Real HDMI - Control HDMI Port on your Droid X

This is a discussion on Real HDMI - Control HDMI Port on your Droid X within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; Update 11/13/2010 We have real HDMI back on the market place and plan on trying to leave it up and see how things go. Still ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Real HDMI - Control HDMI Port on your Droid X

X Conveyor Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    122 times

Cool Real HDMI - Control HDMI Port on your Droid X

Update 11/13/2010
    We have real HDMI back on the market place and plan on trying to leave it up and see how things go. Still no official news from Motorola on when ever they are getting around to fixing the LCD display driver https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/38053 that causes bug where the LCD display doesn't enable when HDMI is turned back on. While they haven't specifically addressed the bug (actually have pretty much ignored it) we have determined the bug is the same bug that causes phone to "freeze on M" at boot. They say they have a fix pending for the M freeze which should also fix the HDMI bug. Until then if you are on the 2.2 OTA there is the chance your phone will freeze and require a battery pull. Nothing can be done about it as the bug sites in the mapphone-panel driver in the kernel, and the lockdown on the bootloader means we are twiddling our thumbs until motorola releases a fix.

I have a new developer on board to help with support of app, as I have a day job and can't answer emails all day long. I hope it will allow me to work more on the coding and less on answering emails. This means that there might be a slight price increase on the app as I need to compensate the other dev for his time.

9/27/2010

While I have been trying to manage expectations on the application the enthusiasm of some of the apps supporters seems to have generated some very high expectations from "Joe user" that in some cases has been hard to live up to. Been trying to manage expectations as best as possible by providing documentation, faqs and participating on about a dozen droid x related forums.

Have now put a link in the description of the app on the android marketplace. I hope that perspective buyers will read it before making an informed decision on whether to purchase the application. I have been working very hard to try to not portray the application at something it is not. And the one thing it is not is an application written with the benefit of complete API and hardware specifications for the Droid X phones. It written based on my knowledge of testing, observing and disassembling one or more of my droid X phones. As such the application/solution is always destined to be less then perfect as it has been build from less then perfect information. But with good feedback from users the application is always evolving.

This is the link that I am now including in the app description and hope it provides enough information for folks to decide if the app is important to what they want to accomplish.
    http://bit.ly/99qXDu

Update: 09/25/2010
    Back on MarketPlace for Android 2.2
    Big news is that now EVERYONE can experience the joy of no black bars from youtube, tv.com, nfl app etc. No root required, no special settings, they just don't show up. The bad news is that means that any of the pause/play buttons that would display over the video aren't visable while video is playing. Will try to fix that is next version but for now, pretty pictures for all.

This release is a Froyo Only Version. There are to many differences between how I need to do stuff on 2.1 and 2.2 so for now on going to only be developing this for the 2.2.

REAL HDMI 1.5b (FROYO OTA) on Marketplace
    This version is a major rewrite of the application from the 1.1.3 version that was the last release for Android 2.1

There are numerous security model changes in the new Android 2.2 version for the DroidX which led to the rewrite of the code base. This has led to some fairly major changes in the program but most should not effect its use. In this release the core functionality of the program is intact but some additional features had been removed to speed release of this version. Features that have been removed will hopefully return in the future.

• No Black Bars!!!
      In the 1.1.3 release there where features for rooted phone users to turn off the graphics overlay when watching videos to eliminate display artifacts such as black bars or buttons that would not go away.
      In this version of the user interface overlay is disabled for EVERYONE (root or nonroot) when video is being displayed on the external screen. When the video stops the user controls reappear. In future versions I will hopefully be able to allow root users to reenable it so they can see the interface while video is running.
      In General this is a major step forward for non-rooted phones.
    • Dock Controls
      New Security model in 2.2 does notallow me to simulate dock controls to put phone into dock mode. Am looking into it but until I can find a solution dock controls have been removed from the app as they does not function.
    • "Rooted" Phone Features
      While the options for rooted phones are still visible in the phones menu. They currently does not function. Due to the change listed in #1 this should not effect most rooted phone users. I have just disabled the functions to speed release of this version to users. Special root features should reappear in later versions.
    • ON/OFF Response Time
      Drivers in 2.2 are much more sensitive to timing when turning HDMI ON/OFF on the phone. To keep system from crashing have lengthened out time it takes to turn HDMI ON/OFF. This has been done to increase stability and will be looked into as I move forward to see if I can speed it up.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Real HDMI" is now on the android marketplace for $1.99

NO ROOT REQUIRED - DOES REQUIRE Android 2.2

Finally get control of your HDMI port on your Droid X.

What is Does:
    When HDMI is enabled it sends the output that would normally going to your phone to the HDMI output port. It unfortunatly doesn't allow mirroing of the display. But does let you watch content on your big screen. Ability of content to display properly depends on the ability of the app you are using to scale to large size of TV screen. If uses absolute coordinates for its layout it might not scale properly.

Am going to be putting together a list of what apps work and don't as I get reports from folks.

Quick Help

- Enabling HDMI Output

Hook up your cable to the phone. When connected the “DETECT” button should change to an “ON” button and “HDMI Detected” status should turn to “Yes”.
    If it does not, click on the DETECT button and check your cable and TV Settings.

