DROID X - Transfer Contacts
How do I transfer contacts to my new phone?
The best two ways to transfer contacts to your DROIDx are to use Verizon Backup Assist to backup and sync contacts or to export a CSV file from your other program's contact lists to use to import into Google / Gmail contacts.
You cannot import contacts from an existing MOTOBlur account without using CSV file export.
Click on links below for more information.
- Use Verizon Back-up Assistant
- Use Google / Gmail
- Use a memory card
- Using a Mac
- Import from an existing email provider
You can export your contacts as a Comma Separated Values (.csv) file and then import your contacts into your Gmail account. Here's how:
Tip: Customers that are using an Exchange server, should not have to proceed with the steps below. Once the server settings are entered Outlook contacts and email should automatically be transferred to your device. Contact your IT Administrator for more information.
You can also check out our contact transfer site for more detailed instructions.
Copy Contacts from your Old Phone to Microsoft Outlook
Copy contacts from your non Android Motorola phone to Microsoft Outlook using Motorola Phone Tools:
- Click here to make sure your non Android Motorola phone is compatible with MPT.
- In Microsoft Outlook, create a subfolder under 'Contacts' called 'Mobile Phone' .
- Launch Motorola Phone Tools (MPT).
- Click Phonebook. You will see a two-pane contacts view, with the PC contacts displayed on the left side and mobile phone memory contacts displayed on the right.
- From the PC Contacts pane, select the 'Mobile Phone' folder from the drop-down menu.
- From the Phone Contacts pane, highlight the contacts you wish to copy and click the 'Phone to PC' icon in the middle of the two panes.
- After a few seconds you should see these same contact names in red under PC Contacts pane.
- Click on Apply Changes to save these new contacts to your PC.
- Select File > Exit to close the Phonebook Manager.
- Exit MPT and disconnected your old phone.
- Copy contacts from your Windows Mobile phone such as Motorola Q series Phone to Outlook:
Regardless of the method you choose, once your contacts are in CSV format follow the steps below to sync to your handset:
Step 1: Import Contacts into Google Gmail:
- Log on to Gmail with your computer, and then click Contacts link in Gmail.
- Contact list appears
- Click on Import link
- Click Browse, and then navigate to the .csv file that you created from your other contact list
- Select the file, and then click Import
- After your contacts are imported, a dialog box appears and displays the total number of contacts imported
Step 2: Sync to your phone:
- Open Applications tray, select My Accounts
- Touch Gmail account
- Make sure Sync contacts is checked green
- Press Menu hard key.
- Select Sync Now
- Your phone will now sync and transfer your contacts from Gmail to your phone. Click here for FAQ on Google sync.
- Your contact and email information is automatically backed up to the Gmail server.
- If you have an active Verizon Backup Assistant account on the DROIDx handset, new contacts will also be backed up to VBA account automatically.
- Imported contacts from Verizon Backup Assistant will not be backed up to Gmail.
- Contacts imported through Gmail and not backed up to Verizon Back-up Assist.
- Outlook distribution lists are not imported. Gmail does not support distribution lists.
- If an Outlook Contact that matches an existing Gmail contact is imported, your Outlook Contact information replaces the Gmail contact.
- If your names or numbers are not appearing in the proper location on your phone, it is recommended that you attempt to export your contacts again, and re-import into Gmail.
Where Ever You Go, There You Are
07-15-2010 01:09 AM
Droid X Forums
I converted all of the Contacts to a .csv file, uploaded that file to Gmail and synced my new DroidX to Gmail. Twenty minutes later - voila !! All of the Contacts are indeed available on the DroidX, just as advertised.
But here's the problem: I keep extensive information in the NOTES section of Outlook Contacts. All of the names, addresses, phone numbers, emails, etc. are all on the DroidX. But ALL of the Notes from Outlook are truncated at 4 lines max.
I can't be the only person who uses Notes in Outlook Contact to keep a wide variety of unclassifiable information that should be available at my fingertips in my new DroidX. FYI, I have over 2500 Contacts, so entering them by hand into a third-party app (as was suggested to me by a Motorola tech on the phone a few minutes ago) is not going to work.
Anyone out there know a work-around or app that will do the trick?
Otherwise, love the DX, so far (have only had it a few hours). But if I can't find a way to solve the problem above, it's going back to Verizon tomorrow and I'm going back to my MotoQ.
One last item: I do not need the functionality of editing Contacts or Notes on the DroidX and then syncing it with Outlook on my office Desktop. I will only make changes on the office computer and then sync it up to Gmail.
I have tried all of the suggestions. I still cannot transfer from gmail to my Droid X contact list. Any further suggestions? Thank you.
Highly recommend Google Contacts over BackUp Assistant, so all contacts are in one place! Posted some basic steps to do this here:
Migrating contacts from "Phone" (BackUp Assistant), to Google Contacts
Again, thanks for the info!
--might find some interesting stuff, including misc. DroidX and Android stuff at my site: http://www.sephtin.com