by motorola or verizon, and if it does block pdanet once we obtain root it won't mean a thing.
    Well, and once we obtain root, PdaNet doesn't mean a thing either. That's when we wifi tether.

Still... I'm glad you guys and everybody else is on the case! I wish I could help but my technical skills are prolly way too high level, and with my work (software developer/architect/IT director), I can't use my DX (primary phone) to experiment with too much because it's too important to me at work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads