Droid X and its supposed firewall

This is a discussion on Droid X and its supposed firewall within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Originally Posted by Martin030908 Even without root, the X is still enticing That's why i'm getting it lol....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Droid X and its supposed firewall

X Informant Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Droid Network News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    Even without root, the X is still enticing
    That's why i'm getting it lol.
    I'm Ack, a college student who runs two tech companies, works at a major consulting firm, and does personal consulting as well; oh and I play soccer and volleyball on the side . Follow me: here

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Operative
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yurdle View Post
    I agree.. but why wouldn't it work?... really think the firewall app will be stopping that stuff?
    If they built in a hardware firewall outside of the O/S, then very easily it could. Same thing as if I put a router in between your cable modem and your computer, or your cable modem and your own router. I could then very easily setup QoS (quality of service) to limit bandwidth in any fashion I choose, and as long as you don't have access to to change settings on it, there wouldn't be a single thing you could do.

I doubt this is the case, but it's very possible to do, were Motorola so inclined.

X Conveyor Achievements:
    Your first Group250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandDeschain View Post
    If they built in a hardware firewall outside of the O/S, then very easily it could. Same thing as if I put a router in between your cable modem and your computer, or your cable modem and your own router. I could then very easily setup QoS (quality of service) to limit bandwidth in any fashion I choose, and as long as you don't have access to to change settings on it, there wouldn't be a single thing you could do.

I doubt this is the case, but it's very possible to do, were Motorola so inclined.
    Well im sure everyone is hoping this ISNT the case lol.

X Pursuant Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesYour first Group100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MiXoLoGiSt View Post
    Well im sure everyone is hoping this ISNT the case lol.
    Somebody on here already tested one non-root tether app and said it worked just fine. So that's very good news for us. I'd recommend a good read of this thread if you want to know more about what this "firewall" is. It's really not a firewall in a networking sense. Instead, it's just a third-party hardware agent that either blesses the state of the system and allows it to boot or intentionally bricks your phone.

Supposedly Moto can easily repair this bricking, but that's not confirmed. I've seen somebody claim that it is permanent as well. Who knows who is correct on that one.
    Having SBF/RSD Lite issues? Make sure you have the right drivers installed! (32-bit or 64-bit)
    www.FreeMyMoto.com -- Android kexec project

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Ads