Moving Apps to SD Card

This is a discussion on Moving Apps to SD Card within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; I thought Froyo was supposed to permit storage of apps on the SD Card. I have several apps that collect data and I want them ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joeyjackpot

Thread: Moving Apps to SD Card

Technician X
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times

Moving Apps to SD Card

I thought Froyo was supposed to permit storage of apps on the SD Card.

I have several apps that collect data and I want them to run from the Card (aCar, TripMaster are two examples). I lost all the collected data when I had to do a factory reset recently. If I need to do this again I want to be sure that my data is stored on the SD card.

The option of moving the app to my SD Card, however, is not functional. The tab selection is darkened and will not function as an active option. Any suggestions?
    "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Technician X
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Upon further evaluation it does appear that I have the ability to transfer some apps to the card but the two I mention above (that I would REALLY like to have on the card) do not give me the option.

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think we are limited by the Apps developer, as to which apps can be moved to SD. If the developer doesn't allow it, then the app can't be moved. More experienced X'ers, correct me if I am wrong on this.

Agent X
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Developers have to update their apps after 2.2's release to offer move to SD.

Also be advised - moving an app to SD and performing a factory reset will not recognize the app as "installed" upon reinsertion of the SD card - from personal experience.
    Troubles installing OTA 2.3.340 Update? Click Here

Technician X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    I understand that the app may not be recognized as installed but when I re-installed it wouldn't my saved data re-populate? I use the aCar app to track my car expenses, maintenance, etc. I was disappointed after the reset that I lost all of the data I had entered. It would not be practical for me to have to keep a separate record that I would have to re-enter everytime a reset became necessary. I was hoping to have the data store on the SD to avoid this.

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjackpot View Post
    Developers have to update their apps after 2.2's release to offer move to SD.

Also be advised - moving an app to SD and performing a factory reset will not recognize the app as "installed" upon reinsertion of the SD card - from personal experience.

Agent X
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    I believe it's better to use a backup program like titanium or mybackup pro for backing up app settings & data in the event of a data wipe - they backup app DATA, not the actual application apk FILES, onto your SD card or onto an online server (in the case of MBP) so that when you wipe, reinstall your apps and reinstall your backup program of choice, you can reload your old app data via the backups on your SD card. I don't know that Move To SD lets you repopulate data after a factory reset - it might - but i'm not 100% sure. I couldn't seem to get it to do so intuitively. I know MPB/titanium are better options for data backup in this scenario
    Last edited by joeyjackpot; 10-06-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    ToeJamm57 likes this.
    Troubles installing OTA 2.3.340 Update? Click Here

Technician X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Thanks Joey - I think that is probably the way I will need to go in future.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjackpot View Post
    I believe it's better to use a backup program like titanium or mybackup pro for backing up app settings & data in the event of a data wipe - they backup app DATA, not the actual application apk FILES, onto your SD card or onto an online server (in the case of MBP) so that when you wipe, reinstall your apps and reinstall your backup program of choice, you can reload your old app data via the backups on your SD card. I don't know that Move To SD lets you repopulate data after a factory reset - it might - but i'm not 100% sure. I couldn't seem to get it to do so intuitively. I know MPB/titanium are better options for data backup in this scenario

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i have liberty 1.0 and liberty dark theme. if i want to change roms or themes i have to go to market and download titainum and clockwork and my rom manager its a pain. how can i transfer these apps to my sd card.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 1.3%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kc2kwr View Post
    i have liberty 1.0 and liberty dark theme. if i want to change roms or themes i have to go to market and download titainum and clockwork and my rom manager its a pain. how can i transfer these apps to my sd card.

like it was said before. Titanium backup will restore all your backup'd apps including rom manager and clockwork. Dev's are the only people who decide if their app is transferable to sd or not. most of the time i have seen it is better to leave the application to the sd because things don't break as much (like my springpad icon on my widget locker, live wallpapers etc.) mainly games are the stuff you would want on your sd card just because they take up so much.

Supported / Loving it. Started off a Gummy user (thanks to Wugfresh and Droid-Xer)

Thanks to Gorgarath for helping me jump start into META-INF

My posts: Hardstyle Biohazard Boot Logo , Video Live Wallpaper recommendation w/ Dragonball z clips , Halo Wars - "Forge is Down" Notification Tone, My First Icon Pack, Goblueboy's Blue Icons!

X Pursuant Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I use acar myself and love it. Titanium is the best bet for backing it up IMO. There is an option in acar to export your info to excel. I had to use this when I changed from an Eris to a DX since the Titanium backup file wouldn't work when changing phones. I'm not sure if that is for "paid" only users but it's worth checking out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Remove Ads

Ads