Onavo?

This is a discussion on Onavo? within the Droid X Apps forums, part of the Droid X Extras category; Anybody get this from the Market(free)? Is it any good? Reliable? Worth having? Onavo | Free apps, insights and advice to get more our of ...

Thread: Onavo?

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Onavo?

Anybody get this from the Market(free)? Is it any good? Reliable? Worth having?

Onavo | Free apps, insights and advice to get more our of your data plan, at home and abroad
    Droid X2.....Eclipse .

BIG THANKS to SD_Shadow who has also helped me dig out of a hole

A BIG thank you to GoCliffGo who helped me get Eclipse on my X2

When someone shares something of value with you, from which you
    benefit, you have a moral obligation to share it with others...

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane W View Post
    Anybody get this from the Market(free)? Is it any good? Reliable? Worth having?

Onavo | Free apps, insights and advice to get more our of your data plan, at home and abroad
    I got in on the beta test which ran for about a month and have been on the public lite version since it was released around the first of September. To answer your 3 questions 1) Just OK 2) Not real accurate 3) Maybe but falls short of promises. It just allows you to track your data use for your monthly billing period. If you are on a tiered or capped rate structure, that could be helpful but I'm still on unlimited. One of the biggest features that they market in their advertising is saving you money by using data compression to lower your data use...but it's not available for Android yet. It does provide some potentially useful information and graphs to show your running total data use for the month as well as the amount of data being used individually by each app. However I'm not sure how accurate it is as the data on Onava this month is lower than shown on the more official VZW Data Use widget. They released an update a week or two ago that was supposed to improve the accuracy and it has gotten better. There's also some notifications you can set if you download apps that are known to be data hogs and if an app is abusing data running in the background. It's got a ways to go...but it's a free app right now, so you might give it a shot yourself to see what you think.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by B360155 View Post
    I got in on the beta test which ran for about a month and have been on the public lite version since it was released around the first of September. To answer your 3 questions 1) Just OK 2) Not real accurate 3) Maybe but falls short of promises. It just allows you to track your data use for your monthly billing period. If you are on a tiered or capped rate structure, that could be helpful but I'm still on unlimited. One of the biggest features that they market in their advertising is saving you money by using data compression to lower your data use...but it's not available for Android yet. It does provide some potentially useful information and graphs to show your running total data use for the month as well as the amount of data being used individually by each app. However I'm not sure how accurate it is as the data on Onava this month is lower than shown on the more official VZW Data Use widget. They released an update a week or two ago that was supposed to improve the accuracy and it has gotten better. There's also some notifications you can set if you download apps that are known to be data hogs and if an app is abusing data running in the background. It's got a ways to go...but it's a free app right now, so you might give it a shot yourself to see what you think.
    Thanks for the prompt, very informative reply. Like you, I am still on the unlimited plan, so I don't know that it's worth having this on my Droid, as a free app or a $1.99 app sometime in the future. Doesn't seem to be worth tracking your data use for the monthly billing period when I have unlimited. Although many good reviews, these negatives tell me I'll regret getting it.

by Caleb– September 15, 2011
    Cant get rid of stupid status bar symbol

by immrbiggs– September 16, 2011
    Uninstalling because of notification icon I can't turn off

by Dan– September 17, 2011
    Really does not need a permanent icon in the notification area and no way to turn it off. Also shows less than 50% of the data I actually use.

by koko– September 20, 2011
    Slow! App Data breakdown is so inaccurate! I wonder if its using a sum of historical data.

by DigitalCielo– September 20, 2011
    Does not check traffic spent on stock browser/Dolphin/Firefox.

by Jmp– September 21, 2011
    Update sucks Remove the status bar icon. Will uninstall if this is not fixed

I was interested to see what experience(s) others in DX Forum have had with it. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Lane W; 09-23-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    Droid X2.....Eclipse .

BIG THANKS to SD_Shadow who has also helped me dig out of a hole

A BIG thank you to GoCliffGo who helped me get Eclipse on my X2

When someone shares something of value with you, from which you
    benefit, you have a moral obligation to share it with others...

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Actually, the last update changed it so that you can get rid of the status bar icon...BUT, it also says it'll be more accurate if you leave the icon on in your status bar so that Android doesn't shut Onavo off...so, what's the point? One other thing is it does use some juice too. On my battery usage graph, it's showing 4% today for Onavo Lite. I'm sure I'll be uninstalling it in the not too distant future.

Remove Ads

Ads