Virtual Wifi - Laptop as Wifi Extender

This is a discussion on Virtual Wifi - Laptop as Wifi Extender within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I don't know about anyone else, but my laptop gets a better wifi signal than my X. As my laptop is usually on, I set ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Virtual Wifi - Laptop as Wifi Extender

Technician X
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    142 times

Virtual Wifi - Laptop as Wifi Extender

I don't know about anyone else, but my laptop gets a better wifi signal than my X. As my laptop is usually on, I set it to use the virtual wifi feature in windows 7 to serve as a wireless repeater. This is good for another 150 feet or so of range, and I don't have to worry about my signal dropping.

The commands for this can be found easy enough, but I put them into a a batch file you can run to start it and turn it off.

You must have windows 7 and a compatible wifi adapter in your computer, but most any made in the last four or five years are probably fine.

To use, just right click wlan_on and run as administrator. This will set up a hotspot with the name "Laptop" and a key of 1234567890. You can right click and edit the file to change the name or security key if you wish. To turn it off, just run wlan_off.

Hopefully someone finds it useful.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

I have my laptop connected to my neighbors router via wireless. My xbox doesnt pick up the connection quite as well. Can this be used to bridge the two connections through my laptop? Ive tried, but most forums ive checked say i need a wired connection to my laptop. Is this true?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsondethomen View Post
    I have my laptop connected to my neighbors router via wireless. My xbox doesnt pick up the connection quite as well. Can this be used to bridge the two connections through my laptop? Ive tried, but most forums ive checked say i need a wired connection to my laptop. Is this true?
    Neighbor's router, huh? I assume this is with permission, right?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registeredCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    lol who hasn't borrowed wifi without consent from their neighbor. When I first moved away from home I couldn't afford internet, but it was in an apartment and no one knew that they should protect their network, so I had free wifi for a while.......

Ahem. What I meant to say is that stealing wifi is bad, mmkay

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 21.2%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    You can use the laptop to connect to the network and an ethernet cable from the laptop to the Xbox.

I did it using my phone as a wifi hotpot so I could update my 360.

Random ROM'd X

Technician X
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    You can use this to bridge the two. The only requirement is windows 7 and a wireless card that supports it. Most laptops that came with 7 or vista will.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Wifi Extender

I downloaded your wifi extender. I see it but it says no internert access so when i try to use it on my Droid it just goes back to whatever wifi connection i alrady had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow02 View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but my laptop gets a better wifi signal than my X. As my laptop is usually on, I set it to use the virtual wifi feature in windows 7 to serve as a wireless repeater. This is good for another 150 feet or so of range, and I don't have to worry about my signal dropping.

The commands for this can be found easy enough, but I put them into a a batch file you can run to start it and turn it off.

You must have windows 7 and a compatible wifi adapter in your computer, but most any made in the last four or five years are probably fine.

To use, just right click wlan_on and run as administrator. This will set up a hotspot with the name "Laptop" and a key of 1234567890. You can right click and edit the file to change the name or security key if you wish. To turn it off, just run wlan_off.

Technician X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    I downloaded your wifi extender. I see it but it says no internert access so when i try to use it on my Droid it just goes back to whatever wifi connection i alrady had.
    You need to set your primary connection to share internet access with the virtual connection.
    mistergq79 likes this.

how do i do that

X Lurker
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow02 View Post

Thanks-A-Million!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads