DROID X - Hard Keys

This is a discussion on DROID X - Hard Keys within the Droid X FAQs forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Nice info and post...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: DROID X - Hard Keys

X Conveyor Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Nice info and post
    My phone has been flashed more times than an old pervert at Mardi Gras!

DROID X

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks for the info. Little things like this is why this forum rocks.

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    So I guess Power Strip, and QuickDesk are no longer an option on a DX?

Thanks
    I've gotten QuickDesk to work on my DroidX by setting Double Tap Timing to 700 for QuickDesk (Preferences/Behavior Settings/Double Tap Timing). QuickDesk comes up when you do a slow double tap on the Home key. The default launch double tap for the DroidX (Settings/Applications/Double tap home launch) still displays with a quick double tap.

X Lurker Achievements:
    3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks! Setting the speed on quickdesk to 700 worked like a charm!

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    anyone have any information regarding remapping the hardkeys for other functions? i.e. camera button as back button and vice versa?

Advocate X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 31.6%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times

Cool Detailed information pertaining to the doubletap and configuration of QuickDesk & LP

Hello fellow Droid X user,

I noticed this thread and wanted to help out because I have dealt with the exact problem before and have already written a solution. About a month I posted my discoveries for dealing with the Doubletap feature, including information for for properly configuring Launcher Pro to work with QuickDesk:customize the home double tap - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

For dealing with remapping other hard-keys you should check the addon "Tasker", with this program you can automate pretty much anything you want, like making a the camera button open up a menu of various camera apps.
    Last edited by WugFresh; 11-27-2010 at 06:17 PM.

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh View Post
    Hello fellow Droid X user,
    I noticed this thread and wanted to help out because I have dealt with the exact problem before and have already written a solution. About a month I posted my discoveries for dealing with the Doubletap feature, including information for for properly configuring Launcher Pro to work with QuickDesk:customize the home double tap - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    I appreciate you pointing out your alternative, WugFresh. I unfortunately don't like the doubletap method to get to my home screens since I use the home screens more often than QuickDesk. So I much prefer the solution of pulling up QuickDesk using doubletap by changing the QuickDesk Double Tap timing parameter to 700 that I mentioned above. There is also a solution for rooted phones that I mentioned here. To each their own, I guess.

For dealing with remapping other hard-keys you should check the addon "Tasker", with this program you can automate pretty much anything you want, like making a the camera button open up
    Thanks for the reminder about Tasker. I'm going to have to check it out.
    Last edited by Pushwall; 11-25-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Advocate X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 31.6%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pushwall View Post
    I appreciate you pointing out your alternative, WugFresh. I unfortunately don't like the doubletap method to get to my home screens since I use the home screens more often than QuickDesk. So I much prefer the solution of pulling up QuickDesk using doubletap by changing the QuickDesk Double Tap timing parameter to 700 that I mentioned above. There is also a solution for rooted phones that I mentioned here. To each their own, I guess.

Thanks for the reminder about Tasker. I'm going to have to check it out.

I was unaware of this rooted solution, thanks for letting me know. When I first posted my method, I thought it was the best way to deal with the problem (as I had not been able to make it work any other way, and there was no other information at the time). I actually always kind of wanted it to work where single tap went home and double tap opened QuickDesk, but I couldn't configure it that way.. so I tried to justify it to myself, suggesting that I use QuickDesk more.... So as you say "to each there own," I agree.. but I actually prefer your solution more. Thanks.

And yeah, you should really check out Tasker. That app has enabled me to do so much, including saving my battery life tremendously. For instance, my GPS will only turn on when I open up Maps (or other apps that need GPS), and then once I close Maps, GPS will turn off. Also my screen will brighten for web browsing, and then dim for home screens. When my headphones plug in, a menu come up asking if I want to play Pandora, Slacker, or Player Pro. This app will allow you to really take advantage of your phones capabilities.

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh View Post
    I was unaware of this rooted solution, thanks for letting me know. When I first posted my method, I thought it was the best way to deal with the problem (as I had not been able to make it work any other way, and there was no other information at the time). I actually always kind of wanted it to work where single tap went home and double tap opened QuickDesk, but I couldn't configure it that way.. so I tried to justify it to myself, suggesting that I use QuickDesk more.... So as you say "to each there own," I agree.. but I actually prefer your solution more. Thanks.
    Yes well I wish I had thought of the rooted solution and knew about it sooner as well. Fortunately, Faruq Rasid mentioned the solution over on his QuickDesk blog.

And yeah, you should really check out Tasker. That app has enabled me to do so much, including saving my battery life tremendously. For instance, my GPS will only turn on when I open up Maps (or other apps that need GPS), and then once I close Maps, GPS will turn off. Also my screen will brighten for web browsing, and then dim for home screens. When my headphones plug in, a menu come up asking if I want to play Pandora, Slacker, or Player Pro. This app will allow you to really take advantage of your phones capabilities.
    That info on Tasker is very interesting. Your list of Tasker's capabilities includes the exact things I'd like my phone to do. The only other thing I'd want is to have Bluetooth turn on and off at certain times for phone use in my car. I'll be buying Tasker this week and I'm sure will be spending lots of time on my phone figuring out how to do all those things you mentioned. Thanks for your useful post. If you know of any other slick utilities like QuickDesk or Tasker, let me know. Thanks again!

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It seems the best solution to this problem for rooted DroidX users is HomeSmack which was mentioned by ultima over on droidforums.com. WugFresh has a good post there which sums up this utility nicely:

Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh
    This helpful utility gives android users the versatility to assign the single tap action to whichever homescreen application they prefer; alter the functionality of the double tap action to initiate any application on their phone; and for the first time, provides an effortless method for remapping the long search action.

The app-based solution, a utilization of 'Homesmack', not only offers users with more capabilities and customization than any other method suggested in this thread (yes, I know that includes my own), but it does so in manner which conceals all the backend system manipulations, and instead, presents the user with a simple graphical interface to make their selections.

If this description didn't already convince you, Homesmack is available for FREE! The developer should really consider submiting a "donate version" to the market as well; I have a feeling that I'm not the only one who thinks (or will think) this app is helpful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads