Navigation

This is a discussion on Navigation within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; Hello, I'm using a Droid x, running a version of miui, with no carrier service. Wifi works fine when available, sometimes cuts off randomly tho. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navigation

X Informant
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0.6%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Navigation

Hello, I'm using a Droid x, running a version of miui, with no carrier service. Wifi works fine when available, sometimes cuts off randomly tho. Now my dilemma is, i need to make a car trip solo, from Fresno,California to Kansas and not having made the trip myself i need directions. I plan to print off a page of directions and some maps, but I'd also like to use my phone to navigate me there, similar to the Google maps method, turn by turn and warnings before turns, etc. I've noticed that if i get directions using Google maps app while I'm connected to wifi, it will keep GPS working even when I'm not getting any connection while driving, haven't really paid attention to how accurate it is tho. I'm curious if there's a way to get an app for navigation/GPS that will work even without a connection or possibly download navigation instructions prior to leaving so it will still navigate without wifi/service? Since this is my only phone and idk how often ill be able to find a wifi connection to check my progress on the way, i want to have all bases covered. Be a real situation if i missed a turn or went the wrong way and didn't know and had no way of checking where I'm at lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dgkamui View Post
    Hello, I'm using a Droid x, running a version of miui, with no carrier service. Wifi works fine when available, sometimes cuts off randomly tho. Now my dilemma is, i need to make a car trip solo, from Fresno,California to Kansas and not having made the trip myself i need directions. I plan to print off a page of directions and some maps, but I'd also like to use my phone to navigate me there, similar to the Google maps method, turn by turn and warnings before turns, etc. I've noticed that if i get directions using Google maps app while I'm connected to wifi, it will keep GPS working even when I'm not getting any connection while driving, haven't really paid attention to how accurate it is tho. I'm curious if there's a way to get an app for navigation/GPS that will work even without a connection or possibly download navigation instructions prior to leaving so it will still navigate without wifi/service? Since this is my only phone and idk how often ill be able to find a wifi connection to check my progress on the way, i want to have all bases covered. Be a real situation if i missed a turn or went the wrong way and didn't know and had no way of checking where I'm at lol.

The issue is getting the GPS atlases, they can download via satellite, WIFI or other data is not required. However the usage of 3G/WIFI allows the usage of aGPS data which expedites the process of getting the GPS atlases.

So it will work; it just depends on how long it takes for GPS atlases to download over satellite. It can take awhile. If you were going to do it and you are also rooted I would also recommend flashing the GPS fixer that's been passed around here that was coded by bobcaruso over @Rootz and I zipped up. It gives a much larger ntp library, also get the gps status app and update your aGPS data. When you are driving have your WIFI on; if you are going through cities it can ping off of local WIFI near you and if its open networks it will download aGPS data as needed.

Relevant link below:
    [ROM] MIUI.us DefX - 2012.2.29 - HDMI Video Out, HijackedBootmenu, Wifi Tether, ...

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    460 times
    There are a few offline Nav apps on the market, most are paid, a couple are free, that do map downloads. One of the downsides is you need to download the maps ahead of time and depending on the area covered and detail needed, you could be talking Gigs of map files and hours of downloads. I tried a few about 6 months ago, including one I got as the amazon freebie of the day, and didn't particularly like any of them. That was 6 months ago, back then Google didn't even do any offline nav, so other things may have changed. Search the market for "offline navigation" or offline maps" and see whats there

Advocate X Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Google Maps Navigation is the best... No issues at all Notta

Travel approx 3,500+ miles per a Month never seen a problem plus finding locations or satellites priceless...

I'm talking anywhere in the States

Its Bubba
    "Stubborn In Your Bones"
    It's Going Along for the Ride...

"Stubborn In You're Bones"

X Informant
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Happen to know names for any of the offline navigation and do they have be turn by turn like Google maps? I'm cool with downloading a bit of data, just want to have navigation for a 24hr drive cross country without wifi or carrier service. Hate to have a hiccup and get stranded lol.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Lol, completely overlooked your reply goose, gonna flash that fix in clockwork right now. So you're saying i can still use Google maps without wifi or carrier? That will save alot of trouble haha.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dgkamui View Post
    Lol, completely overlooked your reply goose, gonna flash that fix in clockwork right now. So you're saying i can still use Google maps without wifi or carrier? That will save alot of trouble haha.

That's the way normal GPS works, yes. They don't have data access and get their atlas info from GPS satellite, so I'd assume its the same with phone GPS. I could test it tomorrow. Or you could turn it on when your bumming around town and make sure. It should work, just take longer to update.

Sent from my unthrottled shadow MIUI v4!

Advocate X Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose306 View Post
    That's the way normal GPS works, yes. They don't have data access and get their atlas info from GPS satellite, so I'd assume its the same with phone GPS. I could test it tomorrow. Or you could turn it on when your bumming around town and make sure. It should work, just take longer to update.

Sent from my unthrottled shadow MIUI v4!
    Goose is correct Google Navigation is all you need
    END OF STORY

Its Bubba
    "Stubborn In Your Bones"
    It's Going Along for the Ride...

"Stubborn In You're Bones"

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 21.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsThree FriendsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    251 times
    I used the Google navigation when I drove to Florida from jersey last year. I had my 2 girls with me so I wanted to make sure I got there safely. I kept it on the entire time! Even had it set to show me gas stations rest stops hotels and restaurants. I got there and back safely!!!

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maybish View Post
    I used the Google navigation when I drove to Florida from jersey last year. I had my 2 girls with me so I wanted to make sure I got there safely. I kept it on the entire time! Even had it set to show me gas stations rest stops hotels and restaurants. I got there and back safely!!!

I have used Google maps and navigation all the time for work, making local deliveries to areas I don't know, as well as trips to visit friends out of state. Even when you lose data signal, it's still managed to track my movement well enough to not get lost lol. I do believe there's a way in which you can download the trip info before you take off, to alleviate data connection issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads