How to Deal with a Droid thats Gotten Wet–THE RIGHT WAY

This is a discussion on How to Deal with a Droid thats Gotten Wet–THE RIGHT WAY within the Droid X FAQs forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; just another tip...for drying i place mine under or on top of my cable box with a towel over it....the low heat generated from the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How to Deal with a Droid thats Gotten Wet–THE RIGHT WAY

X Lurker
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    just another tip...for drying i place mine under or on top of my cable box with a towel over it....the low heat generated from the cable box is perfect for drying the moisture....i did it once with a blackberry storm i dropped in a stream awhile back, worked perfectly afterwards.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Take out battery, and place face down on middle rack of gas oven (that is off) overnight. Warm, dry enclosed space (via pilot light) has dried out many a phone or keyboard for me.

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jedge View Post
    Thorough, well thought out advice.
    though it could have been about 1/2 as long without the snarky comments.
    Great walk through on the proper way to try to save your phone from a watery grave. And I personly enjoyed the "snarky comments". Some people just don't get it any other way and the ones who do can just laugh at the humor in the comments. Just my 2cents.

X Informant Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've had this work for me also. These are good tips.

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I tried this method and it brought my phone back from the brink but be warned, my screen is now permanently blotchy. It looks like that old simpsons episode where homer tries to gain weight and only eats greasy foods that turn a white paper towel clear when you rub the food on it.

In other words, when the market is loading and you see all white, I see splotches of gray, and it gets way worse if I am tilting the phone at an angle.

The GOOD news is, the red strips that indicate water damage have not been triggered so I am hoping to get a replacement either from motorola or verizon (I've only had the phone for three to four months). Any suggestions on how to go about that? The strips might not be triggered but the screen itself looks like there was some kind of liquid damage.

Any thoughts at this point would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyone? Has anyone ever replaced a phone or a screen before?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Operative
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Pull battery imediatly put phone and battery in bowl of dry rice for 24 hours atleast. Rice sucks all moisture out if phone and battery just like one of those moisture things in motherboard packages.

rubix blurry gb

X Conveyor Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Do not, for the love of God, try using direct heat to dry out the phone faster. Hair dryer, heat gun, waving a soldering iron over it...that sort of thing.

Yes, I've seen that happen. It was funny to see the keyboard of a BlackBerry melted.

Advocate X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 31.6%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    454 times
    But it fits so perfectly in the toaster.

{{ WugFresh }}
    devdroid and inuyasha.rules like this.
    Easy method for SBF'ing your phone back to stock
    + SBFboot - the easy way to sbf
    Best ways to improve your phones overall performance:
    + How To Optimize Battery Life & Speed
    Wireless tethering on GB simplified
    + WugPacked GB Tether Patch [All-In-One Zips]
    Other helpful resources:
    + Deodexing Explained + How To
    + [One Stop] Rom Goodies, Extras, Mods & More

..:: Follow me on Twitter and Google+::..

X Lurker
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    NO, I DON’T NEED YOUR STORY ABOUT HOW RICE SAVED YOUR LIFE. I DON’T CARE THAT SOME COINCIDENCE HELPED. THIS IS THE PROPER PROCEDURE. LIVE WITH IT.
    I guess no one ever fully digests what they read anymore... that or they never fully read anything anymore. Too many people in a hurry to throw in 2 cents of advice to cause $200+ in damage instead of spending 20 minutes trying to critically think...

Quote Originally Posted by d3vilfish View Post
    Pull battery imediatly put phone and battery in bowl of dry rice for 24 hours atleast. Rice sucks all moisture out if phone and battery just like one of those moisture things in motherboard packages.

rubix blurry gb
    Point made.

So, having been in the electronics industry (officially) for 15 years and counting, I have to say that I have experimented with nearly every possible method of recovery. Mostly in part to having spent many of those years on a submarine and dealing with seawater getting on and in electronic components. I can vouch for the alcohol flush method. Rice doesn't 'draw' anything other than what it absorbs due to direct contact with the air immediately around it. Think; DIRECT CONTACT. Burrying your phone in a rice bowl with no circulation is the equivelant of insulating your phone and possibly locking some of the condensate inside it. If it 'worked' for you, then your phone was not in imminent danger to begin with. Direct heat can be as bad because of the insulating effect inside your phone when you heat up some items inside it that are more thermally conductive than the materials around it. This could lead to desoldering compent level solder joints, expansion crack in solder joins, expansion cracks in the PCB and traces on it, etc... Oh, yeah, and melting of course :P

All of this, however, still doesn't even cover the actual issue. Water doesn't short out an electrical circuit. Water is nonconductive. The impurities in the water are conductive, and they are what cause the errant flow of electrons. If it actually fully penatrated far enough into your phone to short between to contact points, then it is likely that as it evaporates it will leave a path of impurities between the traces on any circuitry. To get a good idea of how this looks: take a clear water glass, fill it aboout 1/4 inch high with water from your tap, leave it outside in the sun all day, and observe the white crud left behind. So, unless your rice has scrubbing bubbles to take care of the clean up, it didn't actually 'do' anything other than absorb moisture out of the air... not necessarily your phone. If anything, this is most likely a placebo effect. Alcohol will displace, remove, and retreat. Nothing else, other than disassembling your phone to clean it at a component level, can do all three things required to ensure the the integrity of it. Even then, it doesn't matter how clean you get the bugger if it already fried at initial contact.
    kwest12 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads