DROID X - Back-up Assistant (Verizon)

This is a discussion on DROID X - Back-up Assistant (Verizon) within the Droid X FAQs forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; How do I use Verizon Wireless' Backup Assistant Application to transfer contacts to and from my DROIDx? You can easily transfer your existing Verizon handset's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JimMariner

Thread: DROID X - Back-up Assistant (Verizon)

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times

DROID X - Back-up Assistant (Verizon)

How do I use Verizon Wireless' Backup Assistant Application to transfer contacts to and from my DROIDx?

You can easily transfer your existing Verizon handset's phonebook contacts from a previous Verizon phone over to your Motorola DROIDx with the Verizon Back-Up Assistant application (VBA).
    When you first power on the handset, your handset will either ask you to set-up a new account or to log in using your existing Verizon Backup Assist account pin. (You can skip this step and come back to it later using the My Accounts application or the Backup Assistant application directly).

For existing accounts: Simply enter your Verizon Backup Assist pin code to sync existing account contacts from another Verizon phone with your DROIDx.
    Handset will advise of successful login and begin to sync contacts to DROIDx. It will announce when sync is completed.

For new Account set up, you will be presented with a Backup Assistant splash screen
    This sequence is followed by the Account set-up screen (for all other accounts)

Click on Forgot Pin to have the handset check with Verizon's servers and provide your pincode.

Backup Assist is a great application to use especially if you have existing information from other Verizon phones. With the DROIDx application, you simply need to just complete the sign in process described above and the handset will sync contact information back and forth with Backup Assist automatically (you can manage VBA sync schedules).

Any contact you create using the handset gets saves as a "Phone" contact on the DROIDx and will now be sync'd back to Verizon Back-up Assistant. You can access you call lists online with the Verizon Backup Assist utility for your computer we describe below.

You can use the online version of Backup Assist to import contact files (CSV) from other programs so that your phone can easily have the most complete phonebook between all your devices.

Clicking on Backup Assistant online will forward you to their online help page. Visit the Verizon Wireless' Backup Assist FAQ below for detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures to help guide you through the process of obtaining and using the application on your computer.
    https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com...erview_def.jsp

Link to Verizon help center for copy of Verizon Backup Assist manual (https://mediaimages.vzw.com/scm/b/2033494_userGuide.pdf)

You can use the online version of Verizon Backup Assist to import CSV contact files from other email programs such as Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, or Hotmail.

Create a CSV file with the email program (Yahoo, Outlook, Hotmail) you wish to import into Backup Assist. You can click here for help making CSV files from programs other than Backup Assist using your home computer

Connect to Verizon Backup Assist online with a home computer through your Verizon account. www.verizonwireless.com
    • Find "My Verizon" link and log into Personal Account with your ID and password. (you may need to create this if using for first time).
    • You will land on a My Verizon page that lists your account and handset information.
    • Select "Contacts" icon from list of icons under "My Verizon Wireless" banner. (Backup Assistant application also found under "My Services" selection at top of page).
    • A small view of your contacts will be listed. Click on "View Contacts" the middle of the page to view Backup Assist page.

To import the CSV file you created, click on import contacts link on right.

An Import contacts menu will appear.
    Select "Outlook CSV File".

Click Browse to search for and select the CSV file on your computer you created from your other contacts.
    Click on Import and follow instructions until CSV file is imported into Backup Assist.

Backup Assist will sync those contacts with your DROIDx phonebook.

To export Verizon Backup Assist contacts to a CSV file, follow instructions below.

Connect to Verizon Backup Assist online with a home computer through your Verizon account. www.verizonwireless.com
    • Find "My Verizon" link and log into Personal Account with your ID and password. (you may need to create this if using for first time).
    • You will land on a My Verizon page that lists your account and handset information.
    • Select "Contacts" icon from list of icons under "My Verizon Wireless" banner. (Backup Assistant application also found under "My Services" selection at top of page).
    • A small view of your contacts will be listed. Click on "View Contacts" the middle of the page to view Backup Assist page.

You will need to adjust the view of your Backup Assistant contacts on your computer to select all of them at once to export into a CSV file.