Once the green button displays “ON” you can click the green button to turn the HDMI output on.

Alternatively you can go to the notification bar, and when it says HDMI = OFF, you can click on the notification icon to turn HDMI ON.

- Disabling HDMI (returning to seeing content on phone)

There are 4 ways to disable HDMI output.
    #1 You can unplug the HDMI Cable
    #2 When Real HDMI application in on the screen on your TV, click appropriate location for red OFF button on the screen.
    #3 With HDMI on, go to notification bar and click on the notification
    #4 Configure Sensor controls to enable bump/tilt/proxmity on/off

- Application Problems

Enabling or Disabling HDMI out while a video is playing can have strange results as the rendering surface size ends up changing mid video. Stop and Start the application and it should be fine.
    Last edited by gman; 11-14-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    bamfsig45, Yump, McDuck and 22 others like this.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    122 times
    FAQ:
    #1 When I enable HDMI output I see video on my TV but the screen on my phone appears frozen?

Unfortunatly at this level of the game when I enable HDMI output all video content is being piped out the HDMI port. The last "frame" or graphic that was displayed prior ot the switch remains on the phone. It might be possible in the future to enable "dual view" but at this point I believe that might require a rooted phone and even then am not sure how to accomplish it yet.

#2 Will this work on the EVO 4G?

Short answer, NO. The EVO uses an entirely different HDMI controller and diffiferent architecture for controlling the HDMI controller and graphic out. They use what appears to be a custom VideoView control as well as permission checks inside the phone. While I have been asked to look into it by the EVO community I don't own an EVO phone so its not my top priority at the moment. But will be looking into it over the next month.

#3 Why is my home screen sideways on the screen?

Well if you think about it your phone's display is 852high by 480 wide. So to display a portrait screen it has to be sidesways on your TV. Why its always portrait regardless of phone position.....I really don't know. Am just enabling output to the HDMI port not controlling how things are rendered.

#4 Why does HDMI out turn off when the Real HDMI application closes?

I have to keep a connection open with the HDMI controller service to keep the display operating. Technically I could shutdown my app and leave it on, but that could leave users in a bad state where they can't get screen back to displayin on the phone. So for now the app watchdogs the service and when the app shuts down it shutsdown HDMI out. In a future version will be going to an APP/Service architecture that will start a HDMI management service in the background. So my graphic control app, widgets or other application can control the HDMI on/off.

#5 Why is my home screen only taking up the center part of the TV?

As I mentioned in #3, I am just enabling the HDMI out not controlling the screen or what is output. Android doesn't really have support for multiple displays, so when the screen switches to a higher resolution display the applicaiton don't receive any kind of notification that they should resize. VideoView and SurfaceViews will render to full size of screen automatically. But most other "views" in applications just don't look for the larger screen so they end up staying with the default. In the future will be posting a short tutorial on how developers can easily take advantage of the larger screen space if they so wish.

#6 The "Dock Buttons" don't seem to do anything on Froyo (2.2)?

There was a change in permission management in Android 2.2, and some interesting behavior changes. This is keeping my app from enabling certain features. Just became aware of it and am looking into a solution. The dock buttons continue to work on 2.1

#7 When Viewing video with Application ____________ the screen has bars or lines on it, why?

Application sometimes use a combination of absolute and relative placement of objects on their applicaiotn screen. Enabling a higher resolution display can cause some interesting problems for applications engineered to assumptions on maximum screen size. This can cause things like the black bars that would normally appear to left and right of a standard def video, to appear in middle of screen on high def tv. This isn't something I can't fix, as its a a manifestation of the screen layout chosen by the application designer.

#8 Applications some times are "less smooth" or "Jittery" when displayed on HDMI out

This is caused by the fact that you are asking the droid x to render a 1280x720 image at 60fps to the tv, when before it was rending 852x480. This puts additional load on the display controller. Am looking into putting together a guide on maximizing display performance when using HDMI out.

#9 Can I output audio only to HDMI and not video? (for music on my stereo)

At the moment its video + audio out at the same time. In theory it is possible to split this up. And am looking into it in the future.

#10 Sometimes while watching a video the HDMI will just turn off?

This can be caused by the sleep settings on your phone. I could be going to sleep or the other possibility is the phone's application manager has killed Real HDMI which shuts down the HDMI. This should be remidied in the near future.

Place holder for application compatibility list:
    Last edited by gman; 08-29-2010 at 11:11 PM.

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hell yes!!!!
    heyandy889 likes this.

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Just bought it, Can't wait to try it out!!! Thanks Gman, the wait is finally over!!

X Lurker Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Love itttttttt
    iYump

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Bought. Thank you.

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Just purchased. Support the devs please! Thanks gman!

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    If you havent already planned on it, Id post here too.

Droid X General Discussions - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

X Informant Achievements:
    500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Way to go gman! Purchased. Keep up the good work brother.
    heyandy889 likes this.

X Conveyor Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    122 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bamfsig45 View Post
    Thanks for suggestion, put a small post over there posting to this post.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads