Data Charges

This is a discussion on Data Charges within the Droid X FAQs forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Can I purchase a used DX and still use it whether or not I carry unlimited data? Are there data charges when using WiFi? I ...

Thread: Data Charges

X Lurker
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Data Charges

Can I purchase a used DX and still use it whether or not I carry unlimited data? Are there data charges when using WiFi? I want the phone, just not a higher monthly bill.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    You can use the DX as WiFi only, if you activate it and get a phone number for it, they will want you to pay for the data as well, don't think there is a voice only plan for smart phones.

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    727 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macpro88 View Post
    You can use the DX as WiFi only, if you activate it and get a phone number for it, they will want you to pay for the data as well, don't think there is a voice only plan for smart phones.
    Not with Verizon or the DeathStar. They require a data plan for all smartphones and Crackberries.
    "I stopped reading dystopic novels a long time ago. If I want bleakness and despair, I can look at my checkbook." - Solomon Short

"Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings / Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me, you can't see a thing / Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream
    Master / Master
    " - Metallica

DX Forums "Guidelines of Conduct"

X Lurker
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If your Droid X is a Verizon phone (and not a prepaid Verizon phone), look into Page Plus Cellular (I did).

They actually use surplus capacity on Verizon's network, so you have pretty much the best network in terms of making calls. They are the only supplier I have found to date that will activate your smartphone without an expensive data plan. But you HAVE TO know what you are doing so that you do not wind up with a ridiculously expensive cell phone bill!

Officially, Page Plus only "supports" a limited number of phones. But the reality is that most any CDMA Verizon non-prepaid, non 4G phone works just fine on their network. Blackberry devices may or may not work without some additional fiddling/programming.

Page Plus is a prepaid cellular provider, no contracts. You can buy "time" cards that provide only talk time (may provide text as well, don't remember off the top of my head). But, the time (money) left on your prepaid card can be drained by your use of the 3G network at a cost of $1.20 per MB! So, with the Droid X, you need to make sure your settings are turned to "Data Enabled" NOT ENABLED. I also keep my phone in Airplane mode as an additional safeguard, but go in and turn WiFi on when I want to connect to the internet and am near a WiFi network (like, in my house!). I also have Background Data turned off as well. Just trying to cover my butt in case some app can/tries to override my disabling of 3G data access.

Now, I plan on signing up for Page Plus' 1200 TnT package for $29.99 a month, which gives me 1200 minutes of talk time, 3000 text messages, and 100 MB of data. Data overages on this plan cost much less than $1.20 per MB, but I really don't plan on using the data at all except in case of emergencies. I just like having that 100 MB safeguard in case I get some sort of data leak rather than paying that $1.20 per MB on just the money card. Otherwise, if you feel that your 3G access can be "permanently" disabled, and you don't make a ton of calls or texts, Page Plus' $80 card for 2000 minutes that lasts for a full year might be the cheapest/best plan to have your Droid X smartphone on.

Until I know more about the Droid X, I just fear that some app will access the 3G and I don't want any $1.20/MB surprises, so I'll play it safe with the $29.99 plan. I have activated my Droid X on Page Plus (via Kitty Wireless). Kitty gives you a $2 credit good for 15 minutes of talk time so you can make sure your phone works OK on their network. Mine does, and I've been happily downloading apps and playing around with the phone with NO data plan!

You are not charged for data when using WiFi...but unless you turn off your 3G data in the Settings, I don't know that you can guarantee that your phone will use WiFi over an available 3G signal. And some apps (I've heard Google Maps, or various apps that use "background data") access the 3G network directly without you knowing it (or thinking you are using it), so don't think you are safe by simply turning off 3G when you are going to log onto the internet. Make sure it is turned off full time, all the time. And until I know more, I'm not going to feel real secure that even that is safe and there isn't an unknown 3G backdoor somewhere.
    Last edited by purplepat; 12-18-2011 at 12:23 PM.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 17.3%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Nice find
    I wondered about this

Why they ask? , because I can!

Remove Ads

Ads