Select the circled icons to change view to "List" view of your contacts. Click on "Select all" if you want to export all your contacts. You can also check/uncheck them individually.

Click on gear icon to access settings. Select "Export Contacts"

Select "CSV (Outlook)", select OK.
    Backup Assist will pull up a separate "Save file" window so that you can adjust the save location of your exported CSV file on your computer. (**Some users have reported issues getting save file window using Mozilla Firefox browser instead of Internet Explorer, if you do not get save window, log in and try again with Internet Explorer browser).
    Save CSV file.
    Done. You can save the Verizon Backup Assist CSV file for backup on your computer or import it into another program like Gmail or Hotmail.

Source
    Joe and TV1 like this.
    Where Ever You Go, There You Are

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Problem with Backup Assistant

If you have a contact with a custom label for your mobile numbers of Mobile 1 or Mobile 2, and sync to Backup Assistant...no phone numbers show for the contact when you are logged into Backup Assistant online. Can't get them to port over to GMail either...since when you use Backup Assistant to create the csv file to import on GMail...the no phone number issue travels...doesn't show or get created in the CSV and doesn't end up on the GMail side either. No way on the Droid X I'm told to create a CSV file on your SD Card from your phone contacts to get them imported into GMail that way without the loss of Mobile 1 and Mobile 2 phone number entries that Backup Assistant seems to not be able to handle. A Contact with a standard label of Mobile will in fact sync up and show in Backup Assistant...just not a custom label. Currently, there's no apparent way for me to easily get my 300 contacts off of my phone contacts side over to the Google side and have the phone numbers show up in GMail Contacts. Maybe Froyo will help or Verizon Wireless will enhance the Backup Assistant software to have labels like GMail does where you can create a custom label of Mobile 1 and it will in fact sync into Backup Assistant with that label...and you could change the label in Backup Assistant and have it sync to the phone changing the label on the phone from Mobile to Mobile 1.

X Operative
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Oh goodie, I get to manually enter in all the alternate phone numbers???????????

X Lurker Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Depending on what your old phone is, you could possibly use Bit Pim to export your contacts from your old phone. You could then import them into Google and Droid X will sync with that just fine.

X Lurker Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMariner View Post
    How do I use Verizon Wireless' Backup Assistant Application to transfer contacts to and from my DROIDx?

Any contact you create using the handset gets saves as a "Phone" contact on the DROIDx and will now be sync'd back to Verizon Back-up Assistant.
    This sounds pretty scary to me. This will smurf up the whole GMAIL / Android contact synchronization will it not? If Im reading this correct turning on Backup assistant will cause new contacts added to the phone to not sync with Google contacts. (which is very bad for me)

If this is right; I assume that simply not activating Backup assistant will prevent this from happening and allow Gmail contacts and phone contacts to live in harmony they way they were designed?

X Operative Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cwrig View Post
    This sounds pretty scary to me. This will smurf up the whole GMAIL / Android contact synchronization will it not? If Im reading this correct turning on Backup assistant will cause new contacts added to the phone to not sync with Google contacts. (which is very bad for me)

If this is right; I assume that simply not activating Backup assistant will prevent this from happening and allow Gmail contacts and phone contacts to live in harmony they way they were designed?
    It appears that the initial load of contacts from Backup assistant does not propagate to google. However, any added contacts after that sync with google just fine even while Backup assistant is running.
    Last edited by garath; 09-13-2010 at 05:14 PM.

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Grew up in a small mine outside of Pittsburgh, PA, now living in NC.
    Liked
    8 times
    I completely bypassed BUA... one of the primary reasons I switched to gmail years ago was b/c of the ease of contact syncing... every time I got a new computer or upgraded or whatever. It WAS a nice feature YEARS ago, but imho it's obsolete now.
    Scott
    USMC Ret.

"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    "To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."

X Lurker Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkUSMCRet View Post
    I completely bypassed BUA... one of the primary reasons I switched to gmail years ago was b/c of the ease of contact syncing... every time I got a new computer or upgraded or whatever. It WAS a nice feature YEARS ago, but imho it's obsolete now.
    I agree. The Google contact syncing works so well; I see no reason to use backup assistant at all.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads