Froyo vs. Gingerbread

This is a discussion on Froyo vs. Gingerbread within the Droid X FAQs forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Im rooted with froyo 2.2.1 and I have really never had any problems.I froze my system update awhile ago before the root was possible for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Froyo vs. Gingerbread

X Lurker
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Froyo vs. Gingerbread

Im rooted with froyo 2.2.1 and I have really never had any problems.I froze my system update awhile ago before the root was possible for gingerbread. Can someone give me the skinny ie. Pros and cons of gingerbread before I update

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

While some people have reported good luck with gingerbread on droid x, others, including myself, wish we never tried it. keep in mind, that VZ has cancelled the ability to upgrade from froyo to gingerbread on the DX, and its not available on the DX2 either.

plus: hmm... I can automatically send a text message to someone when I hit the ignore on an inbound call.. my wireless tethering SEEMS to be active (without root, without paying VZ).

I get less sales calls (actually, I get less calls. and emails, and texts'. ) all of the radio's seem borked.. I have to reset in between each time to use gps. i have to actively connect to my office/and home wifi now.
    25% less battery power, 25% less wifi range, 25% less 3g range.. I make 25% more mistakes on the kwybrd.[sic]. and it takes 25% more ram to run.

25% more bloatware from VZ. and you can't root it once its installed.

those are all the pluses I know about.

I am, in fact, not even going to try to do a wipe/factory install.

RS Team Leader
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 12.4%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    I had good luck with Gingerbread. If you do decide to update, use the two part prerooted install after an SBF. This will lay a clean foundation for Gingerbread and help minimize any issues you might have down the road. I thought it was very smooth and more responsive than Froyo, didn't seem to lag as much. The stock theme also was revamped with blue accents and a few more customizations.

You also have a third option, CM7, which is installed directly from Froyo.

X Operative
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 1.9%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scheidell View Post
    keep in mind, that VZ has cancelled the ability to upgrade from froyo to gingerbread on the DX,
    This is not true statement number 1. I noticed a guy I work with in another building had the X and was on Froyo, told him about GB. He pulled it, installed it and loves it. This was just the other day. It was not been "cancelled"

and its not available on the DX2 either.
    That doesn't mean anything. It's a different phone. And it's newer. They generally go in order of the phones release. The X2 is irrelevant.

25% more bloatware from VZ. and you can't root it once its installed.
    What is this 25% more bloat? I must have missed something. Only thing I recall (it's been MONTHS) is the downloads folder and a few other folders I actually find nice.

I am, in fact, not even going to try to do a wipe/factory install.
    Well there's your problem. Rather than take initiative and try to FIX what you are complaining about, you're more content to sit here and tell others not to update. Bravo.

This post has been bothering me for some time. I just wanted to make sure GB was still "out in the wild" before replying.

X Operative
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Gingerbread is still kid of new, so a lot more problems might occur... But I still give credit to those developers.

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 5.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by popcenator View Post

You also have a third option, CM7, which is installed directly from Froyo.
    +1 and now with MIUI I have, at this point in time, no desire at all to return to Froyo or Gingerbread...2nd init and not looking back.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

happy with gb

just installed gb several days ago (sbf to froyo, droid 2 bootstrapper to rooted gb install in recovery) and am very happy so far. i came from apex 1.3.1, which i left when newer apps updated from the market started to conflict.

battery life has improved significantly. things are quite fast for me so far. and everything (wifi, gps, bluetooth) just works.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I loved Froyo as well but I dont see any reason to wait...I'm on rooted GB now and really like it. Updated appearance like the clock/antenna are nice and the speed is def improved. I like how the animations are a little smoother (like when changing desktop screens).

Titanium takes care of the bloat and Z4 to root. Adjbrightness app to turn off the bright physical buttons

complaints are minor....I liked the old appearance of the contact list in Froyo and I dont like how text messaging has a white background in GB

1st post!

Super Mod Team Lead
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Member #
    Liked
    716 times
    Just looked into Adjbrightness and it seems to be hit or miss on the DX.

"I stopped reading dystopic novels a long time ago. If I want bleakness and despair, I can look at my checkbook." - Solomon Short

"Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings / Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me, you can't see a thing / Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream
    Master / Master
    " - Metallica

DX Forums "Guidelines of Conduct"

X Lurker
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've used both and I got to say I think I honestly prefer FroYo with the Liberty 2.0.1 and Juiced Gingercomb. It's so clean looking and fast it's unreal. If these phones came like this stock they would be iphone killers not just in function but in sales.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads