Just had an X in my grubby mitts!!! (My impressions)

This is a discussion on Just had an X in my grubby mitts!!! (My impressions) within the Droid X General Discussion forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; yeah I am a little giddy. Stopped by the VZW corporate store on my way home from work to confirm a few things on my ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Just had an X in my grubby mitts!!! (My impressions)

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.9%
    Achievements:
    Your first Group500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    356 times

Just had an X in my grubby mitts!!! (My impressions)

yeah I am a little giddy. Stopped by the VZW corporate store on my way home from work to confirm a few things on my add a line. Well while I was talking to the rep I asked if they had an X test mule in yet. And he proceeds to unholster his to show me. Apparently VZW employees were allowed to order them early. Well while I was looking at his another rep there that I know wallks up next to me and without a word hands me one to play with. Messed around with it for around 1/2 hour. Happy days!!!!

So here are my impressions:

-Yes it is big. But the thickness makes it feel not as big as it is. I don't have what you would call big hands and I could hold it comfortably and while holding it in my left hand could thumb the top right corner of the screen. And it is very well balanced.

-The hump is not intrusive at all. In fact as reported before while holding it in portrait mode your index finger rests right under. Now here is something about the hump that I have not seen reported. When holding it in landscape the tip of my my middle finger could actually sort of grip the hump offering a bit more stability.

-It is fast. Very fast. Browser and apps loaded up without hesitation. A few non mobile sites took a bit longer to load. But I am sure that will be non-existent with FroYo.

-The installed battery management and file management software are a nice touch. The battery management lowest setting for data on/off is 15 minutes. Not as variable as Juice Defender but it will do.

-The Moto widgets are really cool. The resizing feature is nice but only works with the amount of spaces that are available on your screen. It isn't infinite resize.

-Typing and Swyping on the keyboard is a dream. Even in portrait mode. I tried to type extra fast so I might flub up and didn't. Double tap is a great added feature in the stock keyboard.

Now with the good comes the bad. Nothing major so don't freak out.

-While the widgets are cool they are for lack of a better word boring. Seems like no thought was put into making them look good. Guess it is more function over form.

-Pinch and zoom is VERY sensitive. Almost too sensitive. I was playing with it in maps and was having a really hard time getting it to a specific zoom point.

-Though the size is nice, with a case it does start to lean on the bulky side. The rep had the case/holster combo on his and it does at a little thickness to it. Those of you with bigger hands or plan to run naked (not literally) won't have an issue. I will be running a case so the added bulk is a small trade-off for what I am gaining with the X. Not a deal breaker by any means.

-The screen, just like the Droid, is a fingerprint magnet. I will be adding a Clarivue dry apply protector to mine to lessen it.

Well that about sums it up off the top of my head. I may have missed a few things that I looked specifically at so if you wanna ask maybe it will jog my memory.

EDIT: Forgot to add I loaded up LauncherPro and it worked flawlessly. Improves the looks of the dock tenfold IMO. One thing I really don't like is the looks of the stock dock tray.

And to end this post here is a slightly (well very) blurry pic of the X taken by my Droid.

Last edited by Garemlin; 07-10-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    GotADV and Jaxidian like this.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Droid Network News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    The only thing i have been worried about is the size. I'm not planning on using a case just like I didn't use one with my Droid but I am still a bit worried about the size although you review makes me feel a bit better about it. I guess i wont know for sure until i get my hands on one.

X Operative
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Nice, after all the dents and scratches my Droid got, I am definitely getting a case for my X. I'll also be getting a screen protector of some sort.
    Droid X - Eris - Droid - Storm1 - Curve 8330 - Lots of LG Dumbphones

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsThree FriendsCreated Album picturesYour first Group100 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Member #
    In a land with pretty pink elephants =) Oh wait.. do people see this?
    Liked
    25 times
    Lol yeah I just had on in my hands too =)
    My girlfriend had to get her storm replaced because a button wasn't working and while we were there some of the employees were "learning" the droid x... ( Most of them were playing games on them lol) and I asked if i could check it out, the guy was like well.. were not actually supposed to be showing these yet but here. and I got to check it out for about a min..

I was surprised... it felt really light in my hand and really wasn't awkward to hold at all.. it seemed pretty smooth to scroll with and yes the screen is HUGE.
    As some people pointed out the hump actually rests on your index finger quite nicely. The app "drawer" looks kinda cool its kinda like the apps rotate around a cube.
    Can't wait to get this phone lol

X Operative Achievements:
    7 days registered250 Experience PointsYour first GroupThree Friends100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Kool, the local store keeps stating they don't have any yet, but I am sure than at least one person has one but they sticking to the rules I guess lol. I already have a screen protector on the way from amazon.
    Android 2.2 leak installed. Now just waiting for 928droid theme for 2.2!

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.9%
    Achievements:
    Your first Group500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ebidar View Post
    Kool, the local store keeps stating they don't have any yet, but I am sure than at least one person has one but they sticking to the rules I guess lol. I already have a screen protector on the way from amazon.

The reps at my local store had no problem showing them off. Like I said the one was showing me his and another rep was showing his to another customer. And obviously the rep I know gave me one of the stores to play with. Didn't even have to ask. He prolly already guessed why I was there anyway. Guess it depends where you are.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    Three Friends250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Great write-up Garemlin. I plan on stopping by a Verizon store tomorrow to hopefully get a chance to play around with one.

X Conveyor Achievements:
    Three Friends250 Experience PointsYour first Group100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danDroid View Post
    Great write-up Garemlin. I plan on stopping by a Verizon store tomorrow to hopefully get a chance to play around with one.
    I do on Monday hahahahaha... anything people want me to test? Right now I'm looking into browser, battery, mics for recording, the text selection thing, and I'm going to try as hard as I can to see what Gameboid looks like on it, as long as it works...

X Operative
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i got my hands on one too. tis absolutely amazing

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsThree FriendsCreated Album picturesYour first Group100 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Member #
    In a land with pretty pink elephants =) Oh wait.. do people see this?
    Liked
    25 times
    If you think they will say they don't have one tell a manager you know they have one in the back and you want to check it out before you buy it... worked for me and my friend lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads