Green Star Notification Spam

This is a discussion on Green Star Notification Spam within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; For the last 3 days now I've been getting spammed in my notification bar on my Droid X. It's showing up as a green star. ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green Star Notification Spam

X Operative
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 5.7%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Green Star Notification Spam

For the last 3 days now I've been getting spammed in my notification bar on my Droid X.

It's showing up as a green star. The messages have been showing up between 5pm and 6pm. I just got 2 messages at 5:09.

They are both clearly spam. The first says "someone Has a Crush on You". Second is "Are You a True JB Fan". If it click, it first takes me to a leadbolt site, then forwards immediately to an addjump site.

I have adaway running, so it's blocking me from getting to the final site with the ad, so I don't know what's there. I guess next time I could disable adaway before I click.

Obviously, it's from an app I updated recently, but I have a ton of apps. I had super stickman golf that updated the other day and there are a few market comments saying they added airpush, but I've since uninstalled it, so I guess either that wasn't it, or it left something behind.

I also already ran the airpush detector and did the permanent airpush optout on the web, then to be sure, I ran the app and the app said I was already opted out. Still getting the spam after that.

How do I find out the culprit and get this nasty thing off my phone?

All help is appreciated.
    Last edited by LexLuthor; 10-27-2011 at 07:22 AM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Did you run this air push? http://market.android.com/details?id...irpushdetector

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

If you think you have bricked your phone... do this.... stop look around say a few curse words then take a deep breath because you haven't we can fix this haha

X Operative
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LexLuthor View Post
    For the last 3 days now I've been getting spammed in my notification bar on my Droid X.It's showing up as a green star. The messages have been showing up between 5pm and 6pm. I just got 2 messages at 5:09. They are both clearly spam. The first says "someone Has a Crush on You". Second is "Are You a True JB Fan".If it click, it first takes me to a leadbolt site, then forwards immediately to an addjump site. I have adaway running, so it's blocking me from getting to the final site with the ad, so I don't know what's there. I guess next time I could disable adaway before I click.Obviously, it's from an app I updated recently, but I have a ton of apps. I had super stickman golf that updated the other day and there are a few market comments saying they added airpush, but I've since uninstalled it, so I guess either that wasn't it, or it left something behind.I also already ran the airpush detector and did the permanent airpush optout on the web, then to be sure, I ran the app and the app said I was already opted out. Still getting the spam after that.How do I find out the culprit and get this nasty thing off my phone?All help is appreciated.
    You might take a look at NetQin. It gives you very detailed info on what apps are installed and what threats they may pose. It might point you to the app in question.

https://market.android.com/details?i...RpdmlydXMyMCJd

X Operative
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cory46 View Post
    Did you run this air push? http://market.android.com/details?id...irpushdetector

Yes, I noted that in my original post. Nothing found with airpush detector and I opted out of airpush after the first time I got this spam.

Quote Originally Posted by corki2 View Post
    You might take a look at NetQin. It gives you very detailed info on what apps are installed and what threats they may pose. It might point you to the app in question.

https://market.android.com/details?i...RpdmlydXMyMCJd
    I gave that a try, but it FCs everytime when it gets to the cloud scanning part of the fast scan. Any ideas?

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm sure that, today around 5pm again, I'm going to get this spam appearing.
    Last edited by LexLuthor; 10-27-2011 at 07:25 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Yeah all I was asking is if you used that one because there are multiple ones

Last edited by cory46; 10-27-2011 at 09:58 PM.

If you think you have bricked your phone... do this.... stop look around say a few curse words then take a deep breath because you haven't we can fix this haha

X Operative
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Someone on another forum mentioned that leadbolt is another adware and that was a link the spam sent me to.

So I searched the market for "leadbolt" and found this app.
    https://market.android.com/details?i...addonsdetector

It's really bad as it takes forever for me to scroll through the list.

But, I did see one app listed that had Leadbolt. That app is Traffic Jam Free (by JiuzhangTech Ltd), which was last updated on 10/24, right about the time I started seeing this spam.

This is could very well be the culprit!

I didn't get any notification ad spams today though, but I'm deleting this app for sure.

Anyone else have this app?

EDIT:

BINGO!!! We have a winner!

Many market comments about this.
    https://market.android.com/details?i...gtech.rushhour

I guess now someone needs to write a leadbot detector!

+ Reply to Thread

Ads