Rooting/Launcher/Rom difference.

This is a discussion on Rooting/Launcher/Rom difference. within the Droid X FAQs forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hello everyone! I've just ordered my Droid X, and can't wait to get it, I'm really excited about the customization options I've seen on here. ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rooting/Launcher/Rom difference.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Rooting/Launcher/Rom difference.

Hello everyone!

I've just ordered my Droid X, and can't wait to get it, I'm really excited about the customization options I've seen on here.

Basically, I'm wondering about the differences between rooting/launchers/and roms, and how they interact.
    From what I understand, rooting the phone will cancel any warranty I may have, so I won't likely be doing that for some time.
    Launchers(ADW,etc) seem to be what I'd be most interested in, as far as customizing the way the phone looks and functions (interested in custom themes/backgrounds/icons and the like). I'm still not sure about all the features or what else a launcher is good for. Also, if I would need to root my phone to use a launcher in the first place. I'm still not sure on what a rom consists of.

I've searched for information on installing launchers, but I can't find anything in the hack sections or otherwise, it's all technical speak and info about rooting. The website for ADW launcher appears to be a couple years out of date and has no information other than a file to download.

Anyone mind pointing me in the right direction?
    Thanks!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 1.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Wide open a ton of stuff to cover.. Here's the quick and ugly...

Rooting: Gaining super-user access.. Typically done for flashing a custom rom which is essentially a hopped up version of the OS on the phone. Or other goodies like flashable themes, changing system fonts, overclocking, undervolting, etc.. Basically (not your everyday user) tweaks. Great threads in here on that topic.

ROM: See above.. Hopped up version of the op system on the phone for a purpose.. usually performance, theme changes, getting rid of bloatware, etc.. or all the above. Great threads in here on that topic.

Launchers: That you can do as soon as you get your phone.. Check out ADW.Launcher and Launcherpro Plus (the two most widespread), but there are a BUNCH of launchers out there.. It's basically the User Interface.. The home screen UI. It's just an app.. Nothing special except when selected with "default" checked, it will always go to that launcher when you hit home key. That's easily fixed.. You can swap around launchers to see which you like. Root (super-user permissions) Not required. Great threads in here on that topic.

Welcome and word to the wise.. Don't bother with rooting until you've gotten used to your phone and well read on the subjects of rooting and flashing roms and it's something you really want to do. I got mine in November and was happy as a lark until March when I finally rooted, because at that time I had read enough to understand what it involves. You can find yourself stairing at a motorola logo or boot logo without it booting up pretty quick, rendering the phone useless unless you figure out what you must do from help in here. Save that for when you know what to do.. by Reading.

Fairly soon, you're going to get Gingerbread on your DX by OTA (over the air) update. By itself, it's pretty darn nice, so it may save you from the desire to rom the phone, or bother with "home replacements" which you call "launchers" because the stock UI is pretty cool.
    I need two DX's.. One to try rom's on and one for MIUI because it's THE daily driver for me so I'm not messin' with it.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the info. I guess now I just need to find out where/out to get ADW or Launcherpro and how to install them, like I said I can't find a launcher forum or anything dedicated with the most recent versions.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    384 times
    Also check out a thread from Abe21599 its in the general discussion then new member and site assistance under stickies I believe. Its another good source to get your reading on. Alot of information out there. I'm still newbie myself and learn something new everyday just about. Welcome

Sent from my liberated gingerbread

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    384 times
    The launchers like ADW or launcher pro or go launcher which I use can all be found in the market

Sent from my liberated gingerbread

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Perturabo View Post
    Thanks for the info. I guess now I just need to find out where/out to get ADW or Launcherpro and how to install them, like I said I can't find a launcher forum or anything dedicated with the most recent versions.
    you can find launchers in the market. when you get the phone create a google account, go to market (there will be a shortcut on your home screen).
    enjoy.
    running gingerbread 602 SBF

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ah, they're literally Apps! This I didn't realize. I thought it was going to be something I had to install. Thanks guys.

Agent X
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    yeah you're going to have fun learning your phone. The app market is basically "where your phone goes" to get apps and it tracks what you have downloaded so when a developer updates the app from ver 1.3 to 1.4 hypothetically, you'll get a notification saying there's an update. You're gonna have a blast with your DX. I suggest don't bother with a bunch of "replacement" stuff until you've had time to get to know what's on your phone already. You might decide you have no desire to change it, but give it a chance. If there were no Launcherpro or ADW or rooting, or rom'ing, I'd probably still be happy with the DX and it's stock motoblur launcher. ("Motoblur" is the name of motorola's UI, like "sense" on HTC or "touchwiz" on samsung... It sits ontop of the android OS and it is typically the thing most modified by ROMs).. Think of it like old PC's... Windows used to run ontop of DOS. Motoblur runs ontop of or integrated into Android.

Sorry I'll shut up.. Just remember how I was afraid to turn mine on for the first time.. Wasn't that long ago. It's nice as a newb not so new to help a new newb. LOL!
    I need two DX's.. One to try rom's on and one for MIUI because it's THE daily driver for me so I'm not messin' with it.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads