How to Deal with a Droid thats Gotten Wet–THE RIGHT WAY

This is a discussion on How to Deal with a Droid thats Gotten Wet–THE RIGHT WAY within the Droid X FAQs forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Thanks for the fuller explanation of how the alcohol works. I actually read this thread a long time ago and never had any use for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How to Deal with a Droid thats Gotten Wet–THE RIGHT WAY

Agent X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Thanks for the fuller explanation of how the alcohol works. I actually read this thread a long time ago and never had any use for it until Thanksgiving day when my X had a pitcher of water dumped on it. I immediately took out the battery and manually dried it. The water sensor was unchanged so I did try restarting it but the More logo faded out so I quickly removed the battery again. It was going to be close onto 24hrs before I could get the alcohol so I debated redousing the device after it had been air drying for so long so I decided to just keep drying. I bought the silica dessicant and immersed it into it with a sock to cover. I gave it 36hrs, and then another 12hrs to air dry. The phone has booted up. No evident screen damage. Phone seemed fussy but a few reboots and a cache wipe and it seems back to normal. Battery charged up normally. Thanks for this helpful thread!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Okay...so I did a stupid thing. I hit the screen with a little Windex and it had a little spot on it as if the Windex got under the screen. This morning, the 'spot' spread over almost the entire screen. IS this permanent? Kicking myself!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JRzMom View Post
    Okay...so I did a stupid thing. I hit the screen with a little Windex and it had a little spot on it as if the Windex got under the screen. This morning, the 'spot' spread over almost the entire screen. IS this permanent? Kicking myself!
    Not sure if its permanent, but you could always try placing the phone is a bag of rice for a day or two and see if the moisture gets pulled out. Make sure to take out the battery first.

DroidXForums Guidelines of Conduct
    Show Your Support and Become a Supporting Member Today!

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

X Lurker
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I would hold the phone up at an angle to the light and look for scratches or imperfections on the screen in the vicinity of the "spot", because for the Windex to affect your screen like that, I'd have to think it somehow got under or in the screen. Was this "spot" along the edge of your screen or more towards the center? If this is happening somewhere other than the edge, you could try to apply a gentle suction to the area if you found a scratch that the Windex may have penetrated. Think along the lines auto glass repair. Just keep in mind your screen is not a strong as a windshield. Very Very gentle suction. See if it makes a difference in appearance of said "spot". If so, your screen is more then likely shot. Depending on the phone and age and condition, it may be cheaper to get a replacement, but screens can be bought on ebay for very reasonable prices these days. There are tons of instructionals out there including videos that explain it pretty well.

X Informant
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 6.1%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So when I take my DROID out drinking I should order it everclear? Jk. But I have saved an lg chocolate this way. Only problem was it softened the glue holding the screen bezel on. Put a rubber band around it with just enough paper towel under it to hold it in place. Btw in commercial pcb plants they use basically a dish washer to clean the flux off.

X Informant Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Just wanted to chime in and say that this is extremely helpful. Honestly, this forum (and others) would do well to pin it in hopes that folks will see it BEFORE they have an accident, so if/when they do, they'll know how to respond. I'll be linking to this thread in a post I just made at Rootz.

I think someone needs to point out something important here...

Ethanol and Isopropanol are both solvents that will affect some epoxies.

The printed circuit board(s) in your phone are made of fibre glass and epoxy. There are also must likely multiple other uses of epoxies in the phone (i.e. Supporting ports, locking a small heatsink in place).
    It should also be noted that both ethanol and isopropanol are both capable of damaging some plastics, of which your phone is primarily composed.

Submerging electronics in rubbing alcohol is an incredibly bad idea. Even it will most likely work when you're done, you also may have just embrittled various components of your phone and significantly shortened it's life.

Water does not damage electronics in the short term is there is no power present. I can't see any possible reason to risk destroying your device with rubbing alcohol when simply using a desiccant is faster and safer.

TL;DR: What you're suggesting consists of replacing a non-harmful substance (water) with a likely harmful substance (rubbing alcohol) then waiting the same amount of time for it to dry. Not only is this not the "right" way to do this, it is, in fact, a horrible idea. Pull the battery, bag it with some desiccant, let it dry. Adding rubbing alcohol is unnecessary and likely harmful.
    Last edited by asdfasdfasdf; 07-25-2012 at 02:40 AM.

X Informant
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Did this method and it worked great except...

Hi, on Friday my beloved 2 year old phone went swimming. Pulled the battery instantly, had tears, and then I made it 3 hours before I had to go get another phone. I love my X so I thought I would donate it to my man who is still carrying a *gasp* clamshell.

I knew I did not have anything to lose, all indicators are flaming red, so I did the alcohol bath instructions and let it dry from Friday til right this minute. It booted and everything is running very well!

However, there's apparently some residue inside the screen, mildy discolored, kinda smoky, though the entire screen is intact and visible. Anyone else have this? Don't know if I should repeat the process, or carry it to a phone repair place and have them dissemble it and clean it out?

Suggestions please?
    A little bit funny, a little bit geeky, a little bit techie - currently dressed in MIUI

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyred View Post
    Hi, on Friday my beloved 2 year old phone went swimming. Pulled the battery instantly, had tears, and then I made it 3 hours before I had to go get another phone. I love my X so I thought I would donate it to my man who is still carrying a *gasp* clamshell.

I knew I did not have anything to lose, all indicators are flaming red, so I did the alcohol bath instructions and let it dry from Friday til right this minute. It booted and everything is running very well!

However, there's apparently some residue inside the screen, mildy discolored, kinda smoky, though the entire screen is intact and visible. Anyone else have this? Don't know if I should repeat the process, or carry it to a phone repair place and have them dissemble it and clean it out?

Suggestions please?
    Check youtube for video guides on screen replacement for dx. You can try to remove the possible residue yourselves. Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    onlyred likes this.
    "FEZ aims to create a non-threatening world rich with ambiance,

a pleasant place to spend time in."

X Informant
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fezrock View Post
    Check youtube for video guides on screen replacement for dx. You can try to remove the possible residue yourselves. Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    Thanks Fez! Just looked at a couple videos and I'm pretty sure I can handle it, just need to pick up some tools. Much appreciated, and I'll report back with whatever I did
    A little bit funny, a little bit geeky, a little bit techie - currently dressed in MIUI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads